Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Landboarding death in Redmond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostMon Feb 24, 20 1:22 pm    Landboarding death in Redmond Reply with quote

https://ktvz.com/news/accidents-crashes/2020/02/24/redmond-man-killed-in-land-kiteboarding-accident-at-redmond-fairgrounds/

The wind in town was crazy yesterday, and this news is very hard to take in. So sad he lost his life.

I kited Wickiup yesterday and was a blast, the winds in town were very different.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Feb 24, 20 2:59 pm    Wow Reply with quote

Very sad indeed - best wishes to this man and his family. As much as we love land kiting, I'd consider using a wing from now on. Much less risky and can provide a more gentle pull. RIP

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 24, 20 4:49 pm    Re: Landboarding death in Redmond Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
https://ktvz.com/news/accidents-crashes/2020/02/24/redmond-man-killed-in-land-kiteboarding-accident-at-redmond-fairgrounds/

The wind in town was crazy yesterday, and this news is very hard to take in. So sad he lost his life.

I kited Wickiup yesterday and was a blast, the winds in town were very different.

Very unfortunate for sure. RIP
The article said the kiter who died that he was new to the sport and had done it for about a year.

Reading between the lines it sounds like to me that the guy was still fairly "green" to kiting.

A lot of kiting is reading the winds and weather and knowing when to say to yourself, "time to stand-down, I'll get it next time".

Yes, the winds were really crazy yesterday all over the PNW. I skiied yesterday at Bachelor and the winds seemed to be stronger at certain elevations on the mountain And mellow at others; this was true all the way down to Bend and back through Redmond, over Hood and back down to PDX.

Kiting Wickiup yesterday sounds cold, but congrats on scoring a session!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: