Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Busted at Lyle today!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 03, 19 4:42 pm    Busted at Lyle today! Reply with quote

I was on my way for a reconnoiter mission at Doug's today and did a quick stop at Lyle. I walk down to look at the gate and concrete blocks and I hear a skidding stop up in the gravel up near my car. I walk the the 10 feet back to my car and a unmarked blue State Patrol car has stopped. He said " you know your are trespassing on BNSF property" and I said I never crossed the concrete blocks or gate. He said" but you walked past the no trespassing signs". I say to myself "this man is on a mission"!

So to diffuse the situation I told him I'm just here representing the kiteboarders in the Gorge to see what the status is at Lyle. He said BNSF is sick and tired of everyone ignoring the signs and we will be coming down hard on the kiters from here on out! He will be issuing tickets and the important thing is HE LIVES IN LYLE!

You have been warned enter at your own risk!!!!

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Oct 04, 19 8:17 am     Reply with quote

wow, that sucks

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 04, 19 9:16 am     Reply with quote

How about we fund a zodiac for SA kitesurf that they can co occupy as a shuttle for lessons and we can access it the legal way. No pay for donate then no use!!

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 04, 19 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Spearheading some renewed discussions with the Klickitat County Commissioners would be a good direction to pursue for CGW2.

The last discussions between the kite community and the county (3-4yrs ago) were in regards to one of the main commissioners goal of seeking funding to install a walkway/path that would travel under the road and rail bridges.

The Railroad tracks are not the only obstacles for pedestrians. The highway there is 55mph, so legally cannot have a crosswalk and is illegal for pedestrians to cross the road. Wash State Patrol had warned the CGKA in the past about possible issues there if it came to there attention.

www.Purestokesports.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 04, 19 11:20 am     Reply with quote

We had five agencies we had to deal with to do an underpass. BNSF and the Yakama Nation stopped any forward movement. As long as kiters continue to kite on the east side of the sandbar the Yakama Nation will resist. I believe there is a 40 mph sign right before the parking area going east. I'll see if Bart wants to get involved with the Lyle quagmire.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Oct 04, 19 12:06 pm    Seriously? Reply with quote

Lyle is a complete waste of anyone's time. Too many agencies involved that don't give a shit about kiting because it's the absolute last thing on their to-do list plus those agencies are not aligned in general....but kiter access will bring them together for a common cause? Give me a fucking break. Lyle is forever park at your own risk and if you actually ask the local kiters that ride there....even they like it that way. Keeps the kooks away.

I've been to all past meetings with David Sauter (local Lyle commissioner) and the funds to even propose a feasibility study for the catwalk under the bridge are long gone and who wants to schlep their gear back-n-forth from a boat ramp only to find out the shantytown locals have ransacked your car upon your return? Face it, you are perceived as an enemy of the fish in that neighborhood....and always will be.

Please don't waste the CGW2's time with Lyle BS because they're realists and already one step ahead focused on the smart play.....Doug's Beach, conveniently legal and only 2 short miles further East! Party starts @ 9:00 am Saturday. Hoping all you CGKA minions with your wasted $20 nwkite membership badges can put down your selfie sticks long enough to come use a rake and shovel.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 04, 19 12:25 pm    Re: Seriously? Reply with quote

Pretty much the most straight up answer on this topic, to be frankly honest.

Fight Club rules were the only thing that ever made sense and probably will continue into the future.

Sella wrote:
Lyle is a complete waste of anyone's time. Too many agencies involved that don't give a shit about kiting because it's the absolute last thing on their to-do list plus those agencies are not aligned in general....but kiter access will bring them together for a common cause? Give me a fucking break. Lyle is forever park at your own risk and if you actually ask the local kiters that ride there....even they like it that way. Keeps the kooks away.

I've been to all past meetings with David Sauter (local Lyle commissioner) and the funds to even propose a feasibility study for the catwalk under the bridge are long gone and who wants to schlep their gear back-n-forth from a boat ramp only to find out the shantytown locals have ransacked your car upon your return? Face it, you are perceived as an enemy of the fish in that neighborhood....and always will be.

Please don't waste the CGW2's time with Lyle BS because they're realists and already one step ahead focused on the smart play.....Doug's Beach, conveniently legal and only 2 short miles further East! Party starts @ 9:00 am Saturday. Hoping all you CGKA minions with your wasted $20 nwkite membership badges can put down your selfie sticks long enough to come use a rake and shovel.

www.Purestokesports.com

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Oct 04, 19 12:51 pm    Re: Seriously? Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Fight Club rules were the only thing that ever made sense and probably will continue into the future.

You very correctly always sold it this way when the forum would revisit Lyle access because it was/is the only way and most definitely into the future. Doug's isn't even a done deal yet but we're getting a shot to step up to the plate and take a swing for the fence. In today's litigious world....that means everything.

Besides, if you're a rock star kiter the distance upwind from Doug's to Lyle is about the same as Event Site to the Hatch. Foilers will nail it in 2-3 tacks. So wish I could foil. Smile

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 07, 19 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

Was the officer a big blonde guy with a flat top haircut?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 07, 19 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Yes sir! I wasn’t kiting , I was standing next to the BNSF no trespassing signs, fully clothed, just looking at the gate and concrete blocks. I drove by 2 days later, lots of kiters.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 07, 19 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

He's an odd nice-duck. He wears Birkenstocks on his off times... there's gotta be some granola in him somewhere. Maybe we can gift him a pair and brand on the CGW2 logo?

windskr

Since 31 Dec 2015
7 Posts

Kook

PostTue Oct 08, 19 11:45 am    Lyle access Reply with quote

Regarding access to Lyle sandbar, I think it would help if all kiters would use the east option (under the bridge) instead of : 1) blatantly walking across the highway and 2) crossing a rather large concrete barrier. I have been to Lyle several times this summer and have always crossed under the bridge. Yes, I'm still crossing the railroad tracks for access to the sandbar but it's the best option and is not as "in your face" as crossing the road AND a concrete barrier.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 08, 19 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Sage advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: