Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Under Inflated Kites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 09, 19 4:08 pm    Under Inflated Kites Reply with quote

Hi all, I wanted to share an observation with you that could save a lot of sessions. The last couple months I've landed a bunch of kites that have folded in half when setting them down due to being under inflated. I've also rescued a couple people who's kites started jelly fishing in the air due to under inflation. When your kites are under inflated or lose air, it can be a kitemare to fly them back to shore and very dangerous. The kites are designed to and fly much better when rock hard. That's typically 7 to 9 psi depending on manufacturer and kite size. I even go up to 10 psi on some of my kites. Not to mention you lose about 1 psi when your kite touches the water due to the temperature differential. So keep those kites pumped and have fun out there!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jul 09, 19 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

It aint' right, till it's Baywatch tight!

Thumb's Up

Baywatch tight.jpg 

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 09, 19 4:26 pm    Hard as rock ! Reply with quote

Yes ! Pump your kites as hard as a rock . They are not going to pop and if they do you would rather they pop on the beach versus out on the water . Come on ! Get your work out in . Pump Up Your Kites Alien

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 10, 19 12:16 pm    Re: Under Inflated Kites Reply with quote

a.benjamin76 wrote:
Hi all, I wanted to share an observation with you that could save a lot of sessions. The last couple months I've landed a bunch of kites that have folded in half when setting them down due to being under inflated. I've also rescued a couple people who's kites started jelly fishing in the air due to under inflation. When your kites are under inflated or lose air, it can be a kitemare to fly them back to shore and very dangerous. The kites are designed to and fly much better when rock hard. That's typically 7 to 9 psi depending on manufacturer and kite size. I even go up to 10 psi on some of my kites. Not to mention you lose about 1 psi when your kite touches the water due to the temperature differential. So keep those kites pumped and have fun out there!

+1 more often than not, I launch and land under inflated kites.

coup

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 10, 19 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
It aint' right, till it's Baywatch tight!

Thumb's Up

Sometimes I love NWKite so much!!!
Slither you made my day.

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: