Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fall kiting and fishing season
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 07, 19 1:05 pm    Fall kiting and fishing season Reply with quote

Fall kiting and fishing season

Fishing season is in full effect, so be aware of boaters fishing along the river and additional fishing nets/buoys.

Fishing boats are usually sitting in the best spots for fishing and if they were there before you, please respect their space and desire for a bit of peace&quiet.

Fishing nets are popping up in some unusual areas and are never marked/flagged. Typical indicator of a fishing drift net in your vicinity will be if you see either a floating block of styrofoam or a floater ball with rope tied to it leading out into the water. Keep very clear of these, the microfilament lines in these nets are about as strong as your kite lines, so you do not want to mess with these.

Remember that we all share the same great big body of river water, and it's important that the word 'share' is emphasized.

www.Purestokesports.com

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 09, 19 12:32 pm    Re: Fall kiting and fishing season Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

...Typical indicator of a fishing drift net in your vicinity

FYI

These are "set nets" because they are anchored. A drift net is attached to a boat which in theory drifts with the current. The reality is that they are often towed depending on the situation.

If you ever get caught in a net, dont panic and move around. Jerking your limbs will likely make it worse. If you cant calmly and deliberately untangle yourself, do not hesitate to start cutting the web until you are free. Deal with the consequences of damaging someones fishing gear later. It is not that hard to replace the damaged web with a new section of net.

I have known fishermen that have died from getting caught in gill nets. Dont be one mistake away from floating into one. Stay clear.

Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Tue Sep 10, 19 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 09, 19 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Obliged. Great information from someone in the know.

Eric

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 09, 19 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info Slayer. This could save somebody's life. Thumb's Up

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 10, 19 1:32 pm    nearly got me Reply with quote

I paddled out on my surfboard to rescue a girl and her gear stuck on a net in Stevenson. Got the girl in O.K. and went back for her board. As i heaved her board over the net to leeward, I cantilevered myself down and my big toe got caught in the net. The water was up to my nose and I could barely get a breath in between the chop that went over my head. I knew I had to be REAL careful not to tangle a finger as I ducked under to free my toe, blindly. Took about eight or ten tries, by then I was panicked and sputtering and near the end of my rope. Never did get the cookies she promised me, guess living was enough reward tho.

Started carrying a good knife after that.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Sep 11, 19 7:24 am     Reply with quote

Putting a net directly below and down current of a known recreation spot is WRONG and should be removed at once. We need to make multiple calls to tribal police.

Carry a full dive knife. Your "kite" knife is probably dull and worthless. Plus it wont cut anything larger than its small opening. 2nd Wind carries dive knifes. Get the one with a blunt tip so you can get under line and not cut your self.

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 11, 19 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Putting a net directly below and down current of a known recreation spot is WRONG and should be removed at once. We need to make multiple calls to tribal police.

Carry a full dive knife. Your "kite" knife is probably dull and worthless. Plus it wont cut anything larger than its small opening. 2nd Wind carries dive knifes. Get the one with a blunt tip so you can get under line and not cut your self.

+1

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 11, 19 9:29 am    this is what I got Reply with quote

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-crkbcor/nrs-crkt-bear-claw-knife-orange?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[ADL]%20[UM]%20[Shopping]%20-%20Generic%20Level&utm_term=1100502012356&utm_content=Generic%20Level%20-%20Product%20Type&adlclid=ADL-195aa297-f737-4c6f-810c-e262894877b7

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 11, 19 9:59 am     Reply with quote

I wouldn't use an open knife while kiting, too much chance of cutting yourself.

This is by far the best kite knife to carry: https://eezycut.com/

I know it looks just like those crappy kite knives you are used to but this is a scuba diving knife and it's legit.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 11, 19 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:
I wouldn't use an open knife while kiting, too much chance of cutting yourself.

This is by far the best kite knife to carry: https://eezycut.com/

I know it looks just like those crappy kite knives you are used to but this is a scuba diving knife and it's legit.

You are spot-on Slappy. I used to carry one of those blunt tipped dive knives. Then I got one of the Trilobite knives and did some testing on thick rope and old kite lines. It was very difficult to cut the rope with the NRS dive knife as well as with a standard DaKine kite knife that comes with harnesses. The Trilobite cut through rope like butter. I even tested it again a year later after the trilobite had been sitting in my harness and exposed to both salt and freshwater with no maintenance and it still cut through rope easily.

Mark, I'm curious how tribal police respond to requests for removal of nets. I agree with you, but seems like the treaty fishing rights often supersede the rights of others.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 11, 19 11:59 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Mark"]Putting a net directly below and down current of a known recreation spot is WRONG and should be removed at once. We need to make multiple calls to tribal police.

Ok, I know this is a kite forum but still

The nets have been used for YEARS longer than there have been kiters and I believe there are treaty rights as well so
That sentence should read

Putting a kite launch directly above and up current of a known netting area is wrong and stupid. Rolling Eyes

But ‘you pay your money and you make your choice’
So go right ahead.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 11, 19 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:

Mark, I'm curious how tribal police respond to requests for removal of nets. I agree with you, but seems like the treaty fishing rights often supersede the rights of others.

Being an avid downwinder swell rider and upwind foiler, I ride between Viento and the Event Site a lot. About 5-6 yrs ago I was noticing a big increase in the amount of fishing buoys and nets along both sides of the river.
In speaking with our local water patrol sheriff, he recommended that I contact the Intertribal fisheries office.

When I spoke with an officer at the Inter-Tribal Fisheries department I was told two things to be aware of:

1) Tribal members fishing is fairly unrestricted in any way, other than they cannot fish or locate nets in or along any navigable boating channel. So recreational right of way was not a viable topic of discussion. As long as they were not affecting safe 'boater' travel, they were not breaking any laws. Not sure how many of you remember a set net sitting in the jibe-atorium at the hatchery years ago.

2) There is another generation of tribal members fishing now and because they are new, these people are needing to seek out alternative fishing locations that are not already currently in use or historical claimed family fishing locations. (some fishing spot claims go back many generations, over a hundred years +). Because of this need fore new fishing spots, nets were/are appearing in locations not normally recognized (and some of these coincide with a need for stronger or abnormal river current/flows)

Some things could have changed since my speaking with these officers a couple of years ago, so it might not hurt for someone to make a phone call or drop by the intertribal office just past overlook park on the west side of town.

www.Purestokesports.com

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostWed Sep 11, 19 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

I'm curious what is the best way to attach that knife? How did you attach yours?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 11, 19 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

I completely disagree. We stole the river from the Native Indians, murdered their ancestors, spread disease wiping out whole tribes, installed fish ladders and dams destroying a perfect ecosystem. Made promises and signed treaties that were broken.

And you want to quibble over 100 yards of river that you cannot kite on?

Last edited by ldhr on Thu Sep 12, 19 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 11, 19 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Mark wrote:

I completely disagree. We stole the river from the Native Indians, murdered their ancestors, spread disease wiping out whole tribes, installed fish ladders and dams destroying a perfect ecosystem. Made promises and signed treaties that were broken.

And you want to quibble over 100 yards of river that you cannot kite on?

Do you have any idea how spoiled, privileged, and self-centered you sound?

That's a little unfair. The nets are hard to see and not well marked. It's not like you can just avoid kiting wherever there are nets. The issue is more about safety and the risk of horrific drowning for recreational river users. Sorry, but I value human life more than access to fishing for any group of people. Practically and legally there may be nothing we can do about it, but it's still wrong to drop nets in a place where it would knowingly put a lot of people at risk.

Oh and as for the knife, it has a little velcro tag so you can tuck it in the pocket made for this purpose on a lot of spreader bar pads.

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostWed Sep 11, 19 11:20 pm     Reply with quote

cathy o. wrote:
I'm curious what is the best way to attach that knife? How did you attach yours?

I use the ezzycut knife. There are a couple of options. The knife holder has a loop for attachment to a section of strap: Harness, life vest, etc.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Sep 12, 19 7:27 am     Reply with quote

This is the knife I use. It has a blunt tip so you dont cut yourself, a serrated edge for cutting rope, and a sharp edge for cutting other stuff. It also has a line cutter notch for smaller line, fish nets, kite lines ect. It locks into a hard sheath and comes out with a simple double squeeze handle (the yellow part in pic). The sheath has a screw clip for semi permanent attachment to my harness. I attach it on the right side either in the webbing or handle pass line. I think 2nd Wind has them for sale.

I had a good talk with the tribal police. They are going to talk with the indian fisherman who have placed the net in a unsafe situation. They agree no one wants to make a dangerous / deadly situation. I will update when I hear more.

Wenoka-Blackie-Collins-304SS-Deep-Sea-Knife-Blunt.jpg 

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: