Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

LightOver wetsuit top that prevents evaporative cooling
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 21, 19 5:10 am     Reply with quote

<<I think you are underestimating how well these things stretch. Give it a try over the wetsuit and I'll bet you it'll be okay. >>

You are absolutely correct. Stretched over my suit easily. That material is kind of amazing.

Yesterday was very cool and windy. There was a big difference in warmth when comparing where the NP jersey was, and was not in terms of evaporative cooling. In short, it's a winner.

I think I am now officially one of those "look at all of those layers" dudes.

So be it. Being cold is not fun.

Eric

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 04, 19 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Update:

The NP overshirt absolutely works to minimize evaporative cooling. But, durability is an issue. Alter 15-20 sessions the rubber material is delaminating from the shoulders on the back side. I’ll write a note to NP about it and see if this is normal.

Eric

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 04, 19 11:32 am     Reply with quote

Post a pic.

My oldest one has a lot of cracks in it but still works. Most of the wear is from pulling it off to be honest. It's 3 years old with 50-70 sessions on it.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 04, 19 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

Here you go

IMG_3259.JPG 

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 05, 19 9:38 am     Reply with quote

Send that sucker back to NP, it's not supposed to do that.

I own 3 of these tops for myself, 1 for the wife and 2 for the kid. None of them have done anything like that.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 05, 19 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Okay. Good to know. Amazon sending me a new shirt. Fingers crossed on durability for round 2...

Eric

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 08, 19 7:34 am     Reply with quote

related to the top getting torn up on the back. Ive blown out a few tops in the past reaching back and grabbing it like a tshirt, and trying to pull it over my head. I guess whatever they're made out of just isnt that tough.

These days i grab the bottom part of the top, the part around my waist, and pull that over each elbow. I use my elbows as kind of a hook, then just raise up my arms and the top pulls right up around my neck. This doesnt beat the top up and it comes off much easier.

Anyway, it feels pretty kooky to share this as a tip. Hope it works for ya.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 24, 19 7:02 am     Reply with quote

Final update for the two of you who might be interested...

The thin NP top works well, for what it is, and its intended use. We will see if the replacement holds up. But....

The thicker Promotion top is a lot warmer in that it basically completely eliminates evaporative cooling from the wetsuit, whereas the NP slows it down. It's the evap cooling that really starts to chill me down when I am out trying to learn new whatever and falling in a lot. The NP extends my session, whereas the ProMo top basically allows me to stay out as long as I want.

Eric

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 24, 19 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

Okay wait....

Will at Promotion gave me their new lighter exotop to tryon today.

Winner!!

100% wind protection, but without the additional fuzzy insulating layer. short sleeves mean 100% water drainage after falls. Highly recommend.

Eric

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 25, 19 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

That sounds pretty good.

The reason I sold my promotion exoskin was that every time I would go in the water I would end up 5 lbs heavier coming out.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 25, 19 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

Agreed. This lighter top is a different beast. Pure wind protection with zero sponge effect. It’s a winner

E

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Aug 04, 23 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.dakine.com/products/renegade-wind-vest-jacket-mens

I think they have the same thing at Big Winds branded as Cabrinha.

https://adventuresportsusa.com/products/cabrinha-0-3mm-neo-top-w-tpu

and I'm wondering if it is the same thing as the Neil Pryde top from 2019, or is it more durable?

I'm looking for something to use as sun protection on the 80-90 degrees days that won't be too warm, but also won't cause evaporative cooling wind chill like a regular lycra rashguard.

I have been loving the ProMotion EXO-Lite top, but need a replacement for when it wears out, and all they have left is women's sizes.

https://stores.wetsuit.com/womens-long-sleeve-exo-lite-top-black-j07/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: