Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge wide clean up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 18, 19 12:48 pm    Gorge wide clean up Reply with quote

Why does it seemingly take an act of the gods to get a clean up going and done? This time of the year should there should be some kind of clean up at our favorite launch sites? I have attended a few but there is always more that can be done. Seems like the number of clean ups are around 1 or 2 per year. I tried to put one together at a eastern gorge site but the process seemed overwhelming, especially when the topic of insurance was brought up. What happened to the days of a bunch of good people getting together to make improvements that many would benefit from. I understand there is a process for everything but seems like some things have gotten out of hand? I’m probably missing something, just don’t understand.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 18, 19 3:11 pm    Yes !! Reply with quote

Love your energy !! Have you joined the Columbia River Gorge Wind sport association ?
https://cgw2.org/ Imagine what we can accomplish if we include kiters, wind surfers , SUPers , etc. !!!!

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun May 19, 19 10:38 pm    Re: Gorge wide clean up Reply with quote

It's an unfortunate reality of the state of liability laws in our country.
The CGKA had to pay for insurance specifically to protect the Board of Directors and any volunteers who participated or were involved with a beach clean up or improvment. No matter who the land owner is, if a different person, group or organization makes physical changes to that property and someone is injured as a result of that change or modification, that person, group or organization is then legally liable. Yes, it does suck, but yes, it is a reality.

This is why it would take so much red tape to cut through in negotiations to make any improvments via the CGKA or the CGWA at beach launches over the years.
Looking forward, I think that things will improve, it may take a little time, but the combining of efforts under one organization (the CGWWA) and with some charismatic charm and negotiations from Bart as the Exec Dir, things will continue to improve.

Please keep the faith and keep up the communications with the new CGWWA.
Rich, TJ and Adam are the most experienced of the new board in regards to kiteboarder needs, so you can also reach out to them individually as well.

honda1 wrote:
I tried to put one together at a eastern gorge site but the process seemed overwhelming, especially when the topic of insurance was brought up. What happened to the days of a bunch of good people getting together to make improvements that many would benefit from. I understand there is a process for everything but seems like some things have gotten out of hand? I’m probably missing something, just don’t understand.

www.Purestokesports.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 20, 19 10:52 am    Re: Gorge wide clean up Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
It's an unfortunate reality of the state of liability laws in our country.

One of the most memorable nights in Gorge history is that time when we all came together with our chainsaws and 4X4s to remove all the lahar driftwood from the sandbar. I remember looking out at the view from up on Cascade and seeing a dozen tribal fires burning late into the night with howling partying kiters. Guess this would not happen today.

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostMon May 20, 19 12:55 pm    Re: Gorge wide clean up Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the most memorable nights in Gorge history is that time when we all came together with our chainsaws and 4X4s to remove all the lahar driftwood from the sandbar. I remember looking out at the view from up on Cascade and seeing a dozen tribal fires burning late into the night with howling partying kiters. Guess this would not happen today.

Good recall Kip.
3rd image as seen from Cascade & 2nd st.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri May 24, 19 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

OmG I remember that night. Kramer and I passed out in a tent on the sandbar..they let us camp there!!

Good times. I also remember talking to a corps of engineers rep some time later about it and she said "we didn't know you were going to burn all the wood"

Lol...oops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: