Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

LF Surf Chickenloop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostTue Sep 24, 19 3:35 pm    LF Surf Chickenloop Reply with quote

So, LF makes a chickenloop with a piece of stainless steel at the "top" of the CL that will rub on the rope of a rope spreader bar like the Mystic Stealth Surf.

https://www.murrays.com/product/liquid-force-mission-control-surf-chickenloop/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_absBRD1ARIsAO4_D3twYBv5kgolL1Zdfq_GWlMILO2K-CH4vTiDaJZ5UNFOskoOMhdrwN8aApIvEALw_wcB

My questions: I can easily replace my CL with this one. And then run the stainless steel part of the CL on the rope directly while ignoring the ring that comes with the spreader bar.

Or, just use my existing CL (made of some kind of PU?) attached to the ring.

I don't have any experience with how fast the ring will wear the non-metal
CL. Or the rope on the SS sleeve on the CL.

Thoughts??

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 26, 19 7:24 am    SS Loop Reply with quote

Go with the stainless steel Liquid Force Mission Control Chicken Loop directly onto the rope. I had the same dilemma with the slingshot bar and the talon system. The talon/mission control has a bit wider metal surface area compared to the metal ring that comes on the slider rope which will distribute load a bit better and decrease wear. I connect the talon directly to the rope which brings things a bit closer than if you were to use the ring and PU. You can connect PU directly to the rope but it will wear down the rope a bit quicker.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Sep 26, 19 9:49 am     Reply with quote

I think the answer depends on how tight you have the rope, and how much the connection on the chicken loop "bulges" at the end. regardless of if the CL has a metal insert.

I have always been worried that if i ejected while the CL was pulled to the side, the bulge could get caught in where the rope enters the spreader. the more slack in the spreader rope, the less likely. the bigger/more abrupt the bulge, the more likely. still worrying to me though.

does anyone have any experience with this being or not being a problem?

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 26, 19 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

jasonq wrote:
I think the answer depends on how tight you have the rope, and how much the connection on the chicken loop "bulges" at the end. regardless of if the CL has a metal insert.

I have always been worried that if i ejected while the CL was pulled to the side, the bulge could get caught in where the rope enters the spreader. the more slack in the spreader rope, the less likely. the bigger/more abrupt the bulge, the more likely. still worrying to me though.

does anyone have any experience with this being or not being a problem?

You should try it while riding, before you need it

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Sep 26, 19 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

instead i don't do it, and use a ring, because when i try it by hand in my garage, i don't like what i see.

but i see others going direct to rope.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: