Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Viento Sensor Back On-Line
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 03, 19 1:28 pm    Viento Sensor Back On-Line Reply with quote

Whoop whoop!

No more drive by required.

Sweet

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Dec 04, 19 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

I’m thinking about getting a dry suit. How many days am I really going to get to use it, though?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 04, 19 8:22 pm    OT - DRYsuit Reply with quote

tkaraszewski ---> . Do it!!!

I just got mine - they have come a long way since my old BARE Polar Heat...
Others will have much more experience and suggestions to be sure -

Go see Dave @windance or your favorite shop in town - I like the OR suits for the around the neck T-zip - hard to say how much you will use it but life is short? Why not get all the toys... Thumb's Up

You will have new options for FUN times like getting out at Rooster in DEC like I did for the 1st time last Monday - felt like a nice October Day even spent a few minutes on the beach taking in the view totally warm and dry after packing up.

*Pro TIP: bring a dry hat and gloves to switch on land for comfort mode*

Remember spring runoff keeps the water very chilly well into MAY - when do you want to start your season - ?

Mc

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 04, 19 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

3.5 hours Viento Foil butter 7m wind. Ocean Rodeo Soul dry suit with integrated socks added by Jerry of Dry suit repair express in Beaverton. One piece polypro thermal, wool socks, 4mm hood, NRS 3mm kayak gloves. 37 deg air 47 deg water. Toasty warm and dry. I came in because the light was fading.

My season is now endless.

Get good gloves, neo hood and goretex dry suit. Highly rec integrated socks or have Jerry add them. Wool or poly pro thermal underwear keeps you warm. The suit keeps you dry. As in fall in as much as you want dry. The OR Soul is a nice suit. I wish it came with goretex socks, but they can be added for about $150. Several of us had them added. You need to wear booties over the goretex socks. Do not walk around in just the sock as you will put holes in them. I wear 7mm O’Neill Heat booties over socks. I went up two sizes and they slide right on-easy. I tried the Glacier Gloves but not warm enough for me—for most folks they are though. I’m a string bean. I use NRS rescue gloves. Can’t recall name. They are lime green. Very warm with good dexterity.

I dress with enough polypro with the assumption I will one day have to swim. The drysuit does not keep you warm; only dry. Dress as if you will be sitting on the Shooting Star Lift on a windy cold day. You will be a toasty kiter. Why goretex? You want the water vapor from body to escape to keep thermal wear dry.

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Dec 05, 19 8:48 am    Drysuit Reply with quote

Does anyone wear a wetsuit under the drysuit? What are pros and cons vs polypro layers?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 05, 19 9:58 am    drysuits Reply with quote

Just a counterpoint to the drysuit enthusiasm. I've had an Ocean Rodeo dry suit for a few years and I honestly don't use it much. I applaud the stoke, but there aren't that many people that get out on the water here in the winter at least relative to the warmer months. The challenges are 1) it's still cold, and hard to get motivated 2) more dangerous 3) harder to find buddies to kite with this time of year (and definitely don't want to go solo because of no 2).

But mainly I just find it's not worth the trouble as long as there is good snow on the mountain and I can get down to Baja during winter to get my fix.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Dec 05, 19 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

At Viento today:

Eric
Walter
JohnB
Todd
Tom
Unknown Windfoiler
Unknown Kitefoiler
Mitch
Steve
Tyler

At Viento Yesterday:

Eric
Walter
Mitch
Tom

At Rock Creek a few days ago

Eric
Walter
Pete
Rob
Larry
Unknown Kitefoiler
Unknown Kitefoiler
Unknown Kiter
Unknown Kiter

At Viento ThanksGiv day

Eric
Dave
Unknown Windfoiler

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 05, 19 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

OK Eric - you've got me convinced. I need to dust off the old drysuit and head out to Viento!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Dec 05, 19 8:59 pm     Reply with quote

Indeed! Friday looks good at Viento. I hope to be there at 11:15 ish after work should be several foilers there if windy.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Dec 06, 19 1:56 am    Re: Drysuit Reply with quote

jayala wrote:
Does anyone wear a wetsuit under the drysuit? What are pros and cons vs polypro layers?

Sometimes. The challenge with a wetsuit is it makes you sweat. Your dry suit turns into an inner wet suit.

I prefer to wear a material that provides a layer of separation against the cold and additionally keeps my sweat away from my skin.

But, when it's cold enough a wetsuit makes a great under alignment as it provides a continuous layer of warmth to my body. I just need to empty out all my sweat when I am done with my session.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 06, 19 7:15 am     Reply with quote

I wear this, then another layer or two of polypro over this if air temp below 40. I tend to need more warmth than most though.

https://www.outdoorplay.com/ir-mens-thick-skin-union-suit?color=3&custcol_size=2&msclkid=6e0145531535161afafb18b97af149f2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=3%20US%20GShop%20MidVal%20Brands%20and%20Models%208.5&utm_term=4581046483141957&utm_content=3%20US%20GShop%20MidVal%20Brands%20and%20Models

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Dec 06, 19 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

think the foiling and drysuit makes the gorge fun year round - the ocean always has potential to kick out a winter session if you are on it - no drysuit required or recommended in the surf

if you invest in the drysuit - might as well be comfortable and wear polypro, fleece or whatever you layer with skiing (all about duel use...) if its a leaky drysuit, a wetsuit might not be a bad idea

was surprised last weekend - went cross country skiing/bird hunting in bend - temp maxed at 20 - the river wave crew was at it with just surf suits

Shocked

https://www.eyeonbend.com/waterpark

viento.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Last edited by Gman on Fri Dec 06, 19 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 06, 19 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

12/6/19

At Viento today:

Eric
John
Todd
Dave
Andy
Tyler
Mitch
Tom

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 10, 19 6:02 am     Reply with quote

Sunday Rock 12/8 Creek:
Eric
Pete
Tom
Bill
Tyler
Mitch
Unknown kiter

Viento 12/9 Monday:
Eric
Andy

Today: I work until 11 today so may miss the Viento window. A few are planing a 9 am session

And yes, having a flexible work schedule is a big plus. So, there is a winter crew that foils all year round. I am getting 2-4 days per week in. With the right gear I find it really fun. For me the right gear is a dry suit with polypro under. I was too warm yesterday with an air temp of 42, and just right the other day with an air temp of 34. I typically stay out for 2-3 hours, sometimes longer. It's all about layering under the dry suit for me. East winds can be amazingly steady. Loving it! Not for everyone, but for me, not going to Baja no longer means not foiling.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 16, 19 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

Viento was butter 8m foiling today, and should be butter 6 m Tuesday. Pretty sure a crew will be there. I'm there at 11:15 ish. Four of us today.

Eric

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 17, 19 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

34-35 degree air, 8m foil wind all day at Viento

Tyler
Walter
Andy
Mike
Mitch
Dave
Eric
Steve
Tom
Todd

Went to 5mm Xcell lobster mitts. Toasty dry hands. The Xcell wrist seals...seal!

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 17, 19 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

Who cares !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: