Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Share an OG story.. win a sweet twin tip and skim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Feb 20, 20 6:51 pm    Share an OG story.. win a sweet twin tip and skim Reply with quote

So I have been trying to sell my crazy fly raptor carbon twin tip and roush creations skim board. It seems that most kiters think that you need 2018 graphics for a board to perform well.

You want a horrible history of kiteboarding? I still have my original slingshot board..the one with 4 fine on the heel side. The one that couldn't hold an edge is your life depended on it... and there were times when it did. Kites didnt de power in 2004.. and the safety system de rigor was the wrist leash.

Anyways, I dont kite anymore and motor sports are my jam now.

So..
Share an OG story, and you can just have the boards... examples could include..sexual escapades at a NWkite party, watching a newb get rag dolled at rooster, naming the unspeakable found at rooster rock, witnessing Gman ride from.astoria to the Dallas on a 6m

Sound like a plan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 20, 20 9:32 pm    monkies Reply with quote

I ONCE WITNESSED A HAIRY BIPEDAL CREATURE BEING PULLED ACROSS THE RIVER BY SOME THINGY ATTACHED TO STRINGS. He was making frightened mewling noises and flinging his feces at me every time he flailed past me. I was concerned by his predicament and apparent lack pf skill, but as I was ON STARBOARD TACK, I just ignored him and continued with my life
I've often wondered what became of this seemingly missing link of evolution, learned he sustained major brain damage from inhaling petrol fumes. Shocked

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostFri Feb 21, 20 11:23 am     Reply with quote

One time I was kiting in Lincoln city in the ocean at the mouth of the siletz river/bay. The wind was light and I was on a 12m. The wind dropped and I couldn't stay on top of the water and I was getting hit by waves and lost my board. I body dragged back to the shore and waited for my board to wash up on the beach. unfortunately the tide was coming in fast and i caught sight of my board as it got swept into the bay with the rush of incoming water. It was just a few yards from shore but all I could do was stand there and watch as the tide took it in and then down the bay out of sight.

Frustrated, we hopped in the car and drove down the bay hoping it would get washed ashore somewhere and I could get it back. we stopped in a few of the accessible places along the shore of the bay but I had no luck in finding it. We were close to giving up when I got a call, someone had found the board and called my number! He gave me directions to his house and we drove out to his location. At the far south end of the bay the is the siletz river. We followed the GPS up the river about a mile from the bay and pulled into his house on the bank of the river. He gave me the board and I thanked him and asked him where he found it, assuming he was boating in the bay and spotted it. He said no it was floating up the river right in front of his house so he grabbed it. Amazingly the tide had swept it from the ocean north of the bay to his house on the river just under 5 miles away from where I had lost it. I had no idea the tides moved that much water!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Feb 21, 20 1:26 pm    Re: Share an OG story.. win a sweet twin tip and skim Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
So I have been trying to sell my crazy fly raptor carbon twin tip and roush creations skim board. It seems that most kiters think that you need 2018 graphics for a board to perform well.

You want a horrible history of kiteboarding? I still have my original slingshot board..the one with 4 fine on the heel side. The one that couldn't hold an edge is your life depended on it... and there were times when it did. Kites didnt de power in 2004.. and the safety system de rigor was the wrist leash.

Anyways, I dont kite anymore and motor sports are my jam now.

So..
Share an OG story, and you can just have the boards... examples could include..sexual escapades at a NWkite party, watching a newb get rag dolled at rooster, naming the unspeakable found at rooster rock, witnessing Gman ride from.astoria to the Dallas on a 6m

Sound like a plan?

Awe, the west/WNW winds of the Winter and Spring. I distinctly remember doing a downwinder from Sunset to Seaside on 4-18-08; the west swell was 10' and lighter winds. I was riding a 16m C kite and TT and it took me about 1 mile downwind to get past the big, glassy break. Finally there was a rip that created a window to exit out past the break. For the next mile I rode on the outside of the breaking waves (super green and glassy) as the direction of the wind made it hard to ride the breaking waves on the inside. After two miles downwind, one person from our downwind possee walks onto the beach, so I decided to ride in and see that was the matter with him or his gear. I hop on to the forming wave and attempt to ride it in, however, with the west swell and the W/WNW wind, the wave pushes/lurches me too far forward/ahead of my kite, my lines go lack, and the kite Hindenburgs down onto the water. The kite is impossible to relaunch with the conditions so I let it pull me ashore as I was getting rather beaten by the large break. The kite was older and the waves blew out the canopy.

Moral of the story: if it takes you 1 mile of downwind riding to get outside the break with the conditions/wind and swell moving in similar directions, it probably is going to take you about the same distance to get back to shore. I should have eased my way back to shore instead of trying to get back on one tack/wave.

The other point of this story is these types of winds that come mid winter and in the Spring push all types of fossum (trapped in inter-ocean current flows) into coastal currents that make contact with our coastline. On my walk of shame hike back upwind to the upwind/launch car (2 miles upwind vs 5 miles downwind), [i]I discovered a very nice basketball sized Japanese glass fishing ball right at the water line. You can see the ball on this vid (minute 2:41) into this awesome kiting vid.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11782.html&highlight=

And speaking of OG, . . . Northern Strip, "Phivothri Love"

https://vimeo.com/2653992

"sexual escapades at a NWkite party": I always molested my drink cup at those parties as the booze was free.

"watching a newb get rag dolled at rooster":

I was at Rooster once and saw a newbie get gusted, picked up, and slammed down hard on the sand. He got knocked out for a spell and got bruised up some. Since then, I see him from time-to-time at a gym we both belong to in PDX. Cool dude as he is on the volunteer search and recue for Mt. Hood and he still kites.

"naming the unspeakable found at rooster rock":

"This one time, at band camp",

Shay ( aka pacifichigh) and Gman found a VietSchlong punji stick (dildo in the sand) on the beach near the waters edge.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3981.html&highlight=dildo

"witnessing Gman ride from.astoria to the Dallas on a 6m":

I've never heard of this story, but if anyone could do it or did it, it would've been OG GMAN.

PDXMB your posts and humor are deeply missed here on NWkite.

Screenshot (9).png 

Last edited by Sasquatch on Fri Feb 21, 20 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Feb 21, 20 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

OMG... anyone that can post a link of the BEST kite video of all time AND the "black magic" thread.. you win hands down!

I do miss the antics of the early days of kiting.

I once saw this french guy get lofted into the willows at rooster, he came out looking like he got into a fight with wolverine.
I remember what's his nuts getting slammed into the side of a subaru at Jones beach.

Skate kiting at the airport

Nearly drowning in the break at manzanitta, at 5:30 AM day patrol at rooster before my office job.

Spraying herbicide on all the shrubs at the stevenson launch in the middle of the night.

Lots of fun, who knows, maybe I'll get back into it. The foils do look fun.

Anyways.. Sasquatch gets gear!! That CF board has soooo much POP. It's sooo fun.

I'll hit you up.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 22, 20 12:18 am    503 OG's Reply with quote

Awesome!!! Sasquatch for keeping the Song Lines...of NW Kite

Come Back PDX MB - - - Wind is healthier than gas Smile

WIND SLITHER - SICK Archive of classics: https://vimeo.com/user1083399

the 503 : PIMP Cup needs to come back as the travelling trophy for HUCKFEST

STAAAAAARBOARD - LOL Thumb's Up

Mc

2020-02-22_00-12-14.png 
   2020-02-22_00-17-34.png 

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Feb 22, 20 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

My favorite video ever: "I'm a kite launcher."

Monkey, you should come back at least once a year. Smile It would be a great excuse for a party! The annual "MonkeyBoy Tries to Foil" party! It would just ruin it though if you kept at it and got good. Or worse, God forbid, if you were one of those $%#$%^ who just try it and are up and riding. Either way though, we need an excuse for another party. Smile

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostSun Feb 23, 20 10:42 am     Reply with quote

I think stringfellow has a couple pictures of me trying to foil. I was at sauvie and they were like "you should try this". And being the monkey I was like "give me that stupid thing I am going to crush this".

Sure.. no advice given like.."yeah..don't lean back when you start" they just stood there laughing at me.

I recall when the grinch was in vogue and we were all out at the spit pounding beers and jumping this ramp. There was a REALLY drunk dude on street clothes that kept wanting to try. We resisted at first but we finally gave him a go. Of course.. he totally ate shit, I can't remember if he crashed into the ramp or actually made it over the ramp but I do recall someone saying:I think dude broke his neck.

And .... this guy.

kite_me_722.jpg 

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 28, 20 8:31 am    I feel the draw. Reply with quote

I too am feeling the draw of petrol. Yesterday we were up on the plains snowbiking. Stringy got a kite in the air.
Kiting coast today sunset to lot B.
But half of the Summer is dirtbiking and that percentage keeps increasing.
Where's waldo kite pic.

IMG_25891.jpg 
   Resized_20200227_133127.jpeg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: