Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site parking changes
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 04, 19 7:31 am    Event Site parking changes Reply with quote

In previous years when all the tourist left after Labor Day, the ES provided free parking for all the locals that didn't have a yearly pass. Not so this year. If you don't have the pass you have to pay the Man (Port of HR) at the kiosks in the parking area @ $1.75 an hour.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 04, 19 7:52 am     Reply with quote

Is there an upper limit to hours parked? A good friend returned to his car after many hours on the river.... over 4, and he had a parking ticket.
?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Sep 04, 19 10:49 am     Reply with quote

Here is the deal on parking:

If you have a pass....display your pass on your dash or mirror. There is no extra fee.

If you don't have a pass, pay at the kiosk just like when you park in any other city. Display the receipt on your dash in clear view so the parking enforcement person can see you paid. If you stay out on the water for longer than you have paid for, expect a fine.

We are lucky to have such a nice place to kite or windsurf. The waterfront is an expensive operation to maintain. Please be good stewards and do your best to keep it clean and safe.

With that being said.....The Port's plan is to maintain launch and land on the sandbar through the end of September unless the crowds fade to off season levels and the weather cooperates. They can't pull the signs for weekday users and then post them back up on weekends therefor, in order to maintain consistency, there will be NO Launching from the grass until October 1.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Sep 04, 19 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone kn ow if 2020 season passes will be made available before the end of 2019, since the season apparently now starts on Jan 1 instead of around memorial day?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Sep 04, 19 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

Standby, I will find out.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 04, 19 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe they should cut the parking enforcement person and not worry about fining people. Got to love the world of creating jobs to fine people. I am sure there are better uses for money for the city than paying a person to write tickets. Maybe if you are late Donate to the less fortunate a few dollars and give back instead of takin away!!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 04, 19 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

I have found the Port to be very receptive to suggestions. Examples that come to mind are the dirt lot opening on crowded days, coming up with an alternate boat storage plan that allowed season holding windsurfers to use the parking by the beach while the boating events were happening, and periodic adjustments to grass launching as water levels rise.

Many on the Port commission recreate. They are reasonable and trying to accommodate a myriad of uses and fiduciary demands.

Simply put, send them an email using a tone and language that is open and friendly. They listen, they act, and in my experience they care.

Eric
Hood River

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Sep 04, 19 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

tkaraszewski wrote:
Does anyone kn ow if 2020 season passes will be made available before the end of 2019, since the season apparently now starts on Jan 1 instead of around memorial day?

I doubt it, every year they go on sale around the same time.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 05, 19 8:16 am     Reply with quote

That season pass looks pretty good now. Too bad I didn’t buy one!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 05, 19 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Us Wunderbar orphans are hurting right now. I’m meeting with Bart and the Port of Bingen today to work on site improvement.

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostThu Sep 05, 19 8:53 am     Reply with quote

I saw a few kites over there yesterday doing a drift launch thingy

How does that work -specifically ? Looked painful

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Sep 05, 19 10:50 am    launch and land on the grass Reply with quote

If anyone is communicating with the Port/Daryl, please point out that we can use the grass beginning Sept 15th as the sign clearly states.
She put out a press release saying it was sept 31st.
Thx

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 05, 19 2:22 pm    Re: launch and land on the grass Reply with quote

jaksavage wrote:
If anyone is communicating with the Port/Daryl, please point out that we can use the grass beginning Sept 15th as the sign clearly states.
She put out a press release saying it was sept 31st.
Thx

Done!

Thank you for pointing out the possible confusion in dating (originally, the CGKA would meet with the Port around labor day weekend to plan out the launch/land date, gauge the users numbers and water levels forecast)

Have sent communications to both the Port and CGW2 asking about what their plans are for establishing a launch and landing reopening date.

As Eric has mentioned above, polite emails to the Port are good for keeping the Port commissioners connected to the needs of the community.

Same goes for the CGW2.
The addition of kiteboarders to their membership means that they need to hear from and become more aware of their kiteboarder membership needs so that they can know where to set their work priorities for supporting the kite community.
Their work priorities are very much based on feedback from their membership.

www.Purestokesports.com

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 05, 19 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

I’m good with parking at the spit since we have to hike out to the sandbar anyway.

Just wondering how event site season passes will work going forward. Will it be an annual thing?

I’d much rather pay once and not think about again until the next year. I hate the idea that I’d come back to a parking ticket after I have a kitemare and a long swim, because I guessed low feeding the meters.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 05, 19 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

What a PITA.. my damned pass fell off the mirror on Tuesday and disappeared behind my van's firewall and I was thinking, "no problem, timing is everything!". Now I'll be forced to drive east... sigh.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostSun Sep 08, 19 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Maybe have a day rate? When Parking Booth is Closed 8 hrs (max) of parking will cost $14 (8x1.75)

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 08, 19 11:38 am     Reply with quote

How about a 12 month pass available anytime? Like the Discover pass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: