Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Making a rescue sled for a waverunner?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Diggy

Since 25 Nov 2006
342 Posts
Gorge to Coast
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 10, 09 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Thanks Diggy! I was thinking Foam layers, but hadn't thought about Polycarbonate... I know NSI carries some foam, but I'm not sure what size sheets they have. Do you know where I could get the Polycarbonate sheets? Also, what would you use to glue the layers together?

Northwest Industrial Plastics is in Tigard (Portland), they will have sheets of it in a variety of thicknesses. Perhaps buy two thin sheets and a thick piece to cut stringers out of and foam in between and on top? I would ask them what to glue it with.

Sheets would be moldable too since it is a thermoplastic.

Here some info on Polycarb

Specific Gravity = 1.2

http://distributionbizwiz.wordpress.com/2007/08/22/machining-forming-polycarbonate/

IKO Kiteboarding Instructor
http://www.ikointl.com/water.php

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed Jun 10, 09 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

Nak,
I would be a bit nervous about towing a sled behind my ski while rescuing kiters. Just one more thing for lines to get wrapped up on....
Jim

Vankiter

Since 24 Jun 2007
34 Posts
Canvouver

PostThu Jun 11, 09 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the plywood wood work for a cargo only sled. I'd like to avoid something that hard for the rescue mission though.

IMHO, if someone disses your rescue because your sled isn't posh enough, they can swim a little longer!

Depnding on the cost and effort to build a plastic and foam sled, it might be worth roughing out the concept with plywood. A prototype could be useful in determining what size seems most useful, how it tracks behind the ski, tow rope attachement, how much of a bow is needed on the sled, etc.

Good luck! Looking forward to another Nak "how to" post in a couple months!

gorgebob

Since 25 Jun 2007
259 Posts
Portland, OR
Shop Owner

PostFri Jun 12, 09 6:43 am     Reply with quote

Nak how about a supersoft surfboard . Flexy, padded and fairly cheap. I get you a photo and price later.
Portland
503-246-6646

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 12, 09 7:50 am     Reply with quote

gorgebob wrote:
Nak how about a supersoft surfboard . Flexy, padded and fairly cheap. I get you a photo and price later.

It needs to be 36" to 41" wide. I think that probably would eliminate the board, but if it is that wide I'd love to look at it. Very Happy

Thanks!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostFri Jun 12, 09 8:06 am     Reply with quote

encapsulated dock float
cut it in half
throw a mattress on the top Cool

if you can't afford a nice one Laughing

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 12, 09 10:59 am     Reply with quote

Here's an "Aqua Trailer" by Sevlor

Got this thing for $9 on Ebay. ($30 shipping) Very Happy Just took it out on the lake for a test spin. I did not hook it up like a tow toy like they suggest. I hooked it up like a rescue sled instead. Seemed to work pretty well. I want to add some bungees to the sides--3 point attachment-- so it will be a bit more stable in rough water. (Again, like a rescue sled...)

I had a 136 board & two kites, a 19m and a 15m. Not even close to loading it up. I'm guessing I could put 3 or 4 boards + 4 0r 5 kites and maybe a cooler in the thing. Very Happy So until I build a sled, this should carry my gear to the beach.

I wouldn't want to go near serious swell with this thing. I think with the bungees I could take it anywhere I really needed to go though...

If you want one, get one soon. They've stopped making them. Original price was too high probably, but the closeout price on Amazon is less than $70, with shipping!!

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Trailer-ATC250-Sevylor/dp/B001MSFZV8

IMG_6464 (Medium).JPG 
   IMG_6465 (Medium).JPG 
   IMG_6467 (Medium).JPG 
   IMG_6468 (Medium).JPG 
   IMG_6471 (Medium).JPG 

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostFri Jun 12, 09 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

Great idea, got mine on order. Thanks Very Happy

softboard

Since 18 Jul 2009
1 Posts

PostSat Jul 25, 09 9:11 pm    sled Rescue Reply with quote

I did try and liked this sled rescue[/img]

They have brand new for U$ 600 and either cheap used.
pipeline.us@hotmail.com

Sled Vermelho corpo de bombeiros 001.jpg 

wyndjunkie

Since 23 Jan 2008
4 Posts
cheney wa
Kook

PostSun Jul 26, 09 5:54 am    rescue vehicle Reply with quote

we played with jet skis and sleds for a rescue vehicle out east(roosevelt) quite a bit for many years... and discovered that a small 14 ft jet boat was just as nimble and had way more space for stuff, and kite rescue is a breeze up to about 40mph winds. then it gets pretty hairy but is still doable. we are on our second jet boat because we left the first one in the water and sun for 4 seasons straight and sun can do some amazing things to fabric...
you can get older seadoo jet boats in great shape for under 5 grand I bought my last one, 1998 twin engine 200 horse 14ft with only 30 hours on it for 4700.00 and when its a no wind day we can carry 5 comfortably and ski and wake... and its only 1300 lbs so its no more trouble to lug around than a jet ski.
these are images of my new boat from last year hopefully they show up[img][/img]

PHTO0004.JPG 
   PHTO0005.JPG 

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 26, 09 7:38 am     Reply with quote

Nice ride!

How is it in really heavy swell? I'd be a little afraid to take it in some of the big stuff, or is that just my inexperience with that type of boat talking? Nice thing about a 'ski is you can take a wall of water over your head and keep going. Very Happy

All that said, looks pretty nice. I'm sure for 95% of what we might do that's probably better than a 'ski. I really prefer taking my boat over a ski most places... On the other hand I'm sure I'd sink my boat (18' Bayliner) if I tried taking it from Stevenson to Hood river on a good wind day.

I've got a design in my head figured out to make a rescue sled. I'm thinking it will come in under $200. Once I get all of the parts rounded up I'll start construction. I'll post pics here. 2.2 pound Polyethylene core and an HDPE bottom.

A note on the raft above: You REALLY have to sew on nylon straps to make a 3 point attachment to the ski. Otherwise it can flip. Just take the cover and some straps in to a cobbler. Not sure if Mark (Dangler) or Airtime can sew through Nylon webbing? Once you have the straps on, use bungee cords to connect the straps to the stern eyes on the ski. There should be some tension on the bungee when the ski is at rest, but there needs to be give left too.

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 27, 09 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

kitezilla wrote:
How about towing a polyethylene John boat? $800.

http://www.directboats.com/20in12jonbo.html

If the Jetski breaks down, you could row it back.

Flip it upside down and you've got a nice little box.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 09, 19 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone figured out a alternative?

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Jul 11, 19 6:12 am     Reply with quote

Nak, you got a good project goin, I’ve been following the thread to see your approach. Now that I see the direction you are heading, I have a few suggestions.

I agree w scrapping the plywood idea, heavy and not flexible...if using HDPE for base, Starboard would be my choice, it is marine grade and should work well for your project. (McMaster-Carr Supply Company), prob two day mail order for you. The HDPE also gives good support for your handle or rope system on bottom. Maybe you could use grommets or large plastic washers on top side.

2 part Epoxy resin would be my call, I personally swear by Resin Research due to its superior attributes; but West System or Fiberglass Hawaii would work fine as well. I’d stick to surfboard epoxy resins. Fiberglass Supply, out of Burlington, WA.

When laminating HDPE to foam, I’m thinking 4oz fiberglass, not just HDPE directly to foam....of extreme importance, using West System 404 Adhesive filler mixed to a thin spreadable consistency to enhance this bond. The HDPE needs to be prepped properly: rough sanded on lamination side, lightly “flamed” with torch, 404 mix thinly spread, layer of 4 oz “wetted out”, tape and weight down till cured.

For additional strength, if you decide. An easy and very effective method for adding a stringer or 3, would be to cut foam lengthwise and to wrap the sections of foam with unidirectional carbon strips (lengthwise) so they extend an inch or so on top and bottom of foam core, using 3M super 77 to temporarily adhere. When sections are put back together, this will create carbon stringers, in essence a carbon “I” beam.

I’d be glad to send you some unidirectional carbon and some 404 if you’d like. No charge, I got some in shop. Kewl to see someone constructing their own shiz! Rock on and good luck, you’ve got the concept down, now for the FUN!! .....ALWAYS wear respirator for sanding and laminating, even on small projects. Peace

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Jul 11, 19 6:23 am     Reply with quote

NSI May have a sheet of cushioned foam for top if necessary or desired...not sure your idea on top...

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 11, 19 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas West! Unfortunately, I sold my Waverunner about 9 years ago. Your ideas might help someone else though! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: