Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Iso hoodriver beginner quiver and size question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pnwclutch

Since 31 Jan 2020
4 Posts
Vancouver Washington
Kook

PostSun Feb 02, 20 8:45 am    Iso hoodriver beginner quiver and size question Reply with quote

Looking to start getting gear prior to lessons so I'm not paying for lessons/buying gear all at once.

I live in Vancouver wa so I'll definitely be between Portland and hoodriver.

I currently weigh 215 lbs should I stick with the 7,8,9 quiver or maybe bump it up a bit? I keep finding deals on 2019 rpm 10m's

Fun story I'd like to get a rpm first which I'm kind of partial too. Back when I started whitewater kayaking my first hard shell kayak was a dagger rpm so it would be pretty rad to have my first kite being an rpm

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Feb 02, 20 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Welcome!

7-8-9 is way too close. 7-9-12 is a great quiver For the Gorge. If you're going to ride Sauvie--an excellent choice for a beginner--throw a 17m Turbine into the mix with the RPMs. I rode RPMs for years, it's a great kite. But in the 12m size I prefer the Rally. That said, the last 12m RPM I rode was a 2010, they probably improved that size quite a bit in the last decade. Smile

From Vancouver Jones beach, Hood River and Sauvie Island are all about equidistant. Yes, Jones is a longer drive but the fact that you can rig and launch right from your car--if you have a 4WD--means that time from your driveway to launching your kite is actually less for Jones than HR.

Sauvie is the most beginner friendly launch, but the wind can be fickle. Drinking a soda--damn--while waiting for wind is part of the experience. (They banned alcohol at Sauvie.) Minimal chop at Sauvie make it a great spot to learn.

Jones has more reliable wind than Sauvie and a nice beach. The wind is gustier at Jones than at Sauvie. The water is choppier at Jones than most other launches around here.

HR is really crowded in the Summer. Reliable wind and crowds. The water tends to be more swell than chop.

Once you're up and riding there are spots all over you'll want to explore!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 02, 20 3:12 pm    Quiver 101 Reply with quote

YES! Fire up that STOKE METER - get your RPM's

I'd say get a 10m and good idea to have an 8m too to start, simple is good. With these two you can just decide between yes it's windy or whoa it's blowing and have the right kite. Get on the water a ton you will figure out the rest later, which stuff makes you most happy...

If you show up and see no whitecaps go mountain biking - if it's smoke on the water (too windy) go somewhere else. These 2 tips will SAVE you more than you know... many sad stories happen when the wind dies or is nuking which will be tons of fun later, not at first.

Last tip, Stick with modern gear it will save you both time and money in the long run. There are many many great options that don't matter now, JUST GO KITE and GET STOKED!!!

my .02

Mc

Pnwclutch

Since 31 Jan 2020
4 Posts
Vancouver Washington
Kook

PostMon Feb 03, 20 5:30 am     Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info! Never heard of jones beach definitely will be checking it out though!

Nak wrote:
Welcome!

7-8-9 is way too close. 7-9-12 is a great quiver For the Gorge. If you're going to ride Sauvie--an excellent choice for a beginner--throw a 17m Turbine into the mix with the RPMs. I rode RPMs for years, it's a great kite. But in the 12m size I prefer the Rally. That said, the last 12m RPM I rode was a 2010, they probably improved that size quite a bit in the last decade. Smile

From Vancouver Jones beach, Hood River and Sauvie Island are all about equidistant. Yes, Jones is a longer drive but the fact that you can rig and launch right from your car--if you have a 4WD--means that time from your driveway to launching your kite is actually less for Jones than HR.

Sauvie is the most beginner friendly launch, but the wind can be fickle. Drinking a soda--damn--while waiting for wind is part of the experience. (They banned alcohol at Sauvie.) Minimal chop at Sauvie make it a great spot to learn.

Jones has more reliable wind than Sauvie and a nice beach. The wind is gustier at Jones than at Sauvie. The water is choppier at Jones than most other launches around here.

HR is really crowded in the Summer. Reliable wind and crowds. The water tends to be more swell than chop.

Pnwclutch

Since 31 Jan 2020
4 Posts
Vancouver Washington
Kook

PostMon Feb 03, 20 5:31 am    Re: Quiver 101 Reply with quote

Hell yeah! This comment pretty much confirms how rad this year is going to be! 🤙

Thanks for the info now to start looking for those kite deals!

McLovin wrote:
YES! Fire up that STOKE METER - get your RPM's

I'd say get a 10m and good idea to have an 8m too to start, simple is good. With these two you can just decide between yes it's windy or whoa it's blowing and have the right kite. Get on the water a ton you will figure out the rest later, which stuff makes you most happy...

If you show up and see no whitecaps go mountain biking - if it's smoke on the water (too windy) go somewhere else. These 2 tips will SAVE you more than you know... many sad stories happen when the wind dies or is nuking which will be tons of fun later, not at first.

Last tip, Stick with modern gear it will save you both time and money in the long run. There are many many great options that don't matter now, JUST GO KITE and GET STOKED!!!

my .02

Mc

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 03, 20 7:21 am    Welcome to the addiction! Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Welcome!

[b]Yeah, exactly what NAK said.

You'll save yourself gas $ for not getting skunked (no wind) or reversed skunked (too much wind) by adding that 3rd kite--it will pay for itself in no time. Get the Rally 12m.
True Sauvies is a gem for learning, but so fickle. Better off going to Jones. Make sure to get a hooded 5/4 wetsuit for early spring water temps.

The other thing to consider is getting a 10m instead of the 9m. You're a bit heavier than most riders. I'm 175 lbs w/nothing on and I have a 7,9, 12m and ride a surfboard.

Also, living in Couvlanistan you'll be super close to Woodland launch and Kalama-Rama--also light wind locales with similar wind speeds as Sauvies as it is relatively close to Sauvies and gets the same wind for the most part.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Feb 03, 20 5:44 pm; edited 4 times in total

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Feb 03, 20 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Factoring your weight, think bigger like Nak stated above. When you're learning power is your friend and knowing how to control an over powered kite is a must have skill for the Gorge. On the flip side, flying in no wind lulls is most challenging so dry land fly your smaller kites in light conditions as often as possible until you can fly to the touch staring at the ground. Buy a great fitting helmet early, not later.

You'll be able to find a quiver of older RPM's you can beat up but your first board choice is more important. Your instructor will have the right one to learn with but eventually find a 142 cm, or bigger, you won't mind watching float away because it will sooner or later.

Force yourself to meet at least 3 potential instructors, or more, before you decide who gets your time and dime. Not committing to one instructor on the spot for lessons is their first test, not yours. Thankfully in the PNW lot's of quality instruction to choose from but trust and relationship is paramount and I promise you you'll never forget them, good or bad experience. Don't lead on how stoked you are or how your other board skills will make kiting easier. They've heard it all before and instruction pace is complex when it's correctly catered to each student. They should be grilling you a bit up front and building a plan. It's not easy for a non-kiter to figure out who wants you to succeed long-term and who is filling a calendar slot so it's your responsibility to pre-learn as much as you can to expedite your learning curve while being humble enough to realize you haven't experienced any of it yet.

Best of success. Welcome to the madness.

Painful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9V2iWNOb4

Good tips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAUct7Av7xw

JK

Since 27 Jul 2011
9 Posts

Kook

PostMon Feb 03, 20 11:58 am     Reply with quote

Hey,

I am close to your weight and in the same location (just down river from Vancouver).
I have a quiver of Cabrinha Switchblades: 6M, 10M,12M,14M, & 16M.
This seems to cover me from Jones to the gorge. That being said I am adding an 8M to the lineup as the jump from 6-10 sometimes is not ideal.

Jones I am usually on the 6, 10, or 12, some light days have been on the 14
Down river from Vancouver (Woodland/Kalama) - some 10M days but mostly 14 and 16
The gorge 6, 10, or 12

This would be on a 141 twin tip with a directional surfboard thrown in for lighter days or mixing it up with strapless.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Feb 03, 20 2:51 pm    Gear Reply with quote

I am the same size and 12/9/7 works well for me . I agree with the rally comment - in fact at your size, I'd go all rally's - stronger pulling kite than the RPM, also a little slower - which is a good thing as a beginner.

On the board - you will start on a twin tip - go with wider - 42 or 43 wide - length 140ish.

Lots of other kites would be good - Cabrinha Switchblade, Naish Pivot, F one Bandit to name a few. You can find great deals on kites with little use on IKitesurf. Dont go older than 2015 and make sure the condition is "very good" or "like new". You should be able to get these for 400ish, use for a year and sell for 300ish.

Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: