Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kitemare - Slider Rope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 22, 19 8:13 am    Kitemare - Slider Rope Reply with quote

I was enjoying yesterday's nuking winds up by the green buoy on a 6m & surf board , seen a nice clean slab to slash , looped the kite and BOOM !! Wave there she went . I knew immediately that my slider rope had snapped. In my mind i was thinking about a recent Reed Brady story as he turned his harness around backwards and attached the chicken loop to the handle pass attachment on the back of the harness but I am not Reed and the swell was dunking me and my surfboard was gone so i started to wind up my lines , made it to the kite and was able to make a sail , Thank you Slingshot for having the rescue loops on the wingtips (shameless plug) made my way to the white salmon sand bar . Shout out to Ken Lucas (Cabrinha Kites , Kiting Professional ) for saving my surfboard. Shout out to Jason Watts (Free Agent ! congratulations! ) on giving me a lift across the bridge back to Hood River . Check your ropes ! Inspecting mine the rope is still in decent shape , the knot was sheared off or I kook tied my figure 8 ? I would rather not experience that again , back to the fixed hook ? Crying or Very sad

IMG_3960.jpg 

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Jun 22, 19 8:40 am     Reply with quote

If you never need to untie a rigging knot and never want it to loosen up and fail, try using Marine Goop and smear and squeeze it into the knot. I do this with my slider bar knots in particular and other knots that I never want to untie or have them fail while riding. Once the knot is gooped up, then it is permanent and will never come undone on its own.

Question

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 22, 19 8:56 am    Thank you !! Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice . I am going to try that .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Nevo

PostSat Jun 22, 19 9:50 am     Reply with quote

Nah not back to the fixed hook. Just add in a safety check.

I look at my slider frequently and replace it yearly. This year I noticed abnormal fraying and discovered a cracked grommet on the actual spreader bar that was cutting my line.

tonyg

Since 27 May 2006
20 Posts

PostSat Jun 22, 19 11:49 am     Reply with quote

I am hooked on the slider rope and failure like this could be very bad. Frequent checks is good (which I need to do more of) but it would be nice if there was an easy way to rig a backup rope, slightly less tension than the primary, able to take over in case of failure. Need to play around with it on my RE harness.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Jun 22, 19 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

My Dynabar has holes for 2 ropes (maybe even 3?) Any way I have 2 which seems to work well for backup safety, plus it seems like they wear much slower with 2.

snowbunny

Since 05 Nov 2013
54 Posts

PostSun Jun 23, 19 6:06 am    oysterman knot Reply with quote

I had success with the oysterman knot (originally suggested by Gman in this thread), no slippage or failure after maybe 30 sessions so far:

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-43676.html

FWIW I had the hook snap off the bar from an old harness (weld failure) on the west side of Wells island a few years back... similar situation to the broken slider rope, so hook is no guarantee that won't happen.

It was a slog back to the ES using my spare leash to hardwire the CL to the side of my harness in a way that would still allow me to flag the kite. Took a pretty long time to get that done while trying to hold onto my board; fortunately (for me) not super windy that day (12m), not sure if i could have done it in 30-40 kt wind + swell

-e

earthsurfer526

Since 11 Jan 2009
54 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSun Jun 23, 19 6:38 am     Reply with quote

Jon,

Try this rope. Super strong and works amazingly
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/new-england-rope-sts-wr2-sk-78-synthetic-life-line

Never had this line break and I tend to put a bit of force on it.

surfer

Since 02 Aug 2012
51 Posts
westport, wa

PostSun Jun 23, 19 8:15 am    dual rope Reply with quote

LIke a Dual depower rope I make my slider a dual slider rope Very Happy

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostSun Jun 23, 19 8:44 am     Reply with quote

I had the rope break last season, even though it did not show any significant wear(check before each session). Unfortunately I had my 8" short leash on a ring on the rope(I knew this was not a good idea, but the rope looked to be in such good shape, I couldn't imagine it failing), so it all went and nothing to reattach the kite to.

Now I run 2 ropes on my dynabar and have my leash attached to the center of the bar. I'm not worried about having them identical length, just close enough, so that the rings ride on one rope and the other rope is the redundant backup, that allows for finishing any session without worry.

This was tested the other week when I had been noticing a knot slipping very slowly for a while. When I came in from my session, I found the knot had finally slipped through and I had been riding on the other rope and hadn't noticed the failure.

I have been using the simple overhand knot with varying results(some tend to slip while others lock in), and hadn't been using long tails on the knots.

I now leave long tails and tie and extra knot behind the knot to stop the knot slipping. I figure this way the rope will break long before the knot slips out(plenty of time to notice a slipping knot). Time will tell.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 24, 19 8:20 am     Reply with quote

I have 3 seasons+ and over 300 sessions on my Ride Engine with a slider rope.
I replace the rope every spring ($7.00) and I've never had an issue.

But just in case I tie a backup cord around the spreader pad.

IMG_2808.JPG 

Last edited by ldhr on Mon Jun 24, 19 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jun 24, 19 8:57 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

the same - Ken Lucas teased me for letting mine get ratty

$7 and 5min

also want to inspect and stay on top of your chicken loop and trim line

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 24, 19 9:55 am     Reply with quote

I tried a few different slider setups and didn't like any of them but I'm a big fan of the Cab Fireball, might want to give it a go before going to a fixed hook, especially if you like to boost.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 24, 19 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

Or do something recommended by no one. I am rationalizing this by pretending it is to see how long the frayed line lasts.

20190624_164715 (Small).jpg 

Nevo

PostMon Jun 24, 19 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

But just in case I tie a backup cord around the spreader pad.

I love my ride engine but the grommets that the rope goes through have cracked and now cut through my ropes fast. Waiting to hear back from ride engine about warranty :-/

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostTue Jun 25, 19 1:01 am     Reply with quote

I use the Dakine Options slider bar....has 2 ropes for added security. I think the durability of the rope also depends on what you use to attach to it. With Slingshot Talon system, I replaced the rope for the first time recently after over 200 sessions, one of the ropes was getting pretty frayed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: