Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Electric kite pump? Recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Aaron

Since 27 Sep 2017
20 Posts

PostSun Jun 30, 19 9:53 pm    Electric kite pump? Recommendations? Reply with quote

Considering an electric kite pump. What do folks recommend? Plug-in to vehicle? Cordless/rechargeable? Pressure gauge?

No real issues with manually pumping but tempting after bending over my 13 meter for 5 minutes.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 01, 19 7:33 am    pump Reply with quote

Smaller kites Laughing

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostMon Jul 01, 19 7:34 am     Reply with quote

so i just saw my buddy running one of these not from the kite world but used it just for pumping up kites for the initial phase then top off with a regular kite pump. Works slick.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCC020IB-20V-Inflator-Bare/dp/B07H39S9JQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjKCSqIWU4wIVEJ-fCh2Www64EAAYASAAEgIKB_D_BwE&hvadid=243312916771&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9021352&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1268413310395045033&hvtargid=kwd-324446725810&hydadcr=23759_9904187&keywords=dewalt+20v+air+compressor&qid=1561995140&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 01, 19 7:37 am    Re: pump Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Smaller kites Laughing

Clouds.... about 12 strokes for my 3.7 Smile

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 01, 19 7:52 am    Re: Electric kite pump? Recommendations? Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
Considering an electric kite pump. What do folks recommend? Plug-in to vehicle? Cordless/rechargeable? Pressure gauge?

No real issues with manually pumping but tempting after bending over my 13 meter for 5 minutes.

13m is child's play.

Back in the day, try a 19 meter C kite (non-octopus inflation system). If I recall correctly that was at least 150 strokes and with smaller and less capacity--probably more with the individual struts that needed inflation.

One thing that I like to remember and note are the # of pump strokes it takes to inflate each one of my kites. It helps if I'm using a pump without a pressure gauge and also helps mentally as one knows "how much longer it will be till the finish line".

Back in the day there was a kite pump electronic bag/package that was about $120 back in 2005. It had a ceiling/pressure limit to set and could pump up to higher pressures.

This might work for ya.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-and-Cordless-High-Volume-Power-Inflator-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-Tools-Only-P738-P737/308692506?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD25H%7C25-28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000052227371%7c58700005026398229%7c92700043892083304&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIydn7oIeU4wIVl6DsCh21sgxLEAQYASABEgIf7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 01, 19 9:28 am    pump Reply with quote

http://www.windance.com/Kiteboard-Pumps/?subcategory=Electric%2BPumps I use the battery in my van. Li-ion battery is a nice upgrade.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 01, 19 10:13 am    Re: Electric kite pump? Recommendations? Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:

Aaron,

I have been using electric pumps for years and have a lot of experience with them. Interesting point is this year I have switched back to manual. The larger intake port on newer kites has reduced my interest in maintaining an electric pump.

That being said, these are my thoughts on electric pumps:

1) You need a padded backpack to carry your pump in. Two things break every pump:
-Dropping your pump as all parts (sprockets etc.) are plastic.
-Sand is a pumps worst enemy.

2) 10AH battery works best. It's the perfect weight to hold your kite down (technique to be described below)

3) Depending upon kitesize and age of battery a single 10ah battery will pump 2-4 kites to 9-10psi.

4) Clip an elastic strap (about 18" max extension) to your backpack. Add a small clip to the other end of this strap you can clip to your kite. This makes the perfect kite weight. Rather than laying items on top of your kite (which creates pinholes as these items push your kite down to the ground) you can connect this strap underneath your leading edge to your pump connect point. After connecting the elastic strap to your kite feed it under your leading edge and connect it to your backpack. Then roll your backpack around the strap until it is tight against the leading edge. The weight of your backpack (with a 10ah battery) acts as a solid anchor and the strap attached to your kite keeps your kite pulled downward to the ground. The elastic strap is better than a solid strap simply because it is easier to hook and unhook to your kite. Also, it tends to keep continuous pressure on your kite if slack is introduced. Additionally, the dual clipping system makes connecting a breeze. Simply connect the kite side first, route under the leading edge, then connect to your backpack.

5) One big advantage to an electric kite pump is speed to water. To pump the kite I put my kite on it's back (as normal for pumping a kite) and attach the strap to the kite. I can set it and forget it. Once my PSI point is reached it turns off. Meanwhile I am getting ready to kite. I can put on my gear, run my lines, drink water.... Whatever. The pump is done pumping my kite before I have completed all my other activities. The counter point to this is the extra work behind the scenes to maintain your battery. If you include this extra work this advantage probably dissipates.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jul 01, 19 11:36 am     Reply with quote

get one of these!

https://www.slingshotsports.com/Kim-K-Kite-Pump

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostMon Jul 01, 19 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
get one of these!

https://www.slingshotsports.com/Kim-K-Kite-Pump

+1
Or get the granddaddy of kite pumps, the tall double-barrel WMFG pump. My buddy uses this for his 13-17m kites...
https://wmfg.co/products/wmfg-kiteboard-pump-2-0d

Aaron

Since 27 Sep 2017
20 Posts

PostMon Jul 01, 19 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice! See you out there😎

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Jul 02, 19 4:41 am    Re: Electric kite pump? Recommendations? Reply with quote

" It helps if I'm using a pump without a pressure gauge"

Sassy, any way to eliminate a pressure gauge from a WMFG style pump? Would there even be a benefit to doing that?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 02, 19 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! See you out there😎

Aaron,

One more thought...

I have used both mechanical and digital pressure gauges. The digital gauges seem very accurate to me. The mechanical... not so much.

Usually the digital gauge version pump is about $50 bucks more, but well worth the investment.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 08, 19 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Bought my wife one of these for her inflatable SUPs. Should be able to make it work for a kite. Programmable, so shuts off when you reach the desired pressure. Drag would be having a 12v source close by (car/pickup), so probably a non-starter for you, but it's been a great pump. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5K7HFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 08, 19 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

I’m sure you can find small, lightweight LiFePhosphate batteries for a decent price to use as a portable. If interested. Also, Windance has a yellow portable pump with battery already. Maybe Seamax? Or something like that. Works fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: