Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

sticker please: Catch the Kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed Aug 07, 19 9:08 am    sticker please: Catch the Kite Reply with quote

If you're standing on the Hood River sandbar, you're a kiter, and it's gusting to 41 mph - like yesterday (or if it's mellow and steady wind) - you have an obligation to catch the kite of the inbound kiter's kite, if it could land anywhere near the area that you're standing. Please make a point to make eye contact with the inbound kiter, and pat your head (asking them if they need a catch.) Yesterday, in 20 years of kiteboarding from the Hood River sandbar, the level of disinterest and disrespect by kiters standing on the sandbar was an all time observed low - to those who were simply trying to end their sweet session safely - it simply isn't okay. All of us need to engage with our fellow kiter, (even if they listen to total shit music.) That means you - catch the kite. It could be critical.

Oh, and stop listening to total shit music while you're kiting.

Last edited by TravisBickleRex on Wed Aug 07, 19 9:41 am; edited 3 times in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 07, 19 9:14 am    Re: sticker please: Catch the Kite Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
If you're standing on the Hood River sandbar, you're a kiter, and it's gusting to 41 mph - like yesterday (or if it's mellow and steady wind) - you have an obligation to catch the kite of the inbound kiter's kite, if it could land anywhere near the area that you're standing. Please make a point to make eye contact with the inbound kiter, and pat your head (asking them if they need a catch.) Yesterday, in 20 years of kiteboarding from the Hood River sandbar, the level of disinterest and disrespect by kiters standing on the sandbar - to those who were simply trying to end their sweet session safely - was not okay. All of us need to engage with our fellow kiter, (even if they listen to total shit music.) That means you - catch the kite. It could be critical.

Tourist I'm saying (mostly). I hope you went up to them and told them your concerns?!

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed Aug 07, 19 9:17 am    sticker later Reply with quote

I should have asked to sticker this only after it's been seen as a regular topic for a couple of days. Thanks.

Answering your question, Sasquatch, I was literally too busy catching kites to go up to the numerous people on the sandbar who were derelict of kiting duty.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 07, 19 9:28 am    Catch me Reply with quote

I usually yell heads up and then yell catch my kite. It helps I have a VERY loud voice and not afraid to hit them with my kite. Very Happy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 07, 19 9:32 am    Re: sticker please: Catch the Kite Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
If you're standing on the Hood River sandbar, you're a kiter, and it's gusting to 41 mph - like yesterday (or if it's mellow and steady wind) - you have an obligation to catch the kite of the inbound kiter's kite, if it could land anywhere near the area that you're standing. Please make a point to make eye contact with the inbound kiter, and pat your head (asking them if they need a catch.) Yesterday, in 20 years of kiteboarding from the Hood River sandbar, the level of disinterest and disrespect by kiters standing on the sandbar - to those who were simply trying to end their sweet session safely - was not okay. All of us need to engage with our fellow kiter, (even if they listen to total shit music.) That means you - catch the kite. It could be critical.

+10

TravisBickleRex wrote:

+100
Very Happy

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 07, 19 9:37 am    Catching Kites Reply with quote

Travis, you bring up great points and thanks for addressing this. We all need to look out for each other. When setting up on the beach, we need our heads on a swivel to help out and watch for each others safety. On the flip side, I've seen many kiters not attempt to make eye contact and not tap their head when coming in for a land. I've also seen kiters bring their kites down to almost 9 or 3, without giving the potential catchers a heads up that they'd like a land. Some people also come into the sand bar and walk another hundred feet or so before they want to land, which can confuse the catchers. It's imperative for the kiters to tap their head when coming in so the potential catchers know that the kiter needs a land. This removes any surprises for the kiters or catchers.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 07, 19 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

As long as we’re talking about catching/landing kites and the kiters part in this;
Please don’t just drop your kite because there is someone there to catch it. Fly it down under control so they can actually grab it safely. Not have to chase it all over the beach and other people and kites, etc. Really, be a responsible pilot and think about safety, yours and others.
And yes, there are gusts and lulls and it can be tricky but please try for some kite control while landing. Thank you.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 07, 19 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

Can we add look before turning if we're gonna sticker this?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 07, 19 6:15 pm    Re: sticker please: Catch the Kite Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
...snip...Yesterday, in 20 years of kiteboarding from the Hood River sandbar, the level of disinterest and disrespect by kiters standing on the sandbar was an all time observed low ...snip... All of us need to engage with our fellow kiter, That means you - catch the kite. It could be critical.

100% Agree with everyone looking out for each other, particularly on days that end in "Y"

Hmm - I was out yesterday mid afternoon at the 'ol Sandbar around 1-4PM. I did see one minor example of 'non-attention' but I think that may have been a group of kiters from Squamish BC - where they have a built in kite caddie service, so they were clearly out of practice.

In the short time between landing my kite and getting off the sandbar, I launched and landed a bunch of kites. I'm no expert, but given the typical cross section of experience on a summer day at the Event Site, it makes sense that people might keep hitting you up after seeing you properly launch or land. Also I think visitors get a little freaked out when it's gusting over 40+mph with the sand spray etc. Granted this is the time for the UTMOST KEEN attention to those coming in to land. Just sayin'

IMHO one of the most sketchy moments is having a "random" launch you poorly, especially when it's nukin!

Hope it went better today...

my .02

Mc

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Aug 07, 19 8:10 pm    Re: sticker please: Catch the Kite Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NKskSo9cPQ

"In this crowed place you feel alone, which of one of us is the most blind?"

Matteo is going off the deep end!

Jeremy turned me on to this thread....

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 08, 19 6:49 am     Reply with quote

Great topic!

A couple of pros told me to just drop it on “them” of course that was hyperbole but the point was made. I’ve been trying to deal with this for years now, in the summer (no problem in spring or at Stevenson). The marina is always an option but I like the location of the sandbar. I’m now fearful on nuking days if my usual lander isn’t on the bar. I’m not sure how to resolve it because self landing while nuking is not safe. And... I LOVE nuking days.

Any ideas on how we can get the out of town kiters to help??

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostThu Aug 08, 19 7:07 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for saying this. It's not just tourists or Hood River. I've seen this at the White Salmon Sandbar (before it started disappearing). A group of 3 gentlemen, who should know better, standing in the middle of the launch land zone huddled up talking and oblivious to whats going on around them. Have a little respect and pay attention. Or take your conversation somewhere else. See these same people doing the same thing at other launches in the Gorge.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 08, 19 10:50 am     Reply with quote

"Hey there, how's it going? I'd be grateful for catch!"

You say loudly, but with respect.

"Thanks a lot! It's a bit windy for a self-land, and really appreciate it."

"Let me know if you need a toss. I'll just be winding up my lines."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: