Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First visit advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonyg

Since 27 May 2006
20 Posts

PostSat Jun 22, 19 8:22 am    First visit advice Reply with quote

Finally making a trip to Hood River the 3rd week of July. Coming from NC, normally ride OBX. Can't believe it's taken this long to get out there, been on my list of destinations since my windsurfing days long long ago. Staying in a VRBO downtown with my wife and another kiting buddy with his wife.
I regularly read this forum but figured there's probably some things I might not think about so probably worth posting.

Gear:
I've converted to foiling and that's pretty much all I want to do these days. Behind that is the surfboard and then the dusty TT. My foiling level, I'm up riding easily, newly riding toeside, coming around on the foil, comfortable in most winds but don't tend to foil in anything over 30.
Since I'm flying and can't bring it all I'm thinking the foil/board and the surfboard. Am I making a mistake not bringing the TT? For kites, I'm thinking 6,7,10 Airush Waves. Leaving the 9,12 at home. Have the option of 4.5,8.5 CA Waves (closed cell foils), light and small but not sure if worth bringing them.

Wetsuits:
2/2 Spring Suit (shorty) and 3/2 full suit?

Theft:
I read all these posts about stolen gear etc. Flying into Portland and have an F150 rented. Not sure I'll get access the the keypad entry of if it'll have one, hopefully I will and then problem solved. If not, any advice on how to secure goods at the event site or other launches when on the water?

Lost Board:
How big an issue is this? Seems more common but is that because of the river current? I can body drag and assume that kiting with others and looking out for each other it is less of an issue?

Anything else I should be aware of, other considerations?

Thanks
Tony

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 22, 19 8:44 am    Welcome ! Reply with quote

Tony ,

Welcome to Hood River , feel free to PM me if you want to meet up once your here I will gladly show you around.

Your quiver of 6,7,10 and a foil & surfboard should have you covered. If you need a twin tip while your here I have one you can borrow. I would bring your 3/2 wetsuit long sleeves / legs . That is my advice

There is a theft problem in the entire Columbia River Gorge , not just Hood River because of the access of I84 . Something to keep in mind if you go hiking or checking out the local water falls , etc. Don't leave anything in your car. If you are kiting at the event site , keep your car locked , valuables out of sight you should be fine. I leave my kite bag, pump and clothes next to one of the trees at the rigging area, you should be fine.

We are thankful you are making a trip to visit Hood River Thumb's Up

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

tonyg

Since 27 May 2006
20 Posts

PostSat Jun 22, 19 9:23 am     Reply with quote

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the feedback and the offer. Maybe I'll see you out there.
Tony

Nevo

PostSat Jun 22, 19 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Welcome.

Kite sizes and wetsuits sound good. I’ll be in boardshorts by the third week of July for sure.

Lost boards would relate to kitemares for more experienced riders I expect. The river grabs boards and runs the opposite direction of the wind. I only use a surfboard so that’s a non issue for me. Just take notice the first time you body drag to see how your foil recovery goes. Then you’ll know for sure. Tide affected launches will grab boards the most when its outgoing but that’s 90 minutes west of the event site.

Theft seems focused on event site kiting and people leaving gear out on the grass. I don’t hear about smashed windows to steal gear at the launches. That happens at hiking trails for sure.

Have fun!

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSat Jun 22, 19 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

You are bringing the right gear for sure. No need for a twintip while you are here, especially with your ARK Waves quiver. You might be a little warm in a 3/2 full suit but its better to be too warm than cold. I pretty much always wear long sleeves to prevent sunburn.

Like the rest said, lock your vehicle and keep valuables out of sight. Empty it at hiking trails and waterfalls.

If you plan on kiting the event site the entire time, do the math on a season parking pass vs day passes. I think its's $8 or $9 a day.

There are lots of places other than Hood River to kite so keep that in mind too. I highly recomend a day at the coast. For that, you will need at least a 4/3 full suit. Make a journey an hour or so to the East too. There are some great spots out there with big river swell.

Ht any of us up for restaurant recomendations. PM me and I can probably kite with you some since I tend to have week days off.

Steve

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

tonyg

Since 27 May 2006
20 Posts

PostSat Jun 22, 19 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all. I'm planning to bring my shorty as well and probably by heater top. Woukld like to explore some and not limit myself to the event site. Be great to meet and ride with some of you all. Restaurant recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks again.
Tony

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 24, 19 10:10 am    Re: First visit advice Reply with quote

tonyg wrote:
Am I making a mistake not bringing the TT? For kites, I'm thinking 6,7,10 Airush Waves. Have the option of 4.5,8.5 CA Waves (closed cell foils), light and small but not sure if worth bringing them.

Wind at the ES is going to be a lot gustier than you are used to in the OBX if you are mostly in to foiling I would consider at least one of the CA Waves.

Leave the TT at home unless you are in to kickers and sliders because outside of that riding a TT at the ES is the same as anywhere else.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Jun 24, 19 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

For foiling I highly recommend riding at Stevenson (Washington side, about 17 miles west of Hood River,) and Rufus (45 minutes drive east of Hood River, Oregon side). Much easier to get out on the water on a foil at these locations. Also way less crowded than the Event Site at peak season. Stop by any of the shops (2nd Wind, Big Winds, Windance) and they'll help steer you in the right direction for the day.

tonyg

Since 27 May 2006
20 Posts

PostMon Jun 24, 19 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

Wind at the ES is going to be a lot gustier than you are used to in the OBX if you are mostly in to foiling I would consider at least one of the CA Waves.
Leave the TT at home unless you are in to kickers and sliders because outside of that riding a TT at the ES is the same as anywhere else.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll bring the CA Waves just in case, easy to include and they take up minimal space/weight.

Dern wrote:
For foiling I highly recommend riding at Stevenson (Washington side, about 17 miles west of Hood River,) and Rufus (45 minutes drive east of Hood River, Oregon side). Much easier to get out on the water on a foil at these locations. Also way less crowded than the Event Site at peak season. Stop by any of the shops (2nd Wind, Big Winds, Windance) and they'll help steer you in the right direction for the day.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check with the shops. I want to explore all these places if possible, not be limited to one spot.

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jun 25, 19 10:52 am     Reply with quote

For securing valuables: like it's said earlier, be considerate of what you leave visible. For your keys when you're out riding:

I bought one of those lockboxes Realtors use on homes for sale, and just attach it to a strong spot on the car's frame. Go big on this, first time i did it was in Maui and the F-150 key fob was too big for the box I got.

You're going to have a blast!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 25, 19 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Don't forget that there is NO SALES TAX in Oregon.

Yes, you are going to have a blast.

You are going to want to buy a cooler. Buy lots of extra beers to drink and for handing out to all the new riding buddies you will establish. If flying into PDX airport, hit the Costco east of there on Airport Way on your way out to get one of the bigger coolers there and cases of beer. Plan on using the cooler as a piece of luggage for your return trip for all the tax free stuff you're going to buy.

In the event it isn't windy in the gorge when you are there, but windy at the coast, you can rent a thicker wetsuit at Cleanline in Seaside or Cannon Beach. And there might be a location in Da Hood, too. If it isn't windy in the gorge, the ProMotion crew drives a van down for downwinders at Lot B--maybe they rent used suits? a 4/3 will work, but a 5/4 is SO much nicer. Especially if you're stuck down in the water for a long time for whatever reason. You can go bootie free, but over the years I've discovered I like booties 90% of the time.

Also if it isn't windy and you want to get some views in and something to eat, I'd try Timberline lodge in the evening. Forewarning it isn't cheap, but excellent food. The lodge is historical and "they don't build them like that anymore (it is the lodge filmed in The Shining). Or load up your cooler with snacks and go up to the parking lot there and tour the lodge and then sit in your truck bed and eat and drink and take in the sunset.

PM me if you want more info or other ideas.

Have fun and welcome to the PNW!

tonyg

Since 27 May 2006
20 Posts

PostSat Aug 10, 19 7:34 am    Amazing week Reply with quote

I'm a bit delinquent but wanted to post a follow-up.

In short:
Amazing week (7/13-7/20)!!! Kited my a$$ off every day and wore myself out. Loved the place and already planning next year, this will definitely be an annual trip.

Longer version:

Rode most days at the event site on the foil, small kite. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Sandbar is pretty busy but once you get enough room to dive the kite and head west there's room to play. Nice having facilities and food/drink at the launch. Actually connected with Fred Hope one day for an hour getting some foil tips. My foiling came a long way that week. Worked with Fred on some flying foot switches and heel to toe 180 tacks. Mostly got beat up but came away with lots of tips and stuff to work on.

Went out east to Rufus one day which quickly turned into Arlington. Rode the surfboard/7m there. Great spot and experience.

Lots of good food and amazing community. The girls were happy as could be with us gone all day every day. They were hiking, hitting wineries and cider places, shopping etc. Win/win.

Wish I would have connected more with some of you all but ended up that my buddy was part of a large group from MN of 15+. Will try to do better next year.

You have a special place and I can't wait to get back.

Tony

navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostSat Aug 17, 19 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yo Tony,
I think you or your buddies from MN helped me undo my lines on the sand bar one day ... cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: