Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT - Who’s done a kite van build - floor covering?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Oct 28, 19 7:34 am    OT - Who’s done a kite van build - floor covering? Reply with quote

Just got a cargo van, about to do a very basic interior conversion and have questions about floor coverings. Currently it has a thick rubber/ vinyl mat and I notice that after bringing anything wet into the van condensation quickly forms on the underside of the mat. I’m sure over time this would cause rusting of the floor. It seems hard to create good ventilation under impervious flooring. I plan on insulating walls and ceiling and adding a roof fan. I know lots of NWkiters have done van builds any hints or tips on moisture control floor covering? Thanks!

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Oct 28, 19 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

We recommend porch paint on an Okume or birch plywood floor with minicell foam or Thinsulate insulation underneath. An open weave area rug would increase comfort, trap some dirt and allow moisture to dry out better than a vinyl mat. You can take it out to shake it out and dry it if needed. Drop by our warehouse at 1512A Osprey drive in Hood River for everything you need for your van project.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
https://www.ebay.com/str/impactproducts
541 490 5098

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 29, 19 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

First I primed the floor with Rustoleum spray paint.
Then I put sound deadener on 20% of the floor.
Filled the depressions with rigid foam.
Covered that with Bedrug - very happy with results.
Rest of van was sound deadened and insulated with Thinsulate from Hein.
https://bedrug.com/vanrug-cargo-mats

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostWed Oct 30, 19 4:42 am     Reply with quote

We live in our van 6 - 7 months of the year following the wind. Most of our gear isn't dripping wet by the time we get back to the van. If it is, it goes in a Rubbermaid. So, moisture management first. There are cold days where we are stripping out of the suits inside. Knowing this will happen, we built the floor as follows.

1 layer of 1/2" rigid foam insulation. I didn't fill the "grooves" in the metal with minicell foam like many others with the thought that at least air could move around if needed.

3/4" ply on top paying attention to the off gassing that some ply has. Didn't want to be breathing a lot of bad stuff. Ply was primed and painted with porch paint. All coatings were no or low VOC.

We didn't really like our first color choice and found a video on the web showing how to mimic wood planks. Did that and finished with 3 coats of poly. Love it. Holds up well to abuse, sand, moisture, the dog, living, etc. Also doesn't show every piece of dirt or lint.

Looked at vinyl in the beginning. Lots of pluses but didn't like the off gassing.

Our van walls and ceiling is insulated with Thinsulate purchased from Hein.

I had a reason to take the floor up after the first year. No noticeable signs of moisture, rust, etc. Looked clean.

We use a small throw rug at the entry.

Enjoy your build!

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Nov 05, 19 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, good info. I'll definitely be heading over the river to see Hein and get some insulation for the walls and roof.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: