Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge Ban the Bags!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 18, 19 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Symbolism over substance

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-sorry-banning-plastic-bags-wont-save-our-planet/

"The simplest action for consumers is to ensure that plastic is collected and used, so a grocery bag, for example, has a second life as a trash bag, and is then used for energy.

But we need to be honest about how much consumers can achieve. As with other environmental issues, instead of tackling the big-picture problems to actually reduce the plastic load going into oceans, we focus on relatively minor changes involving consumers, meaning we only ever tinker at the margins."

"And if we really want to make a meaningful impact on ocean plastics coming from land, we should focus on the biggest polluters such as China, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam, and emphasize the most effective ways to cut the plastic load, namely better waste management in the developing world."

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 18, 19 8:36 am     Reply with quote

OK Salmon, we get it. You really love your plastic bags. You made your living for 25 years harvesting a healthy ocean and now you can't be bothered in the slightest to do anything to protect it. Precious.

Nobody ever said banning plastic bags would alone save the planet. It's just a common sense step in the right direction. Changing our policies so that grocery stores and restaurants gush out less plastic waste is a good thing and all this mental diarrhea can't spin it otherwise.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jun 18, 19 9:39 am     Reply with quote

lewmt wrote:

No kiting on Palmyra. It's understandable as the complications of medical treatment for an injury are really substantial...fly-out evac, probably 2+ day wait, etc. Really the wind isn't spectacular either. The upside is 3 months off to kite wherever!

you work for the Nature Conservancy?
looks like you are in flyfishing nirvana

is it still true "Even today only 200lb of fish or 3 fish in total are allowed to be taken for food for guests on the island for the ocean surrounding the atoll. The only fishing allowed inside the lagoon was catch and release fishing for bonefish."

http://www.flyodyssey.co.uk/Blog/fly-fishing-palmyra-atoll-a-gem-of-the-pacific/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lepOk5EE_c

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 18, 19 11:58 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
OK Salmon, we get it. You really love your plastic bags. You made your living for 25 years harvesting a healthy ocean and now you can't be bothered in the slightest to do anything to protect it. Precious.

Nobody ever said banning plastic bags would alone save the planet. It's just a common sense step in the right direction. Changing our policies so that grocery stores and restaurants gush out less plastic waste is a good thing and all this mental diarrhea can't spin it otherwise.

Still missing the point and defaulting back to an inefficient and ineffective solution.

What more that one source/study has found is that banning plastic bags is the wrong thing if you are interested in the highest impact solutions. In fact, banning plastic bags is a net loss when considering the current alternatives to plastic bags. We don't need to change our policies as much as users need to change their choices to drive change in plastic consumption. The article also correctly points out that focusing limited attention spans on real sources of plastic pollution will yield greater marginal change.

Read the article.

One of the worst things we are doing is focusing on "feel good" initiatives. Banning plastic bags makes a lot of sense until you start asking relevant questions. It is funny to see people piously pontificating on the merits of a plastic bag ban like they are some sort of Eco Warrior and then point how shallow and insignificant their knee jerk solution is in the greater scheme of things. THAT is diarrhea.

I will stop posting. I am glad that you at least partially get it.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jun 18, 19 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe people are forced to pontificate about the benefits because there are those in the vocal minority that oppose solutions simply for the sake of opposing them.

Same with CFL light bulbs, LED light bulbs, tougher insulation requirements, air bags, co2 taxes, styrofoam.

Banning things that have a negative impact on the planet ultimately affects positive changes. Those that point out that they dont cure ALL the ills are often the uniformed that say there is no problem.

Personally I think the entire US should just ban single use bags. Paper, plastic, all of them.

What do I know though, I am just an elitist 1% simpleton that peddles gateway drugs and says one thing and does another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 18, 19 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
We don't need to change our policies as much as users need to change their choices to drive change in plastic consumption..

I just don't think this is going to happen. You are spot on that like most Americans we all have a large carbon footprint. At the end of the day the vast majority of people when given a choice will do what is cheapest and most convenient, and this will lead us to inevitable environmental destruction. So like it or not restrictive policies are the only thing that is likely to evoke true change. I think we all agree plastic bag ban is not going to solve all our problems. But at least it's a start.

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostWed Jun 19, 19 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Definitely! Stacked up and dumb as rocks....only.... can't really fly-fish myself as much stealth & sneakery is necessary

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jun 19, 19 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

lewmt wrote:
Quote:

Definitely! Stacked up and dumb as rocks....only.... can't really fly-fish myself as much stealth & sneakery is necessary

Sorry to hijack this thread

So effing jealous- was fortunate to spend two weeks on an atoll in the tuamotus
My friend grew up and runs a pearl business out there

Insanely beautiful but you have to be on your game not to kill yourself surfing over razor reef and spearfishing with the shark army - kiting was tame cept failing off the foil the sharks would zip in to check you out

bonefish can be fun on ultralight spinning gear with small lead head feather - if you can gets your hands on one

bones.jpg 
   atoll.jpg 
   pearl diving.jpg 
   fp foil.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostWed Jun 19, 19 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

Great pictures! & Exactly! Feathered lead heads, even common spinners...dumb as rocks. Very easy to conceal an entire rig as well. Interesting to stand in the shallows with small Blacktips circling your feet, sometimes you have to kick em away

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 19, 19 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
So like it or not restrictive policies are the only thing that is likely to evoke true change. I think we all agree plastic bag ban is not going to solve all our problems. But at least it's a start.

OK ...lets start those restrictive policies with the banning ownership of all future domestic animals. The obscene amount of resources expended on domestic animals, their carbon foot print and the negative impact on wild life (cats alone kill millions of wild birds annually) is completely avoidable. You can keep any animals you have now IF you spay or neuter them. All pregnant animals must receive abortions. We can eliminate this impact in one generation of domestic animals.

It is better for the environment and will help reverse the direction we are going. saving the planet. "It is not going to solve all our problems. But at least it's a start. " Criteria met via necessary restrictive policies that " are the only thing that is likely to evoke true change."

Where does it start and where does it end? It is just plastic bags right?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 19, 19 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

awesome pictures Gman. Geeez that place is off the hook gorgeous!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 20, 19 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

+100. Incredible pics Gman! That looks like almost as much of an adventure as downwinding from Cottonwood to Camas... Wink

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jul 09, 19 9:48 am     Reply with quote

https://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2019/07/a-plastic-bag-shaming-plan-goes-hilariously-wrong-but-could-it-actually-be-unintentionally-genius.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: