Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fall kiting and fishing season
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostThu Sep 12, 19 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Nice to see a discussion of low tech weaponry on nwkite Smile
Both knife/hook cutter look compelling but when caught in a few layers of netting, it seems a knife rather than a hook would allow to slash through multiple strands of netting blindly in one motion/direction rather than hooking and cutting each one individually. Likewise, when in a dire adrenalized ass puckering situation, fine motor skills often not at their best, knife may be preferable. Not speaking from experience, thankfully.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 12, 19 10:26 am     Reply with quote

cathy o. wrote:
I'm curious what is the best way to attach that knife? How did you attach yours?

It comes with a nylon pouch that you can attach to a webbing strap on your harness.

You can see mine in this photo, I bought the orange on one side yellow on the other version and it has a red velcro strap on the left side of my spreader bar.

As far as the netting of fish is concerned I wish it was not tolerated in any form. Nets are destructive, cruel and when it comes to spawning salmon they take thousands of fish out of our ecosystem as these spawning fish wouldn't bite a line and shouldn't be caught otherwise while on their way to spawn.

longbeachkite.jpg 

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 12, 19 11:18 am     Reply with quote

navi wrote:
it seems a knife rather than a hook would allow to slash through multiple strands of netting blindly in one motion/direction rather than hooking and cutting each one individually. Likewise, when in a dire adrenalized ass puckering situation, fine motor skills often not at their best, knife may be preferable. Not speaking from experience, thankfully.

You are correct based on my experience. A knife is a far superior to a hook knife for cutting fishing web. You will cut more quicker and also be able to cut web wrapped tight around your foot which you cant do with a hook knife. Some of the knives such as the one Mark posted that is available at 2nd Wind will work well.

Makelo295

Since 09 Aug 2016
12 Posts
Hillsboro

PostFri Sep 13, 19 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

I have been using this same knife from the photo for four years. I have it attached to my harness spreader bar strap. Lots of jumping, crashing, body dragging, normal stuff and it has stayed secure in the clip and not fallen out. If I ever get bored kiting I practice taking it out of the sheath and putting it back with one hand while riding. It is pretty easy.

I first had the cheap no-name amazon one which seemed to be an aluminum blade, but later I upgraded to the Aqualung version which is stainless steel which cuts through anything.

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostFri Sep 13, 19 11:14 pm     Reply with quote

To me, the best type of knife to carry depends on intended use. Yes, a open knife is better for netting but what would you rather have if you find someone's kite line wrapped around your neck?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 14, 19 6:57 am     Reply with quote

I carry both. Folding knife on lanyard around my neck under wetsuit, and hook knife in pouch on harness. Like homeowner's insurance, I hope I never have to use either.

Eric

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 14, 19 10:37 am    kite weapons Reply with quote

From now on I will plan to carry a couple of small line cutters, hook knife, dive knife, machete strapped to my leg and a small stiletto knife in my bootie for sharks.

I will always carry one but I'm curious will all this talk of kite knives if anyone has actually used one while kiting? I'd love to hear some real-world stories.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 14, 19 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

In 2002 ish, Eric Schroeder got wrapped around the red marker and cut himself free.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Sep 14, 19 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

Had a friend in Baja get legs all tangled up and dragged and had to cut her lines to get things right. Scared me, not her😳🤔

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSat Sep 14, 19 11:50 pm     Reply with quote

Not a life or limb threat situation but got a bunch of fishing line wrapped around my foil. Would have been very difficult to free up without a knife in deep water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: