Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Camas Prairie MLK weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
aweissfeld

Since 29 Jul 2015
16 Posts
Gorge

PostThu Jan 16, 20 11:49 pm    Camas Prairie MLK weekend Reply with quote

Heading to Camas Prairie for the first time this weekend. Have combed through the posts here on snow kiting and pretty stoked to give it a try. Any tips on the area are appreciated! And of course, if you're also heading that way, we'd love to synch up with some fellow gorge kiters. Cheers!

--Amy

solkiter

Since 07 Jan 2008
251 Posts
ROGUE VALLEY
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 17, 20 11:13 am     Reply with quote

Loooks good!!blowin!
Yes pine turn off rd up few miles epic spots!!

TWISTED KITEBOARDS

solkiter

Since 07 Jan 2008
251 Posts
ROGUE VALLEY
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 17, 20 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Also last chance..its the first spot as you crest the pass to cammas valley..right at the summmit..parking on yur left kiting eather side of rd!..but the right side is the funnest Very Happy
TWISTED KITEBOARDS

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostSun Jan 19, 20 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Be great to get a quick review of your trip out there.

I've made it out there twice - the first time we had 5-6ft walls on each side of the highway and the 2nd time it was 1-2ft and pretty thin. There is a great camera that I checked out both times, here it is:

https://lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/cameras/camera.jsf?zoom=8&view=state&text=m&textOnly=false&id=35

Seems like if you have sufficient snow coverage and the slight chance of 12m winds, it is worth the drive out. But if the snow depth is less than 3ft at the highway, there is a lot of shubbery / etc to hit and the other local non-wind options (skinning / Soldier Mtn) might not be that great either.

Want to hear how your trip went - I'm hoping to get out there this winter as well.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jan 20, 20 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

It has been nice up here at Skyline in Utah. 2 WA plates this weekend and 2 OR plates this weekend. Refresh of snow is on its way and somewhat needed, as the snowmobilers have really messed the place up. Some of my bad landings have contributed to ugly snow also. The wind is pretty consistent, typically 15 to 18 kite fully powered, and 12 being the minimum, just like every other year here.

Strawberry Reservoir spots are almost all good to go. Strawberry River has been great for a while.

Camas is a nice place to kite, but Skyline / strawberry in Utah is pretty much a guaranteed everyday deal. Just make sure you have a good light wind kite.

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostTue Jan 21, 20 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

How bad is the road going up ? Is it possible to get into the parking lots with a 25 ft regular motorhome ? Thanks. Skyline that is.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 22, 20 11:22 am    high Reply with quote

The Skyline road is the highest plowed road in Utah. (10,000'). The snowkite parking areas have already received over 200" of snow this year. The approach is a steep mountain road up a canyon.

You know your RV best and it's capabilities.

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostWed Jan 22, 20 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

I guess I should of asked the question a little differently . Do you guys see motorhomes up in the parking lot and how often .thanks it would be nice to drive up for a few days

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Jan 26, 20 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

Yes RVs do go up to the skyline parking lot. I have even seen some older ones. But none yet this year. The road up there is pretty steep but not unreasonable. There is a sign stating that all vehicles must have snow tires or chains with them available to put on.

The drive up the Canyon from Fairview, is usually much warmer and dries off fairly quickly after a snowstorm. But when it is snowing at the lower elevations, and this road has snow cover, it is a bit sketchy because of the steep grade.

Once you get up to the turn off for Scofield, the rest of the road up to Skyline parking lot is not as steep, but more likely to be snow covered.

I would make sure that you have time to wait out a storm/wait for the County to plow the road. The snow falls are typically fairly predictable, but it often snows in extra day up at the top compared to just a bit lower at the turn for Scofield.

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostTue Jan 28, 20 5:19 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Matt that's awesome info . We tow a 4x4 behind our motorhome so we will do a day trip up in that to see how it is .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: