Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tendonitis (revisited)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 28, 19 7:20 am    Tendonitis (revisited) Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I think I have medial epicondylitis, golfers elbow, from kiting that has been bothering me since last season. Worried it will get worse but I’m minimally effected at the moment. I want to keep kiting and start an exercise routine and want to avoid aggravating it as well as cure it if possible. I’m going to get professional help but also looking into alternative treatments.

I’d like to hear some of your experience!

This old thread on tendonitis mentions some of what worked for folks.
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-27767.html

PLatelet enriched plasma and alfalfa seemed interesting.

This article on eccentric movement of the muscle affected seemed really good too
Seems to be based on science although admittedly I didn’t check the references.

http://stevenlow.org/overcoming-tendonitis/

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue May 28, 19 8:27 am     Reply with quote

Try a little after session rub out. Laughing

I no longer have tennis elbow issues and looking back I was consuming alfalfa briefly but a masonry kite amigo recommended doing post session lateral epicondylitis exercises and that brought the most relief and strength over time.

Also, my older kites were rigged for heavy bar pressure plus my preference to over rig for the conditions did not help. Switched over to minimal pressure/feedback settings and haven't even thought about it for past 6 years when prior my right elbow felt like it was on fire after a long ride. Suarte.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 28, 19 10:54 am     Reply with quote

I had this and dealt with it a number of ways.
1. PT , ultra sound etc. Did not work
2. Surgery. Had them scrape the attachment point to generate blood flow That did not work
3. Massage. After 18 months i had a very good massues who treated my traps and actually got rid of the ailment in two sessions.
4. I also used this for a my tennis elbow on the other side, called the thera bar. This has worked for me and a number of other people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co

This is a quicker video to what you need to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKGbqA9aNo

You can get the thera bar on Amazon cheap.

Good luck.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue May 28, 19 10:56 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Speedo, the Steven Low article was helpful for a problem I am having in my right leg. It started up after a 5 day powder skiing binge this last winter.

The pain shoots up the outside of my ankle through the outside back corner of my knee and sometime up higher through the back of my thigh.

I'm having trouble figuring out what this tendon is called. Anything I do makes it worse, surfing, kiting, running...not sure about biking.

Any tips for recovery are appreciated..

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue May 28, 19 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

I have had several bouts of tennis elbow or "epicondylitis" in the last 15 to 20 years. At one points it was ridiculously painful to lift a tea cup and once went to see a orthopedic surgeon who is also a personal friend. He recommended a compression brace which I wore and had immediate relief from the pain while wearing it. After a couple of weeks of consistently wearing the brace, the issue would just disappear.
Every 2-5 years I would aggravate my elbow doing something like running a chainsaw all day and the issue would return. But, the compression brace would fix it after a couple of weeks of wearing it and I would be all good again.

It is very important to position the brace over the top of where the tendon attaches to the muscle and it creates a temporary new attachment for the muscle so the tendon can repair itself by not being used or stressed.

It is a super cheap and easy fix and would try it before anything invasive like surgery or expensive like multiple PT sessions. It worked great for me on multiple episodes and could work for you.

Annotation 2019-05-28 133207.png 

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 28, 19 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

I would second the therabar, compression strap and lighter bar pressure kites. Kineseotape is good too and helped me through a baja trip with a lot of consecutive days kiting.

TommyFliss

Since 30 Jul 2016
36 Posts
Hood River

PostTue May 28, 19 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, all. I'm a physical therapist at the MCMC Nichols Basin clinic down by the event site (Hood River). I treat this an awful lot and even did a free talk at the clinic on it last summer specifically for kiteboarders, and you're asking all the right questions.

The Steven Low article is all pretty sound science, if a little complicated. Eccentric exercise is extremely well supported for treatment of tendinopathy--although there exist several studies showing that slowly performed concentric and eccentric exercise works fine as well. You can certainly snag a Therabar, but a dumbbell is just as effective.

Ultrasound--nope, don't bother with it. We generally just don't use it anymore for lack of support in the literature.

One thing I want to add is that nerve irritation can masquerade as both medial and lateral epicondylitis. There are some pretty simple clinical tests we can do to sort out what's what, but they're not so simple to describe. What I recommend is first trying general eccentric exercises, decreasing bar pressure, and a compression strap. If your pain seems to be improving, that may be all you need. If the pain is stubbornly persisting, consider getting it checked out by a PT. I am very much opposed to playing hide the ball when it comes to information about the body--the more we give away, the healthier society will be, frankly--but this is one where a little personalized assessment can really be appropriate.

Wind Slither, your pain doesn't sound much like a tendon issue to me. It frankly sounds more like radicular pain/sciatica of some sort. A slump test and straight leg raise test might help clarify. You can YouTube those, but be careful. I'd be happy to do a free 15-minute consult at the office to hear more about it if it's still bothering you.

There are a lot of injuries in the gorge that are very treatable and require just a little guidance. I am always happy to put together presentations to address things like tendinopathy/tennis elbow as it's a way I feel I can contribute to the kiting community in the gorge. Feel free to shoot me a message if that's something any of you are interested in.

In other news, how 'bout that swell today?! The rollers by the White Salmon sandbar were glorious!

Tommy Fliss

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 29, 19 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Try a little after session rub out. Laughing

I was under the impression than this was an overuse injury and this form of treatment may not be optimal. Thanks Ken lol. I’ll try the excercises after a session. Getting the theraband twisting thing suggested by skideeppow

I appreciate all the responses! Just got the brace recommended by Windian and trying the alfalfa.

And it’s really great to see some real input from Tommy. Someone working in the field everyday helps a lot with so many issues. Too much internet and my eyes bleed and I get confused cause I don’t know who to believe. Certainly news to me that neuropathy can look like tendonitis.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed May 29, 19 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Speedo wrote:
And it’s really great to see some real input from Tommy. Someone working in the field everyday helps a lot with so many issues.

Agreed Speedo and this thread was loaded with great insight to help all when they begin to feel the twinge. Hopefully Slither does the drive east to come do some hood rat riding and take Tommy up on his offer because no man/woman left behind when it comes to scoring water time.

TommyFliss wrote:
In other news, how 'bout that swell today?! The rollers by the White Salmon sandbar were glorious!Tommy Fliss

So good Tommy and so fun. Today is already looking like another big roller free ride. Get it!

TommyFliss

Since 30 Jul 2016
36 Posts
Hood River

PostWed May 29, 19 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, radial nerve entrapment can happen at multiple sites and present super similarly to tennis elbow. On the other side, ulnar neuritis/cubital tunnel syndrome can present very similarly to golfer's elbow.

Tommy

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 01, 19 5:35 am     Reply with quote

I had this caused by ye’ ole Turbo’s (loved those kites otherwise). Tried PT. Nothing. Tried PRP, worked a little. Tried acupuncture...with electrodes. That WORKED! Damn hard to find acupuncturist trained to use it. (Regular acupuncture is a waste for resolution as I tried that too). Jeremy Jacks at meridian park in Tigard uses it. Josef Haber does it although he’s not consistently around. I combined it with exercises I found and got from PT.

It bugs me slightly every once in a while but that’s because I don’t stretch UNLESS it bugs me. But when I stretch it ( I stretch it during kite season) I’m golden. The best thing is I know if it gets bad it’s easily solvable.

I do stay away from kites with heavier bar pressure too. I don’t buy kites until I can test that as well. I “try” not to ride over-powered but I love doing it. It’s bugs me a little after an overpowered Rowena season.

Drop me a PM if you want more info.

Cheers, Amy

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSat Jun 01, 19 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

Absolutely great advice all around, what a thread for keeping on the water. Great links!!!

I’ve personally had several cases of devastating tendonitis in both my forearms and elbows over the years from windsurfing and kiting. To the point of having to shut it down for the season.

Working with both PTs and my osteopath to develop a strengthening regime has helped tremendously. As well as rolling out and massaging to increase blood flow.

One of the most effective things that I have learned to limit and/or eliminate a flare-up is simply to be conscious of my grip on the bar. I try to never grab or hold the bar using my thumbs. I’ve learned to ride with a “fingertip grip”, allowing the bar to loosely rest there without closing my fist. A shorter “throw” aids greatly with this technique.

Good luck on finding what works for you Ken. Happy Kiting

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 02, 19 7:02 am     Reply with quote

I would start with a compression strap which you can buy in any Rite aid for a couple of bucks. Put it on your forearm closer to your elbow. Tak started having a similar or same problem and he got the relief immediately ! I was wearing one several years ago and it took some time before I lost the symptoms. You might need to put it on for other heavier activity besides kiting. Rubbing the area with ice cube helps too. Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: