Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wunderbar update
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 24, 19 7:25 am    Wunderbar update Reply with quote

The bar is 1/3 the size of last year, the western 2/3 is missing and we are launching into more of a wind shadow. Consequently launching there is a goat rope with lines and kites on top of each other. My request is that you deflate and wind up your lines as soon as you get in and don’t leave your kite on the beach and take a lunch break. This is no place for beginners. I would recommend that you kite at other sites this year.

We had our first car wreck there 10 days ago. People are not backing in far enough, the front of the vehicles are extending into the road right of way. Vehicles are still backing up traffic because they are not clearing eastbound traffic, see the sticky note 2 from the top.

The massive deadhead/log that was between the bar and the green buoy has migrated 1/4 mile west on the WA. side.

B07A6516-7478-43ED-8C6E-D61663E287DE.jpeg 

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 24, 19 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

Since we have a fair number of foilers at our bar, I'm requesting that before launching and after landing to bring foil boards up along the rocks to cut down on"popage" of landing kites. With the high water today we had room for 4 kites!

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 26, 19 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunately the little beach that remains continues to wash away with the high water. The logs and debris add to the challenge of launching and landing. Not an easy launch. It was nice while it lasted ....

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSat Jul 27, 19 7:41 am     Reply with quote

Until the water is lowered dramatically the Wunderbar is gone Sad ....

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 27, 19 8:00 am     Reply with quote

There was barely enough room to spread out my 12 last night, and it gets deep right off the beach. I think the eddy has carved the wunderbar away for good.

I’m going to scout Bingen and see what needs to happen there.

Also, several items left on the beach last night, everything is in the lost and found.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSat Jul 27, 19 9:20 am     Reply with quote

fingers crossed for Bingen. Maybe as a foiling site it will work better

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 27, 19 10:17 am     Reply with quote

We were discussing Bingen yesterday,lots of parking , kind of a Stevenson launch scenario. Wind quality is sub par. Desperate times for desperate wind junkies!

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 27, 19 10:38 am     Reply with quote

The Bingen point banks are overgrown with Indigo (invasive species) and some blackberry. I remember a good bit of mill foil in the late summer. And nets, anytime fishing is going on. The bottom was basalt 4” minus rocks, so lots of sharp edges. Booties would be a good idea.

It’s mostly a dog park these days, but lightly used.

Back in the day, it was a nice windsurfing spot, beginner friendly, with the bonus of nice grass, some shade, free and plentiful parking. There’s even a porta potty. Picnic tables.

It ticks a lot of the same boxes as Stevenson, except no easterlies.

With enough interest, maybe CGW2 might be able to make some improvements.

Downwinders to Mosier or even Lyle might be possible with the foils.

The windsurfing was just so so, slalom stuff, mostly flat, with the flat spot inside for hero gybes.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 27, 19 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt and I did a reconnoiter trip to Bingen Point today. HUUUUGE potential! Room for a 100 cars and 95 kites. Minor dog park and paraglider landing Zone conflicts. Found one spot to access the river down a gradual trail, drift out past the Eurasian mil foil and "voila", empty water and pretty steady wind. I will be working with the Port and Dave Sauter, the county commissioner, to promote this site as a great option to take the heat off Lyle. Did I mention NO RR TRACKS!

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 27, 19 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt the impact vest was mine. Thank you. Going to miss the good Karma of the wunderbar. Helmet was gone. North bar still in the bucket.
Beach was even smaller today than yesterday. Not much room left.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 27, 19 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

I think Bingen has some serious potential. I wonder if Insitu might want to play? Several Insitu folks kite/windsurf/foil/paddle.

Everybody's might be interested in helping out?

Eric

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 27, 19 5:55 pm    gusty Reply with quote

20 years ago we kited at Bingen and many other spots in the Gorge. Through some serious beat downs and some serious accidents we ruled out many of these spots including Bingen. The steep bank creates swirly, gusty wind at launch/landing that resulted in at least 1 bad kite accident with a very experienced, expert kiter. It would be possible with a huge project to re-grade the steep bank and add sand the size of a soccer field to make it a quality launch site.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 27, 19 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

I see the hazards, but kites have come a long way in twenty years.

Some brush clearing and we’re foiling a huge swath of river.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 28, 19 7:09 am     Reply with quote

The area that is circled is the best potential launch area. Presently there are 2 picnic tables next to the trail down to the river. There is thick Indigo bushes (invasive) that need to be trimmed back. Once that is done you can do a Stevenson launch, kiter in the water and kite on the hill, or launch on the grass and walk down the trail with your kite in the 12 o’clock position. This could turn into a foilers paradise!

36D2885F-B60E-4572-9587-521971624FFA.jpeg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 28, 19 10:03 am     Reply with quote

Back in the day we windsurfed it a couple times. I remember it as being gusty-holey not great. But with foils we can grin around that.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 28, 19 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Foils may be the game-changer that opens up spots like this. Areas with big gusts and risk of getting injured when trying to fly a kite big enough for boosting a twin-tip become a non issue with the relatively tiny kites used for foiling.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Jul 28, 19 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

I have ridden past there several times and the wind is quite shifty there but.......Just a few hundred yards to the East the wind is butter smooth. I think the wind is that way due to the direction of the river and some of the land formations nearby.
That being said, as a launch it could be great. Launch and get away then come back and land.
Check in with Bart at the CGWAA and see if a work party could be arranged.

Also, I know he (Bart) and Boarding Bob have identified a spot just West of Doug's that has huge potential but needs a work party to create an awesome new launch.

I attended a work party last Fall at Viento and there was only one other kiter there. The windsurfers and SUPers had a good showing. If you are not participating and complaining about the lack of launches, ES crowding etc, it's time to get involved.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: