Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stay off the grass
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 29, 19 7:27 am     Reply with quote

Well said NAK! Thanks for saying it...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 29, 19 9:15 am     Reply with quote

We don't "need" to launch from the grass.
If the port wants to take a conservative approach and error on the side of politically correct safety vis a vis liability and insurance - what's the big deal?
It takes maybe 5 extra minutes to walk out to the sandbar to launch and land.
Most people waste more time deciding which kite size to rig.
Why all the angst, finger pointing, and name calling?
Myself - I'm grateful we have the sandbar and a safe place to launch and land 365.
The grass is nice - but it's not a necessity.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 29, 19 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Of course we don't need to launch at the event site. We don't need to kiteboard at all. Windsurfers don't need to launch at the event site either. They could launch at the hook. And in fact on a typical day there are very few Windsurfer at the event site, especially this time of year.

This is more about representation. Why is there no official CGWWA response here? Are they advocating to get us access, or are they advocating to keep us out? If so, why? Why is no input being sought from kiteboarders on this issue?

I personally view this issue as a bellwether. I'm hoping to see that the CGWWA is in fact advocating for all water sports enthusiasts equally. If they are, they need to seek input on this forum and explain to us what they are doing.

There needs to be a CGWWA username here to diseminate information and to seek kiter input.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 29, 19 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

Good points NAK et al - sent note to Bart - bet he'll chime in soon.

Mc

PS - Remember the work party @Dougs next SAT 9am- let's show up

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 29, 19 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

I met with Bart this week. He is the new president of the CGWWA. I mentioned to him that Daryl from the port does not return my calls. He said she doesn't return his either. He is frustrated also with the lack of communication. In his defense he is becoming a positive advocate for kiters. He is very proactive in opening kite sites at Bingen and Dougs. We are doing the Doug's clean up this Saturday Oct 5th at 9am. He spearheaded the entire project and has huge pull with all of the various agencies that we have to wrangle with to accomplish these launch sights. We have so much more power now that we have combined the two associations.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 29, 19 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

John beat me to the punch here. Bart is organizing the biggest new kite launch site since the Stevenson improvement project. This to me says my voice is being heard.

Eric

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 29, 19 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
I met with Bart this week. He is the new president of the CGWWA. I mentioned to him that Daryl from the port does not return my calls. He said she doesn't return his either. He is frustrated also with the lack of communication. In his defense he is becoming a positive advocate for kiters. He is very proactive in opening kite sites at Bingen and Dougs. We are doing the Doug's clean up this Saturday Oct 5th at 9am. He spearheaded the entire project and has huge pull with all of the various agencies that we have to wrangle with to accomplish these launch sights. We have so much more power now that we have combined the two associations.

eric wrote:
John beat me to the punch here. Bart is organizing the biggest new kite launch site since the Stevenson improvement project. This to me says my voice is being heard.
Eric

+1

Kiter support for CGW2 is the best way to make a difference.

If you haven't joined yet, do so now!!!
https://cgw2.org/shop/

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostSun Sep 29, 19 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
We don't "need" to launch from the grass.
If the port wants to take a conservative approach and error on the side of politically correct safety vis a vis liability and insurance - what's the big deal?
It takes maybe 5 extra minutes to walk out to the sandbar to launch and land.
Most people waste more time deciding which kite size to rig.
Why all the angst, finger pointing, and name calling?
Myself - I'm grateful we have the sandbar and a safe place to launch and land 365.
The grass is nice - but it's not a necessity.

You’re missing the point. Access is hard won. Look around the world and see how precious it is. We should not just give it up with a shrug. And more importantly we aren’t losing it with a valid explanation and a ton of communication. As has been pointed out it all seems very arbitrary and there’s been very little communication regarding why it’s been changed and that’s why people are complaining.

What’s more - we don’t have the sandbar to launch and land 365 - a good portion of the spring it’s covered in water. So I’m not even sure where your argument is coming from frankly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: