Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Manzanita....
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 08, 19 7:25 am    Manzanita.... Reply with quote

It looks like it will be reasonable on sun, mon, tues? Looking for confirmation from regular goers... I’ll go anyway but i need to start learning more about using good forecasts coupled with at-the-beach time. Tuesday looks the best thus far.

Any insight?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 08, 19 8:37 am     Reply with quote

You read the forecasts correctly.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostSun Jun 09, 19 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
PZZ250-092330-
Coastal waters from Cape Shoalwater WA to Cascade Head OR out
10 NM-
853 AM PDT Sun Jun 9 2019

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR WINDS IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY
EVENING...

.REST OF TODAY...N wind 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Wind
waves N 4 ft at 6 seconds. W swell 2 ft at 9 seconds.
.TONIGHT...N wind 20 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt, easing to
15 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt after midnight. Wind waves N
5 ft at 6 seconds. W swell 3 ft at 11 seconds.
.MON...N wind 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt, rising to 20 to
25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves N 5 ft
at 6 seconds. W swell 4 ft at 10 seconds.

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSun Jun 09, 19 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

Lived in the gorge for 20 years and now have lived on the coast for the past year. What I’ve learned is that there is no good forecast. All of the forecasts are for a very large area of coast line. Much like the gorge, local topography and weather have a large effect on whether the wind will blow. Ft stevens may be cloudy and rainy while Manzanita will be sunny and windy. Here’s what I’ve learned so far. Much like the gorge, the wind on the coast follows the sun. Generally speaking, the further south you go, the sunnier it is and thus windy. It can blow at Ft Stevens, but Manzanita is your best bet. You want sun In Manzanita and a 10-15 degree difference between Manzanita and Portland. Manzanita also blows harder then any forecast or current conditions will tell you. As long as the wind is out of the Northwest, it’s sunny in Manzanita and there’s a 10-15 degree difference between the coast and Portland, then it’s probably windy in Manzanita. Further south you go, the better it gets. Ie florence and pistol river.

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 09, 19 8:33 pm    Manzo Reply with quote

Anyone kiting manzanita tomorrow from Portland and want to carpool?

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jun 10, 19 6:51 am     Reply with quote

Manzo can have more wind, but the waves are junk! Honestly, it is one of the worst wave spots on the coast. If Ft. Stevens is 50/50 forecast, it is worth it to go there instead. You could get skunked on wind, but you almost always get sunk/junk waves at Manzo.

Best bet is to play both spots against each other. If there is forecast to be good wind at Manzo, then just go to Ft. Stevens and ride 2m bigger kite.

If there is no forecast for wind on the north coast, and you have something against the Gorge, then you could wait around Manzo for a surprise session. But never go to Manzanita on purpose if there is a good forecast for wind somewhere else.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 10, 19 8:11 am     Reply with quote

i think of manzo as a moving skatepark, and its pretty sick for that and big wind. but ya, not a quality wave spot.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 10, 19 8:21 am     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
i think of manzo as a moving skatepark, and its pretty sick for that and big wind. but ya, not a quality wave spot.

Yeah, take Manzo for what it is, magical. No it isn't the best wave ridding spot, but the waters are super clear (blueish green), strong winds, superlative views and scenery.

It blows there earlier than up north and stronger too.

Spot on description OG had of Manzo. Sometimes some BIG waves and they usually close out quickly.

It isn't my favorite spot on the coast, but I still love it!

Variety is the spice of life!

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostMon Jun 10, 19 3:09 pm    Manzo Reply with quote

I concur with OG and Sasquatch - kited Manzanita yesterday and I was actually thinking of it as a moving skatepark - lotta terrain that pops-up; just gotta hit it.

coepilot

Since 13 Jul 2016
19 Posts

PostTue Jun 11, 19 7:24 am     Reply with quote

blowing hard off shore presently...gusty

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jun 11, 19 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

It rocked Sun, Mon and Tues. I rather enjoyed the place. Lots of crazy currents and waves. Good times! Thanks for all the info all.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 12, 19 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

If the offshore Columbia bouy is northerly and Nehalem valley (inside Manzanita) is sunny then it will go no matter the temp differential with Portland. Definitely a microclimate. Tuesday afternoon was 8m NNW but iKitesurf showed 4-19 avg 10 easterly in the morning. I throw out the low and it becomes 10-19 ENE at the Nehalem State Park boatramp which is a perfect microclimate to foil. In the winter when Rooster is 40 plus it’s usually 10-18 and around 50 degree water

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 13, 19 6:42 am     Reply with quote

Macgruber.... do you foil in the bay? It looked like a possible spot except for the stumps and crap submerged.

Nevo

PostThu Jun 13, 19 7:16 am     Reply with quote

Monday did have surprisingly good waves out at manzo. Tuesday was back to the traditional mess though. Still fun but don't expect the wave of your life there!

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostSun Jun 16, 19 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

Saturday was good 8m albeit gusty as usual..

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 16, 19 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Yes I foil south of the State Park boatramp. Nothing to hit except the sand on either side. The east side does have more of a sandbar that’s high and dry at low tide. I think it could make a decent teaching spot for a beginner in Nw winds and there’s gravel parking above it along 101. 100 yards north of the boatramp, there’s a large stump that’s almost always visible and a sandbar down the middle of the channel that’s a foot deep at low tide so I mostly stay south of the ramp

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Jun 16, 19 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

Nevo wrote:
Monday did have surprisingly good waves out at manzo. Tuesday was back to the traditional mess though. Still fun but don't expect the wave of your life there!

And definetly avoid introducing anyone to ocean kiting for their first time at Manzo. If it was not for a Canadian pulling me to the side and telling be to try out Ft. Stevens, I would have given up on the ocean all together after a few beatings at Manzo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: