Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Attacked by drone while kiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 20, 19 8:16 am    Attacked by drone while kiting Reply with quote

Wierd! Yesterday while kiting near the OR side of the river just west of the event site, I heard a loud clicking sound and thought maybe my harness blew open or my bar broke or something. When I looked up and saw that the kite/lines were OK and still flying, I noticed a small drone on my left side - it had collided with my lines/bar/harness and was trying to free itself. Before I had a chance to scream it flew off downwind in a big gust. Wave Shocked

Be careful out there people!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 20, 19 11:05 am     Reply with quote

That is wild Laird, reminds me of when a large pelican got tangled in my lines down at Caye Caulker in Belize. We were both very surprised. The wildlife wasn't used to kiters yet!

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 20, 19 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

Too bad you could not grab it and slam it in the water for a swim. That is careless and reckless behavior of the pilot. If you can’t keep your drone away from someone you have no business flying it. With the blade rotations that could have seriously injured you or destroyed your lines !

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 20, 19 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Yes totally I was lucky to escape without damage - I never thought 'Drone injury' would ever be part of the risk of kiting.

Also moondog, I'm not Laird (I'm Dee) - I think our usernames are similar.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 22, 19 7:21 am     Reply with quote

daaaaammmnnnn! Drive by droning in the hood

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 22, 19 10:35 am     Reply with quote

Was it a drone or a UFO?

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostSun Sep 22, 19 10:55 am    Knocking a drone down? Be careful ! Reply with quote

Man On Beach Takes Down Drone By Throwing T-Shirt At It, Ends Up In Jail
Posted on August 30, 2015 by bitemaster
A Southern California man’s relaxing day at the beach came to an unpleasant conclusion this week. After taking down a drone that was hovering over his group of friends by throwing his T-shirt at it, Augustine Lehecka found himself behind bars at the Vista County jail, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

If some asshole’s drone were hovering over me or outside my window, I’d want to knock it down, too.

On the other hand, laser pointers are being used to distract airplane pilots. You can report incidents to the FAA, but they haven’t been able to do shit about it so far. Maybe the drone operators could put their toys to some socially-useful purpose and track down the laser-pointer guys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: