Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

La Ventana Intel
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 02, 19 10:57 am    La Ventana Intel Reply with quote

Need some advise.
I have the opportunity to teach kiting in La Ventana for my friend Jason at his school, Evolution Kiteboarding. I grew up spending lots of time in Baja in the 70's and 80's. Flew down in our small airplane a hundred times or more. Used to drive down and windsurf and surf as well. Never got hassled.

I have not been there in a while and could use some information. I know that it is very different now.

Is it a bad idea to drive my own vehicle ? ( Late model Sprinter )
Can I get Mex insurance in the US or do I need to buy it there?
Is it a problem to get quality diesel fuel ?
General thoughts and feedback as far as living and working there for the winter.

If I do go I would have room for another person or 2 with gear should someone need a ride.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 02, 19 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Is it a bad idea to drive my own vehicle ? ( Late model Sprinter ) [Lots of people drive sprinters down]
Can I get Mex insurance in the US or do I need to buy it there? [Yes, available online]
Is it a problem to get quality diesel fuel ? [Good enough for Sprinters]
General thoughts and feedback as far as living and working there for the winter. [It's Hood River -South; same folks, same vibe]

Enjoy

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 02, 19 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

No, It's not a bad idea to drive down. I've done the drive 8 times in 8 years every winter. Be sitting at the border in TJ, or Otey Mesa at 8am or earlier. Full tank of gas and a passenger seat filled with snacks. Drive to El Rasario by about 1pm and fill-up again before your run to you night at Guerrero Negro. Sleep and wake up at dawn for the all day push to La Paz & La Ventana
I always get my insurance here at home on a computer. Easy stuff. And personally I cancel my US insurance because I'm gone for many months. This saves a ton of money. There's a lot of Mex Ins services but I have used this site for years:
https://mexicaninsurancestore.com/

I can't answer your diesel question but i know it comes up a lot on Facebook and Baja Nomad

Get your FFM/Visa at the border.

There's a few more special things you might want to know... Like watch your speed in Ciudad Constitucion because it's a crooked cop town. I always travel under 15 mph everywhere in that stinking hole. And I stop AT ALL intersections whether there's sign or not.
This assh*le MF threatened to handcuff me after HE guided me into my parking space and then ticketed me for illegal parking. We went downtown to see his boss.... I still paid.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 02, 19 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
No, It's not a bad idea to drive down. I've done the drive 8 times in 8 years every winter. Be sitting at the border in TJ, or Otey Mesa at 8am or earlier. Full tank of gas and a passenger seat filled with snacks. Drive to El Rasario by about 1pm and fill-up again before your run to you night at Guerrero Negro. Sleep and wake up at dawn for the all day push to La Paz & La Ventana
I always get my insurance here at home on a computer. Easy stuff. And personally I cancel my US insurance because I'm gone for many months. This saves a ton of money. There's a lot of Mex Ins services but I have used this site for years:

I can't answer your diesel question but i know it comes up a lot on Facebook and Baja Nomad

There's a few more special things you might want to know... Like watch your speed in Ciudad Constitucion because it's a crooked cop town. I always travel under 15 mph everywhere in that stinking hole. And I stop AT ALL intersections whether there's sign or not.
This assh*le MF threatened to handcuff me after HE guided me into my parking space and then ticketed me for illegal parking. We went downtown to see his boss.... I still paid.

gybetalkin

Since 01 Nov 2010
50 Posts

PostFri Aug 02, 19 5:03 pm    Sprinter Sur Reply with quote

Quality ULSD Fuel is no problem. An extra jug of DEF fluid is good to bring with you.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 03, 19 7:45 am     Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:
wylieflyote wrote:

Thanks for the good info. Im coming from Colorado so would probably enter at Mexicali. What are your thoughts on that ?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 03, 19 8:08 am     Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:

Thanks for the good info. Im coming from Colorado so would probably enter at Mexicali. What are your thoughts on that ?

I've come into The Baja twice using the Mexicali crossing. I use Mexicali East border entry as it all brand new and very efficient & quick. I once used the central Mexicali entry when there was about a 2 hour wait.... but I then went to the Baja Duty Free store at the border and purchased my cheap bottle of Jack Daniels. The BDF store has a back gate to their parking lot that puts you in the head of the line so no 2 hour wait.
Then it's a more beautiful drive south traveling through San Felipe and south into the desert. There is a 90 minute or so stretch of gravel that you need to check on before your trip as it sometimes has bad washouts after a rainy season. All in all and more enjoyable route than highway #1. Stop at Coco's Corner for a beer, and classic Baja style experience.

Highway #5 from Mexicali joins up with highway #1 about an hour north of Guererro Negro where you'll sleep your first night. Plenty of nice hotels and eateries in GN.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Aug 03, 19 8:52 am     Reply with quote

bring mountain bikes and spearfishing gear (mask, snorkel and polespear min)

supercool mountian biking all over and the trials thru the cactus forest are unreal

talk to Capt Tim at Palapas Ventana about spearfishing - its world class

the change from 7 years ago was shocking - but still a great vibe/scene

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 03, 19 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:

So TRUE!!
Lately I'm asking myself if the there is a %100 increase in kiter population each year I'm there. It can get a bit kooky out on the busier parts of the bay.
All good. It's like HR transplanted.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 03, 19 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
bring mountain bikes and spearfishing gear (mask, snorkel and polespear min)

supercool mountian biking all over and the trials thru the cactus forest are unreal

talk to Capt Tim at Palapas Ventana about spearfishing - its world class

Planning on it. My spearfishing kit is in Hawaii but will try and accumulate some stuff before departure.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 04, 19 1:14 pm    San Luis Reply with quote

What about crossing at San Luis near yuma ?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 04, 19 2:26 pm    Re: San Luis Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:
What about crossing at San Luis near yuma ?

Sure, You could. My general rule is unless it saves a ton of miles I prefer to stay on US freeways until the last minute. Gas is cheaper (Pemex is at near $4 USD), and roads are more well maintained. I drive down the Baja, kite for a month, then ferry to the mainland for 4 months. Every year for 8 years when I re-cross back into the US roads system I breath a big sigh, and my heart-rate drops. I'm not Jingoist in any way, I absolutely love Mexico, but there's no getting around the feeling of near chaos there at times. IHMO

Oh... If you travel Hwy#1 there are reports on Facebook Love Baja of protestor "road blocks" asking for donations near Ensenada. They will bring you to a complete stop with traffic barrels, then hold out a bucket. On my recent trip up the mainland it was always pretty girls who were happy with $20 pesos (1 dollar). Word is this is run by the cartels.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 04, 19 2:43 pm    San Luis Reply with quote

I was wondering because I am coming from Colorado and it actually looks shorter. The crossing os not far from Yuma. I may go Mexicali though. Need more info on San Luis.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 04, 19 2:46 pm    Re: San Luis Reply with quote

I know plenty of people who cross there. I'm sure it's pleasant. If the miles are almost identical my favorite border is Mexicali East... if you are heading down Hwy #5.

1surfer wrote:
I was wondering because I am coming from Colorado and it actually looks shorter. The crossing os not far from Yuma. I may go Mexicali though. Need more info on San Luis.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 15, 19 6:50 pm     Reply with quote

drove through Ciudad Constitucion around last Christmas. The cops were holding a boot, collecting donations for XYZ. I gave them 10 bucks. The woman policeman was so hot, I had to force myself to not stare at her. She could handcuff me any day.

HurlyBurly

Since 01 Apr 2016
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Aug 19, 19 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

Hey 1Surfer - Your opportunity to teach in LV sounds great, but one thing crossed my mind. Does your friend who is offering the job have a work permit lined up for you? In 2017 I was down there and met an American instructor from Hood River. He was the head instructor at Palapas but couldn't teach because he still didn't have his permit/visa, and it was already mid-late January! I think the hold up was all about red tape, etc. So when clients wanted lessons he had to outsource/subcontract them to either local instructors or foreign instructors that had work visas. He said he couldn't risk teaching as its a small community etc. and there would be plenty of repercussions. Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out for you.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 25, 19 8:04 am    Permit Reply with quote

HurlyBurly wrote:
Hey 1Surfer - Your opportunity to teach in LV sounds great, but one thing crossed my mind. Does your friend who is offering the job have a work permit lined up for you? In 2017 I was down there and met an American instructor from Hood River. He was the head instructor at Palapas but couldn't teach because he still didn't have his permit/visa, and it was already mid-late January! I think the hold up was all about red tape, etc. So when clients wanted lessons he had to outsource/subcontract them to either local instructors or foreign instructors that had work visas. He said he couldn't risk teaching as its a small community etc. and there would be plenty of repercussions. Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I have been told tat he will have permit for me when I get there. Will see ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: