Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGW2 was a great success!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Oct 05, 19 2:51 pm    CGW2 was a great success! Reply with quote

30+ dedicated kiters showed up to the Doug’s clean up today. It will be a beautiful park for all water users!

CC373313-A1F4-4B3E-8365-5655C4A28957.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CC373313-A1F4-4B3E-8365-5655C4A28957.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.18 MB
 Downloaded:  611 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat Oct 05, 19 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

Truly great crowd today. People kept on showing up and everyone worked their butt off to remove some crazy thick nasty stuff.

I hope somebody got some before and after pics because the transformation was pretty cool. Still has a lot of work ahead but the sun and white caps pumping out front all day didn't hurt our motivation as the site potential became more and more clear.

Much appreciation for Bart's coordination and A LOT of kiters because everyone of them was needed!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 05, 19 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't get any before pics, but took a couple of drone shots towards the end of the effort.
Here are some overhead shots that show the new and kite beach

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Oct 05, 19 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

great action shots Stringy, we were all very active!

Makelo295

Since 09 Aug 2016
12 Posts
Hillsboro

PostSun Oct 06, 19 8:04 am     Reply with quote

I was amazed at how much a highly motivated group of people can accomplish when we have a common goal. CGW2 is looking great for kiters!

I am totally stoked to be launching here next year!!

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Oct 06, 19 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

That was a fun half day of work.

That path winds 250’ and 12’ wide through what was solid blackberrys and Indigo, well over head high in most places.

Huge amounts of underbrush was cleared, hauled to the water’s egde and burned. Doug’s State Park is going to be an awesome kite launch.

Great effort everyone!

Thanks to Bart and Bob and Victor for putting this together.

Join CGW2!

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostSun Oct 06, 19 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

That's so awesome that you guys put in the work like that. I feel like such a turd for not being there. I will definitely be using that launch! Thank you!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Oct 07, 19 8:14 am    Thank you all for those that helped create this! Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Truly great crowd today. . . .
Much appreciation for Bart's coordination and A LOT of kiters because everyone of them was needed!

Nice work everyone and thank you all for your efforts!

It will be nice to add another kiting launch to the small list.

I doubt that I will ever been a frequent user of this launch. I will have to try at least once to get another notch on the harness for new places kited.

So I'm curious how this launch is going to work? It appears to me that the path cleared runs from east to west. Will one lay their lines out from east to west and place their pumped up kite at the waters edge? Then will someone have to help launch someone? Most likely the kite launcher will hold the kite while the kiter seeking a launch will walk from east to west, along the newly cleared path, towards the kite and then along the shoreline? This is all assuming the wind is blowing from the west.

If I'm right this is a tight launch and similar in nature to Stevenson (one kite in or one kite out at a time).

If someone is to visit this new launch in the future, how and or what can one do to further the creation/process of this evolving kite launch?

Nice work. . . Thanks again everyone!!!!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 07, 19 10:51 am     Reply with quote

The launch is dependent on how well the root ball and punji sticks were removed by the backhoe. It did most of the removal work after the volunteers left. We had a total of 7 massive burn piles on the shoreline. Once they are raked clean there is a huge area at low water to launch. High water is another story. We will have to wait and see how well the upper clearing is finished up with the backhoe. The narrow 12 foot wide trail is basically there for access and will need constant trimming to keep the blackberries at bay.

After the cleanup, I launched at the windsurfing beach easily and had to walk out 100 yards to find water deep enough to foil. I foiled up to Doug's West and noticed a line of Eurasian Milfoil weeds 80 yards out all the way to Doug's West. We will need to have paths through it for foilers. The new beach is also shallow 50-100 yards out so drift launches will be very doable. This is a great site but will need yearly maintenance because of the abundance of Indigo and blackberry bushes.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 08, 19 9:45 am     Reply with quote

When is the backhoe coming to dig out the root balls?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 08, 19 11:00 am     Reply with quote

The backhoe was there on Saturday and was taking out the rootballs when I left. I don't know how everything played out until I drive by next week.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 08, 19 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Got it. I took a walk down there yesterday and it was looking good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: