Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

NW Kite Hackers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 04, 19 6:19 am    NW Kite Hackers Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is an solution to keep the barrage of hackers off this site. This year seems unusually prolific, they must be preparing for our 2020 election!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Aug 04, 19 8:18 am     Reply with quote

The phpBB software running is old, really old. Attempts to upgrade have been difficult. The phpBB forum software and database are easier than the nwkite skin/theme that was heavily modified. I ran out of time Sad Maybe some new blood with more time can contact phil to give it a go?

Dan

www.freeridekiting.com

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 04, 19 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

FYI
I'd donate $$ if needed

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 04, 19 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

It's all Kip's fault... Wink

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 04, 19 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
It's all Kip's fault... Wink

gEEZ... Because of this NWkite advice I hardened up my Firefox with a ton of tweaks. Sucks trying to remember passwords again. I have a rapidly aging brain. Smile

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 04, 19 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Passphrases my friend. Longer is better (that's what she said), so make it easy on your brain. Mix cases and run stuff together; throw some numbers in instead of spaces (you can just change the numbers in case you need to rotate). Bury a contextual keyword in the phrase specific to the site you're signing up for so you're not using the same passphrase everywhere. 15 characters might seem like it would be hard to remember, but when done properly it's much easier than 8 random individual characters... create a memorable 'template' for your passphrases. Most password hacking is done with scripts and algorithms, not human analysis (by dark figures in hoodies).

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 05, 19 6:03 pm     Reply with quote

www.lastpass.com

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 05, 19 8:55 pm    OT: BreezeBy Reply with quote

Speaking of hacking, I was on the Port of Hood River BreezeBy site today and selected "Remember Me". Stored my password in cleartext in a local cookie. How rookie!

Update: I informed them and they plan to fix it in the next release. If you've used this feature, I recommend you find where the "password" cookie is stored for the site and delete it. Your credit card info should be safe from disclosure because it's stored with Verisign and not actually printed out with your account info. Kudos to them for taking security seriously.

Last edited by shred_da_gorge on Tue Aug 06, 19 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 06, 19 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

If you would, please drop me a PM when you find NEW ones and I'll delete the post and block the user. It's like playing whack a mole. Cleaned up much of what was left on here, so just new posts please. Thanks!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 09, 19 4:06 pm    Holy Shit !! Reply with quote

We must tighten the hatches ? The moles are going f*cking crazy . What can we do?

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 09, 19 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

No new accounts without a referral.

I don't know what it would take to change the signup process but it seems to me that since the focus of this site is Gorge/Portland/Oregon Coast that anyone who wants to sign up for an account and doesn't already know somebody should be able to contact local kiteboarding schools and shops to get a referral.

It might be nice to have a sticky with a list of such sources just for the newbes to the sport.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 10, 19 8:01 am     Reply with quote

I don't like the referral idea because it prevents people planning to visit the area from commenting because you have to be signed up to PM someone to ask to refer you to sign up - Catch-22.

How hard is it to implement CAPTCHA on signup?

http://www.captcha.net/

"I am not a Robot"...

There are other solutions out there; my company uses a commercial solution where you're presented a picture and then you drag and drop the matching picture into a box. You could program your own where you present a static photo and have a multiple choice radio box answering the description of what's in the photo. Even without rotating images/answers you will likely prevent a great deal of this crap - get your account creation hard to automate and you'll solve this problem with the 80/20 approach.

I don't have spare time to program anymore but I do have some spare money to help solve the problem and I'm sure I'm not the only one. What help do you need?

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 16, 19 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone know what these hackers are trying to accomplish?
They have made their way to Ikite also....

morecoffee

Since 24 Aug 2011
22 Posts

PostFri Aug 16, 19 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
Does anyone know what these hackers are trying to accomplish?
They have made their way to Ikite also....

Contextual relevance for the link they're spamming. They give zero fucks about nwkite or kiteboarding, it is just getting their selected text out there with the hyperlink in locales that search engines weight greater than zero.

It's like when someone tags the emergency exit of your apartment building. You gotta be out there the next day with the goof-off or paint roller, otherwise more tags accumulate.

Last edited by morecoffee on Fri Aug 16, 19 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 16, 19 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

I've changed registration. Now requires admin approval and a code when registering. Hopefully that will stem the tide.

I tested it out. Works. That should be that (for now). Other Admins: New accounts require approval. We all will get emails as needed. ONLY click the link if approving the request. Since a code is now required when registering a new account, we should immediately see a drop in Bot registrations.

Manual registrations are still a problem. Other admins, please just check the user name before approving. Already getting those attempts.

Fingers crossed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: