Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui bag storage ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostWed Jul 24, 19 5:05 pm    Maui bag storage ideas Reply with quote

Hey I am flying into Maui with the family tomorrow and we are going to do the road to Hana right off. The problem is we can’t get into our condo to leave the kite stuff and our luggage and we are worried about theft if we bring it on the drive.

Anyone know of some storage lockers or options around the airport or any ideas of where we could stash our stuff for an afternoon on Maui?

Thanks!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 24, 19 7:09 pm    One of the kite shops Reply with quote

Maybe ask one of the kiting shops? Buy something and ask to rent some space. On second thought that might not work as the drive you're doing takes a long time and sometimes sh8t happens that might delay your return and they might be closed.

Humm, rent another rental car for the day and park it at the condos you're going to stay at and place your luggage in that car.

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostWed Jul 24, 19 11:26 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe I should just buy a new kite and ask the shop. perfect plan. The car rental agency suggested not picking up our bags from baggage claim and going back later in the day to lost baggage but that sounds like a great way to get your luggage detonated by a TSA bomb squad. Rolling Eyes

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 25, 19 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Hatchetthrower wrote:
Maybe I should just buy a new kite and ask the shop. perfect plan. The car rental agency suggested not picking up our bags from baggage claim and going back later in the day to lost baggage but that sounds like a great way to get your luggage detonated by a TSA bomb squad. Rolling Eyes

There is no security or anyone checking tags at Maui baggage carousels. It's basically an open air free for all. Anyone could walk off with your stuff.

NoHater

Since 03 Jun 2019
14 Posts
Oahu, HI

PostThu Jul 25, 19 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

Just bring it with you. Unless you are going to park the car on the side of the road and take off on some hike you should be good. Most places you will end up parking are going to be flooded with tourists anyway.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostFri Jul 26, 19 7:17 am     Reply with quote

If you have a coffin bag (or golf bag), you could bring a few straps and load it on the roof. Then place inside the vehicle when hiking.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jul 26, 19 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

How was the Road to Hana? Worth it?

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostWed Aug 14, 19 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

road to hana was great. I ended up being able to get into the condo early so we dropped our stuff off. I think the internet made it sound like a much more lawless place. I wouldn't want to leave the car for a long hike but for short bits of sightseeing along the road I would feel fine locking the stuff in the trunk.

Kiting in maui was great. I brought a 7 and 9 meter but in the future in july I think I would just bring the 7 or just an 8 if I have on by then. There is a cool spot in kihei near the whale sanctuary that the wind seems to hit on especially windy days that was fun and closer than the north shore. I kited at kahanna beach park which was nice but the surrounding area is a little sketchy.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Aug 15, 19 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like you had s nice trip, that’s great!! Don’t be deceived about car break-ins tho: if you’ve got a new rental car, it’ll happen, it’s just matter of when. Seen it way too many times, takes 2 minutes along side road anywhere. Just know you’re a target, and rent a wreck if you’re going to frequent non tourist spots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: