Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bam Bam :(
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 30, 19 2:29 pm    Bam Bam :( Reply with quote

Such and sad sad day today. For those who don't frequent Facebook:
"I’m posting on my brothers wall to let all his friends know as well, Jon died Thursday in switzerland while BASE jumping. It’s with a heavy heart that I am posting this, as I am not much of a facebooker, but I realize many of Jon’s friends and extended family would like to know."

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jul 30, 19 3:48 pm    R.I.P. Bam Bam Reply with quote

Thanks Kip. Yes, very sad news! Sad

Bam Bam sucked the marrow out of life!

At least he passed doing something he loved, which is the way I suspect he would of wanted it.

R.I.P. Jon.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Jul 31, 19 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 30, 19 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad

Truly a Gorge legend, and a genuinely nice guy. You will be missed Bam Bam.

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostTue Jul 30, 19 5:45 pm    sad day Reply with quote

wow... such a bummer.

I met Jon when I was new to kiting in 2001 I think.
He was always helpful to newbie kiters and now with flying.
Such a good guy.

So sad.

Last edited by Rollo Tomasi on Wed Jul 31, 19 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 30, 19 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

So many BamBam memories. One of my favorites was watching him tow in a broken down jetski from Wells Island

with his kite

BamBam is a Hood River icon of friendliness, stoke, and character.

He will be missed by all of us, scores and scores of us, who were fortunate enough to call him a friend.

RIP BamBam

Eric

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 30, 19 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

Adding condolences, truly an icon, doing shit most of us just watch videos of. RIP Jon

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Jul 31, 19 12:52 am     Reply with quote

A true friend of all his human family and a selfless individual. Met him windsurfing at the hatchery as a 12 year old. A decade later I had broken all my boards and he kindly let me break his as well just to keep the adrenaline flowing.! A true master of the send!! For sure ascended to a higher realm. Bulldog status here in ours!

CrazyC

Since 07 Apr 2007
174 Posts
P Town
Stoked

PostWed Jul 31, 19 6:15 am     Reply with quote

Always pushing the boundaries. We have lost a legend.
Very sad:(

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jul 31, 19 7:41 am     Reply with quote

Bams was always on the move and skilled in so many extreme disciplines his balls truly clanked when he walked. I had seen him more these past few months so hearing the news of his passing hit hard yesterday.

RIP Jon....you and your unmistakable laugh will be missed by many.

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 31, 19 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Jon was my friend. Always there for me! This is one of the saddest days for many of us who shared his love and passion. Jon was a very compassionate man with a massive heart. So talented! Today, my prayers are with his dear soul. My sincere condolences to Jon's immediate family. We have lost a dear brother.

I believe Jon's parent's live in Chamonix last we spoke. Not sure if they still do now, so unsure if services will be held here or there. If anyone knows more, please PM me. I would greatly appreciate it... For now, it is a heavy heart of unimaginable sadness. May we meet again in the presence of God my brother.

What an amazing friend you were... Crying or Very sad

https://youtu.be/egAtoxjJ_rc

Maui
 Maui  Jon Malmberg.jpeg 
   jon_backflip_post.jpg 
   Maui Download 173.jpg 
   MQ2G5806.jpg 
   MQ2G6696.jpg 

Transcend Apparel http://www.transcendapparel.com/
Urban Surf http://www.urbansurf.com/
Alohabrothers Racing Oahu, HI

Last edited by bustingbladder on Wed Jul 31, 19 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 31, 19 10:25 am     Reply with quote

I saw people posting about Bam Bam on FB. And I had to login to see WTF happened. I literally met him the first day I touched a kite. My kite instructor introduced me to him. Such a cool dude. And seriously sad he is gone. Rest In Peace. Hope you are on the other side enjoying life as much as you did in this life.

Here is a relevant quote from Bam Bam from Google Groups discussing base jumping and the inherent risks:

Jon Malmberg
6/13/13
Except that as a one of "those" people, that choice of whether "I love it enough to risk my life for it"... is played out in our minds every time we step off an exit point. You may chose to call it a cliche, but for us it is a real choice that is made on EVERY jump. The Douggs article was excellent as it expanded up how we as BASE jumpers and our friends/family deal with the aftermath of that choice ending tragically.

Part of that is also an acceptance of the pain you will be putting your loved ones and friends through, and thus the perception of others regarding how selfish we must be. This is where it all gets complex. But in the end, it is my life... not yours, and I would turn that selfishness around upon those who cannot let me be me, and choose to life my life as I see fit too.

Jon

fatstixs

Since 02 Aug 2007
55 Posts
The Gorge

PostWed Jul 31, 19 3:40 pm    F.Y.I. 7pm Vigil for Bam Bam at the Event Site tonight. Reply with quote

F.Y.I. 7pm Vigil for Bam Bam at the Event Site tonight.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 01, 19 10:49 am     Reply with quote

There will be a memorial in Hood River in the near future.

Right now Jon's brother and sister in law are in Switzerland to bring Jon back home.
Because they understand that life for him here in the Gorge truly embodied what he was, how he lived, who he loved and who he was a part of, his brother would like to plan a memorial event that could allow "EVERYONE" to attend, and for it to be outdoors and someplace we all can be in attendance.

The family needs some time to bring him back and process everything that has happened.
In the meantime, because they were not directly a part of his life down here, they will be reaching out to his family down here (ie - All of us) for help in planning this event and in hearing about what Jon's life down here meant to each and all of us.

As some of you know, Jon is one of my best friends. I am wrecked and sad, but I am trying very hard to not piss him off by being too weepy. If you truly knew him, he hated being sappy and would be pissed off if we did not truly celebrate how well he lived his life and how much effort he put into trying to make everyone else's life that much better by sharing what he did with us.
As MOTO shared in Jon's quote, it was his life to choose how he lived it and what he did with it, and he did a hell of a lot with it.

bambam big tuesday 2.jpg 

www.Purestokesports.com

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Aug 12, 19 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

"Pull it High - They do call me high-pull bitches!" were the last words I heard from him.

The article implies he wasn't following his own protocol-- and waited too long to pull.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/08/wingsuit-BASE-jumping-deaths-safety-regulations/

The gorge won't be the same --RIP Bammers You will be missed.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 12, 19 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

Kraemer wrote:
"Pull it High - They do call me high-pull bitches!" were the last words I heard from him.

The article implies he wasn't following his own protocol-- and waited too long to pull.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/08/wingsuit-BASE-jumping-deaths-safety-regulations/

The gorge won't be the same --RIP Bammers You will be missed.

The article is full of shit. I had the opportunity to read the accident report, and Bam pulled high as he was known to do. There was an equipment malfunction that Bam worked hard to correct; and he did correct it. Just not in time--through no lack of skills on his part. As a career pilot I've read many accident reports and have learned to read between the lines. Bam Bam's last jump was a testament to his skill and steadiness under pressure. Pressure that would cause most to freeze in terror; not Bam Bam. If I ever face an equipment malfunction as serious as that, I hope to perform to the same level that Bam Bam did on that last jump.

Seriously, that article pisses me off. It does not even come close to what was in the accident report. That report was written by a highly qualified jumper who watched the whole thing, and I believe it to be accurate. That article is not accurate.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 13, 19 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you for writing this Mike. I had the same pissed feelings about the article. I felt that as a National Geographic article, it sucked. The amount of research the author put into this was nil and lacking in actual facts.
His statement about Jon directly conflicted with the facts from the incident report.
I've been wanting to find a correct way to write directly to the magazine about this article.
Anyways, thank you for saying what a lot of us have been feeling after reading the article.
Pepi

Nak wrote:

The article is full of shit. I had the opportunity to read the accident report, and Bam pulled high as he was known to do. There was an equipment malfunction that Bam worked hard to correct; and he did correct it. Just not in time--through no lack of skills on his part. As a career pilot I've read many accident reports and have learned to read between the lines. Bam Bam's last jump was a testament to his skill and steadiness under pressure. Pressure that would cause most to freeze in terror; not Bam Bam. If I ever face an equipment malfunction as serious as that, I hope to perform to the same level that Bam Bam did on that last jump.

Seriously, that article pisses me off. It does not even come close to what was in the accident report. That report was written by a highly qualified jumper who watched the whole thing, and I believe it to be accurate. That article is not accurate.

www.Purestokesports.com

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Aug 13, 19 11:56 pm     Reply with quote

We all want to know what happened. Please link us To the ax report.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: