Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvies Island considering banning booze
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Feb 16, 18 9:17 am    Sauvies Island considering banning booze Reply with quote

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2018/02/booze_ban_proposed_for_sauvie.html#incart_river_home_pop

There are a couple pics of kiters kiting and there might be a pic of Wind Slither sunning his buns while laying in the water. It is hard to tell with the quality of the photo.
Shocked Razz Wink

Well what the heck would we do if they banned booze and the wind didn't come up?!

It is unfortunate that they probably will do this, but I sure like a couple of beers after kiting or having a beer in between sessions on the water.

I'm appalled with a lot of the carnage that goes on out on the beach. Users leaving all their trash on the beach after they use it. The beer bottles, the used diapers, the plastic drink bottles. Maybe the lack of alcohol consumption will combate this, but I doubt it.

Read the article if you are interested. It states that there will be a town hall meeting somewhere on Sauvies in the near future.

And with all the hot temps this past summer and the larger and bigger crowds coming to SI, along with the police saturation patrols, I can't believe they only nabbed "as they were leaving SI beach" and issued DUII. Way more people are f'ed up on alcohol on any given day. It would seem like fishing in a barrel to me.

If it cleans up the beaches and many of the actions/transgressions of laws etc etc then I suppose I'm for it. The Korean owned market at the entrance of the island sure will take a hit, as will many of the mini market along the way to SI--lots of tradeoffs with changes. . .

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 16, 18 9:35 am     Reply with quote

I think it will positively contribute to less trash on the beach and fewer traffic accidents, maybe the crowds will thin out as well. In any case it will be a hard summer for the police patrol since if they don't pass this the amount of people will keep increasing at SI and if they do pass it they'll be a lot of people who didn't get the "no booze" memo.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Feb 17, 18 5:53 am     Reply with quote

Oh no's! The 12M crowd better fix this now. Standing on the beach and complaining about the wind won't be the same with no beer. Laughing

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Feb 17, 18 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Oh no's! The 12M crowd better fix this now. Standing on the beach and complaining about the wind won't be the same with no beer. Laughing

LOL. Probably will kill the wind altogether. The wind gods need their tribute of beer.

Seriously though, I don't think it will have any effect on the crowds, the trash, or the alcohol consumed. You'll just see a lot more red solo cups in hands as opposed to beer bottles. The beer bottles will still find their way into the sand. I've been at a lot of beaches where alcohol was banned; I've never seen any difference in drinking as opposed to beaches where it wasn't banned.

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Feb 17, 18 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

You can bring a fishing rod and get yourself a salmon while drinking chocolate milk.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Feb 17, 18 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

Session savers are 1: a foil
2: A kite bigger than a 12m. Go for a 17m!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Feb 17, 18 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

fisherman wrote:
You can bring a fishing rod and get yourself a salmon while drinking chocolate milk.

I been fishin' there for 20 years...and I aint' never caught nothin.

Drunk

#3 session saver: beer

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSat Feb 17, 18 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Wind Slither wrote:

LOL. Probably will kill the wind altogether. The wind gods need their tribute of beer.

Seriously though, I don't think it will have any effect on the crowds, the trash, or the alcohol consumed. You'll just see a lot more red solo cups in hands as opposed to beer bottles. The beer bottles will still find their way into the sand. I've been at a lot of beaches where alcohol was banned; I've never seen any difference in drinking as opposed to beaches where it wasn't banned.

AGREED! There isn't a booze ban on the beaches of Baja and they are clean as a whistle.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostSun Feb 18, 18 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I am skeptical that a alcohol prohibition will stop people from leaving behind their other trash items when they leave the beach. People will just smoke more weed and leave behind the cheetos bags.. Who knows'.

I know that trash is an issue- my company organized a beach cleanup this summer and removed at least four garbage bags of trash from the beach.

I personally would like to still drink a beer while waiting for the wind to come up..

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSun Feb 18, 18 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

Just store 3 ice cold beers in your hydroflask and sip away, never fails!!! I was drinking at a beach park the other day and everyone got tickets but me. They did not even ask to check it.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Mar 01, 18 11:24 am    FYI Reply with quote

I watched the local tv news last night and there was an update on this topic. The SI meeting transpired last night and the overall sentiment (by most people (mainly being residents of the island and law enforcement)) is that they want booze outlawed. So I suspect a ban is coming this season.

Personally I don't think this will stop most. But I do hope it will curb some of the antics that go on out there. I'm mostly talking about the garbage people left behind.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 02, 18 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

Reason number 14 to live in HR.

"This port city that rests along the Columbia River has no open container laws, and allows drinking in public. Is there anything better than cracking open a beer and enjoying the scenic Pacific Northwest? I think not."

https://www.bustle.com/articles/83738-8-cities-where-you-can-drink-in-public-which-is-useful-information-to-have-when

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostTue Mar 20, 18 5:07 pm    Booooo Reply with quote

Looks like it's official Sad

https://portlandtribune.com/sl/389868-281079-booze-ban-approved-for-sauvie-island-summers

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon May 28, 18 6:31 am     Reply with quote

Police were touring Sauvie yesterday writing up tickets. I was observing from the water so I can only assume they were for alcohol. I group was getting nailed upwind of the kiting area right where the tall trees start. Then I saw a cop stroll south of stairwell 8 and stop at the first couple he came to and out came the pad.

Holiday weekend, beautiful weather, easy pickins'.

Drunk

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 18, 18 6:29 am     Reply with quote

http://katu.com/news/local/140-citations-warnings-issued-since-sauvie-island-booze-ban-went-into-effect

http://katu.com/news/local/gallery/thunderstorms-sweep-western-oregon-sw-washington-sunday-evening

Shocked

jjm

Since 30 May 2009
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Aug 07, 19 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Curious if there was any impact on the amount of trash lying around from the ban?

IgorOpesy

Since 15 Aug 2019
6 Posts
промокоды HYDRA
Kook

PostThu Aug 15, 19 2:50 pm    Успейте закупиться на HYDRA Reply with quote

Успейте закупиться на HYDRA

http://hydra2web.com.de/market/1057

http://hydraruzxpnew4af.promo/market/1057

Мы раздаём промокоды 1000, 2000 и 5000 рублей которые вы сможете потратить на любой доступный товар на витрине «GangBang shop» ( внимание промокод не действует на предлаказы, с одного аккаунта можно воспользоваться одним промокодом)
~~~~~~~~
1000?
~~~~~~~~
H3727G
HDJ432
DrEh64
ShsU63
DhehR4
36dhG7
~~~~~~~~
2000?
~~~~~~~~
Hdh673
Djd734g
Asdj73f
Dnhg7G
~~~~~~~~
5000?
~~~~~~~~
57dhhHJ
B3838hJ
46GsJG7

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: