Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Arrgh stir crazy we need a new system
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 12, 20 8:17 pm    Arrgh stir crazy we need a new system Reply with quote

Okay, most of you know I have been a strong advocate for staying home... But I just want to say ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!

Maybe we could develop a new system to access kite locations that was safe, fair, and politically correct(ish).

What about a lottery system. You buy tickets for your chance to solely have free access to a kite launch location?

Perhaps a bidding system for exclusive access at a specific time.

How would we address mobility?

What are your thoughts?

Could we actually develop a system that allowed us some access while still being safe?

Lay it out, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the funny...

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 12, 20 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

My feeling is anything that encourages--meaning to, or not--folks to travel from places with higher infection rates, which is just about everywhere, to the summer wonderland we live in will haunt the community of Hood River. down the road in the near future.

Stay the course

Really difficult on so many levels, many of which are beyond the act of kiting for sure.

I feel the alternative is much, much worse.

Hang in there, brother.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 12, 20 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

We need a new system in a lot of ways.
This whole
Stay the course
Stay home
Self isolate
Quarantine
Flatten the curve

Might just be nonsense. It is all based on partial, incomplete and almost certainly wrong numbers. By the people in charge who don’t give a damn about you or me, never have, never will and have been consistently wrong about every major policy action for the last 50+ years.
The appropriate response to a pandemic can not be expected from political hacks and professional liars.
Until you understand basic physiology, cell physiology, cell immune response, humoral immune response, herd immunity, economics and human nature you don’t have a chance in hell of getting it right.
[(EDIT) a New York front line hospital MD has just released a vid saying the symptoms they are seeing don’t match & there is a major possibility the accepted diagnosis is incorrect.]
If it could have been contained quickly then quarantine might have worked. But it is far to late for that now. Human nature and stupidity will keep just enough people out and about for this to ‘just go away’.
And even if you could/did flatten the curve, why is that any better in the long term. It will certainly help in the short run to not overload the hospitals as quickly or as badly and will prevent some deaths. But what is the actual survival rate of people that go on ventilators? If its really low that adds to the problem. But in the long run it might make things far, far worse. With the economic problems going on for longer, depression, suicide and starvation become major problems. Not to mention the other effects from being stuck like a decreased immune response and in the US loss of jobs leading to loss of health care beyond people that never had it. And as the virus goes on for longer it has far more chance to mutate into something truly horrific. Or maybe become harmless, we really have no idea if what we are doing is helping or not. But it is the party line so stay the course and wait for the gaslighting afterwards. You know, it wasn’t a big deal so we need to get back to normal ASAP. When normal isn’t really something to strive for.
Maybe we should have quarantined the tiny percentage of immune suppressed and older folks. You know, the ones in danger and let the rest of us get back to life and building that herd immunity thing. You know, how we always have done it without destruction of the world economy. Also, there is a fairly good chance there will be an antibody treatment soon so if you get it and have mid level problems you can be treated quickly and effectively and not need the hospital.
Normally wouldn’t have posted this. Just a thought or two as I am a bit bored.
Stuck inside for no good reasons. I can self isolate outdoors just fine , thank you.

Last edited by knotwindy on Mon Apr 13, 20 1:15 pm; edited 4 times in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 12, 20 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
My feeling is anything that encourages--meaning to, or not--folks to travel from places with higher infection rates, which is just about everywhere, to the summer wonderland we live in will haunt the community of Hood River. down the road in the near future.

Excellent point!!!

Unless of course they are mega rich.

What if non-locals had to pay an extra $1k per bid for a session. The $1k was distributed to the local businesses that are most impacted by this epidemic.

Could we still make it safe?

Am I still PC(ish)?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 12, 20 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

I do like the way you think! Kinda like a $10,000/plate political donor dinner.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Apr 13, 20 7:25 am     Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/NjjybyJ59Lw
Last edited by Hein on Mon Apr 13, 20 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 13, 20 10:35 am     Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by knotwindy on Mon Apr 13, 20 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 13, 20 11:04 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
We need a new system in a lot of ways.
This whole
Stay the course
Stay home
Self isolate
Quarantine
Flatten the curve

Might just be nonsense. It is all based on partial, incomplete and almost certainly wrong numbers. By the people in charge who don’t give a damn about you or me, never have, never will and have been consistently wrong about every major policy action for the last 50+ years.
The appropriate response to a pandemic can not be expected from political hacks and professional liars.
Until you understand basic physiology, cell physiology, cell immune response, humoral immune response, herd immunity, economics and human nature you don’t have a chance in hell of getting it right.
If it could have been contained quickly then quarantine might have worked. But it is far to late for that now. Human nature and stupidity will keep just enough people out and about for this to ‘just go away’.
And even if you could/did flatten the curve, why is that any better in the long term. It will certainly help in the short run to not overload the hospitals as quickly or as badly and will prevent some deaths. But what is the actual survival rate of people that go on ventilators? If its really low that adds to the problem. But in the long run it might make things far, far worse. With the economic problems going on for longer, depression, suicide and starvation become major problems. Not to mention the other effects from being stuck like a decreased immune response and in the US loss of jobs leading to loss of health care beyond people that never had it. And as the virus goes on for longer it has far more chance to mutate into something truly horrific. Or maybe become harmless, we really have no idea if what we are doing is helping or not. But it is the party line so stay the course and wait for the gaslighting afterwards. You know, it wasn’t a big deal so we need to get back to normal ASAP. When normal isn’t really something to strive for.
Maybe we should have quarantined the tiny percentage of immune suppressed and older folks. You know, the ones in danger and let the rest of us get back to life and building that herd immunity thing. You know, how we always have done it without destruction of the world economy. Also, there is a fairly good chance there will be an antibody treatment soon so if you get it and have mid level problems you can be treated quickly and effectively and not need the hospital.
Normally wouldn’t have posted this. Just a thought or two as I am a bit bored.
Stuck inside for no good reasons. I can self isolate outdoors just fine , thank you.

Well said!

How about “Recreate in your own State” for the rest of the year? If you work across the bridge, no you can’t recreate in said work-State. Purely for outdoors non-working activities.

Thoughts?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 13, 20 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

pollywog wrote:

Well said!

How about “Recreate in your own State” for the rest of the year? If you work across the bridge, no you can’t recreate in said work-State. Purely for outdoors non-working activities.

Thoughts?

I like that - and honestly it may come to that. Numbers in Oregon are pretty low right now, especially relative to other states. If we can keep on the path to even lower numbers and institute some wider testing and contact tracing Oregon could open again...unless people from other states with higher rates of infection come to visit.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 13, 20 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Gonna be a tough sell to the Gorge businesses that are based on tourism.

Yet another reason we should succeed from the union and form the great State of Cascadia.... or Jefferson.

We have nothing in common with the East coast, Midwest, or the deep south.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 13, 20 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

pollywog wrote:

...How about “Recreate in your own State” for the rest of the year?
Thoughts?...

user124 wrote:

I like that - and honestly it may come to that. Numbers in Oregon are pretty low right now, especially relative to other states. If we can keep on the path to even lower numbers and institute some wider testing and contact tracing Oregon could open again...unless people from other states with higher rates of infection come to visit.

I think it is reasonable to expect Hood River's and Wasco County's numbers to jump radically over the next few months. We will have a number of people moving here coming from states with much higher numbers.

-Migrant Pickers
-Summer Recreationalists

Let's hope we can get some reasonable testing methods out soon.

*edited to change from Oregon to specifically list local counties*

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Apr 13, 20 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I do like the way you think! Kinda like a $10,000/plate political donor dinner.

Well, I'm out.

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostMon Apr 13, 20 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Gonna be a tough sell to the Gorge businesses that are based on tourism.

Yet another reason we should succeed from the union and form the great State of Cascadia.... or Jefferson.

Easy now,I'm a right coaster,and the one common bond is our love for kiteboarding ! But after watching "Portlandia" you may be right.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 13, 20 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Okay, I know this was an off the cuff knee jerk comment, but I do find the following article interesting:

https://www.newsweek.com/california-oregon-washington-announce-joint-plan-ease-social-distancing-restrictions-reopen-1497634

There is definitely some tribalism building as we work through this pandemic time.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostTue Apr 14, 20 7:09 am     Reply with quote

There is still a stay at home order for a reason, because it works. That means keep your conspiracy theories and sense of entitlement at home, in your yard, or immediate locale. That is the only reason why Oregon is doing better than other places in the country. Nobody is out on the water because people here respect their community. Do the same. The only way to end this as soon as safely possible is through a collaborative effort.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 14, 20 7:59 am     Reply with quote

Just about every business is suffering. Many businesses will not survive. This shouldn’t be about promoting or solely attempting to keep businesses afloat. Its about trying to find a different way to exist during a very trying time. Mental health is important for individuals in this state. There’s not a person that wants any business to fail but not all will make it.

What we don’t need is tourists from hard-hit states coming this year to recreate. Keeping the doors closed to the forest and state parks will eventually cause problems cuz people in this State will go stir crazy. More confrontations with local officials will likely result. More citizens breaking the rules will surely occur. Confrontations between ruler breakers...etc.

We need to think out-of-the-box. Shutting down the state to other states is PERHAPS a way to acknowledge Oregonians good behavior? Our numbers for CO vid are low. It could be a temporary measure too. Probably the next 6-10 months. It’s not a good idea but it seems it could be better then telling people in a State whose numbers are low to stay at home when the weather they crave and the outdoors they need is at its best. Breaking laws will be the result. Acknowledging good behavior might go a long ways in promoting other behaviors people should abstain from like getting together in groups.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 14, 20 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Okay I started this thread pretty much out of frustation. Just because I truly am getting stir crazy.

However I think it is important to recognize that eventually the parks will be opened and stay at home orders will be removed.

How does kiteboarding transition?

What become the new kiting protocols in a social distancing environment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: