Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thank you! Board retrieval, I owe ya!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
happycamper

Since 11 Jul 2012
72 Posts
white salmon

PostMon Jun 17, 19 4:34 pm    Thank you! Board retrieval, I owe ya!! Reply with quote

Had my kite depower rope go from 1/2 depowered to full power and consequently got yarded, 3 x before I had to release my safety. No way to get my board(name and # on it). Got myself into wells island and had a 15 ft patch of sand to run my lines out, tried 2x to drift launch but too many sticks, finally got the lines straight,clipped into the bar and then wound up my lines, put the kite in the water leading edge down and with water on it( to keep it from flipping over) walked backward as I paid out the lines to keep tension on them and then launched and body dragged back to the wunderbar.
BEST part, some awesome kiter, tall and wearing a black neoprene cap, towed my board there, another awesome soul took it home to Underwood and cld me. I would love to pay the kiter his six pack or whatever you drink!! Pm me and accept my sincere thanks and some beverage. Kiter community rocks!

happycamper

Since 11 Jul 2012
72 Posts
white salmon

PostMon Jun 17, 19 4:43 pm    drift launch Reply with quote

Forgot to say Thanks to the Mosier guys, Pete, Walt and John who taught me how to drift launch. It came in handy today. I'll pay it fwd and share what I know w/others.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 17, 19 8:04 pm    Re: Thank you! Board retrieval, I owe ya!! Reply with quote

happycamper wrote:
Had my kite depower rope go from 1/2 depowered to full power and consequently got yarded, 3 x before I had to release my safety. No way to get my board(name and # on it). Got myself into wells island and had a 15 ft patch of sand to run my lines out, tried 2x to drift launch but too many sticks, finally got the lines straight,clipped into the bar and then wound up my lines, put the kite in the water leading edge down and with water on it( to keep it from flipping over) walked backward as I paid out the lines to keep tension on them and then launched and body dragged back to the wunderbar.
BEST part, some awesome kiter, tall and wearing a black neoprene cap, towed my board there, another awesome soul took it home to Underwood and cld me. I would love to pay the kiter his six pack or whatever you drink!! Pm me and accept my sincere thanks and some beverage. Kiter community rocks!

Nice people were looking out for ya!

The standard for returned board or saving you from a kitemare is a CASE.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 18, 19 4:58 am     Reply with quote

A simple "thanks" is more than enough for many.

Goes around, comes around

E

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 18, 19 6:12 am    Beer Reply with quote

Hey Sasquatch can you have some signs made and put up at the event site.
I rescued 7 people with my wave runner one day last year. I got a warm 12 pack a month later from another local. Nothing from anybody else.
I like the case payment plan. lol
Hey happy I'll take that drift launch lesson Very Happy

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 18, 19 11:43 am    Slightly OT Reply with quote

HappyCamper - good news all around...glad to hear your board and more importantly you, made it in safe & sound. I'd be interested in the drift launch lunch-n-learn...

The more you know - like the Scouts say - it's best to "Be Prepared".

Beyond that I'd offer a CASE of beer to anyone who can help put a stop to the boards going missing from the beach at the Event Site, unfortunate reality and more concerning now that I finally upgraded to a better ride...

Cheers to all the SkySurfers

Forecast calls for: Stoke Level Ramping UP to record highs

Mc

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 18, 19 1:32 pm    Re: Beer Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Hey Sasquatch can you have some signs made and put up at the event site.
I rescued 7 people with my wave runner one day last year. I got a warm 12 pack a month later from another local. Nothing from anybody else.
I like the case payment plan. lol
Hey happy I'll take that drift launch lesson

Hey Wannabekiter: Per your request, I'm working on getting the signs made.
I'm a proponent of using less plastic and or reusing existing plastic so less will be made in the future.

I thought I'd make the 1 "case beer payment plan" signs for gear retrieval/rescue out of one-time use plastic bags. So it might take me awhile to find enough material to construct signs since plastic bags are outlawed in HR.

Are 4 signs enough? I thought I'd place one at the hook, one in between the hook and the wunderbar, one at the wunderbar, and one over at the marina--scratch that I will place 5; one on Wells Island I think would be beneficial too; Happycamper can probably help me with insight on the best location on placement of the sign on the island with their recent experience and all.

This is going to take a lot of plastic bags and time so please be patient. Razz Laughing Wink

When I started out back in '03, a case of beer was that standard thank you for gear returns. That got to be expensive and taught me to kite within my limits etc etc and to establish a routine to adhere to when packing up so I wouldn't leave gear behind.
Often times newbies bite off more than they can chew when out on the water.

But sh*t does happen to people of every level of ability all at time. . .

eric wrote:
A simple "thanks" is more than enough for many.

Goes around, comes around

And Eric is right, thanks is enough and what "goes around, comes around."

But thanks and a beer is better,

and Thanks and a "truck driver cold" beer is best!

And just so you all know, when I do a good deed out there out on the water ie drag someone in to shore from an incident, collect a kite or board, whatever. . .

I don't expect anything from that person I helped with the hope that they will
TO PAY IT FORWARD 3x.

Please keep an eye out for everyone out there and have fun![b]

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 18, 19 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

I don’t know, maybe a graduated scale like

TT board- easy 2 beers
Surfboard- little harder 6 pack
Kite - 1/2 rack
Person- case

or something along those lines?

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 19, 19 6:18 am    beer Reply with quote

Last year or the year before I picked up a guy with a 12m and foil in the channel.
He had no wet suit or life jacket.. That should have been a keg.

Karp

Since 11 Mar 2015
42 Posts
Mt Hood

PostThu Jun 20, 19 7:05 am     Reply with quote

Hey Happycamper no worries that was me that saved your board. Glad you made it back safe. Your board was floating in the middle with no one around. I like beer so I’ll take one whenever thanks. Always good to help out a fellow kiter. 🤙

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jun 20, 19 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Karp wrote:
Hey Happycamper no worries that was me that saved your board. Glad you made it back safe. Your board was floating in the middle with no one around. I like beer so I’ll take one whenever thanks. Always good to help out a fellow kiter. 🤙

Team SAP stepping it up! Nice save Karp.

Karp

Since 11 Mar 2015
42 Posts
Mt Hood

PostFri Jul 05, 19 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Happycamper thanks for the beer!! See ya in the water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: