Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting newbie looking for advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Askuznetsov

Since 28 Apr 2019
10 Posts

PostWed May 15, 19 8:18 am    Kiting newbie looking for advice Reply with quote

Hi guys... I’m new on this forum and new to kiteboarding in general.. I’ve taken about 5 lessons and I’m at a point where I can go down and upwind.. my last session was at Stevenson on the Columbia and I was able to come back upwind to the launch area. With that said.. I did manage to loose my board a few times... after a bunch of body drags I did recover it except for once when my instructor (JoeTheKiter... who is awesome btw) had to get it for me on his jet ski. This week I bought my self a brand new slingshot board, and kiting on the Columbia with a current concerns me with a potential risk of loosing a board. Has anyone used the Go-Joe board recovery system by ocean rodeo? If so... what’s your opinion and is it worth getting?? After reading horror stories about board leashes I’m definitely staying away from them. I feel comfortable recovering my board by body dragging upwind but do have concerns with the current in the Columbia taking my board faster then I can bodydrag. Any recommendations and advise is appreciated.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed May 15, 19 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Welcome to "the addiction" and to this forum.

Leashes are bad news. Head trauma and or brain surgery is thousands of times more expensive than a board.

I remember when I first started out as a kiter back in 2003. I was concerned for my kites and gear. That feeling has somewhat faded. . . If you continue with this sport yours probably will too.

That is not to say that I don't care what happens to my gear, I do. But I don't stress out about it as much. Sure I try and keep the gear as safe as possible from harm and or theft and wear-and-tear.

But the more sessions you get under your belt with your gear, the more amortized it will become.

All that said, there will be times when you can't case down your board. Usually when you drop your kite. But if you don't drop your kite, IMMEDIATELY start body-dragging for your board. This is especially important this time of year when the Columbia currents are hauling westward.

GET a Sharpie pen and place your name on all your gear--put it on both sides of your board.

As for the Go Pro, I've seen a few people using them. Probably the unofficial rep for this product is a dude on this forum that goes by Moto. Give him a PM and get his take on the GoPro.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed May 15, 19 10:35 am     Reply with quote

Around 2006, before we knew better, I had a leash bring my board back so hard it knocked me out. If it had hit me in the head, instead of square on the back, on the thick part of the life jacket, I wouldn’t be writing this. As it was, the life jacket made all the difference. It kept my face out of the water. It happened in a blink. I was stoved up and bruised for a weeks.

Got yarded downwind off the board. (Most common beginner event.). Leash stretched out, kite lit up again, more tension on the leash, board came home. Just forget the leash at the beginner stage. Google board leash injuries and check out the pictures.

Sure, kites have improved, but everybody makes flying mistakes.

Write your name, number and email, and “return for reward!” on your board in sharpie, in a few places. Every board I’ve lost in the river has made it home. Ask the nice person what they like to drink and buy a case. Cash works too.

I picked up a couple Go Joes at a swap for cheap. I use one on my twin tip. Works great. Turns the board up right and sails it downwind. Really cuts down on body dragging in the cold water. That said, at high water, fast current, now through mid June, it might not be enough to beat the current. But it’s better than nothing, and makes it easier for other kiters to spot your board and grab it for you. Don’t be the last guy up wind.

An twin tip straps down can go down the river pretty quick. Surfboards tend to go downwind, but stuck upside down they will also haul ass down river.

A lot of folks carry a spare kite leash or line to tether the board in the event of a kite mishap. If your lucky enough to have the board in hand when you need to self rescue. Dress for the long swim.

Askuznetsov

Since 28 Apr 2019
10 Posts

PostWed May 15, 19 11:50 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys.. I’ll definitely put all my info on the board and my gear... I’ll gladly reward someone in case of loosing it... hopefully it doesn’t come to that though Smile
I think I’ll get the Go-Joe as well since it aids in flipping the board upright and easier to spot...

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 15, 19 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

I think the GoJoe is a great idea, as well as anything else you have to do that helps you keep a cool head while on the water.

Everything in this thread about leashes is very true. You might see some people use them, maybe even really good people, but it doesn't make them a good idea.

Couple of other things you might try to help you regarding your board
- consider talking to others at the launch and let them know you are an 'FNG'. Some beaches are friendlier then others just like any other thing in life. I think you'll find that kiters look out for each other as they'd expect others to look out for them.
- Take some time before your sessions to practice upwind body dragging. Maybe use an easy to see target like a ball for practice. If you've made it back to your board body dragging a couple times successfully, you are probably really close. I think a little practice will clue you in to the difference in technique that you need to make.
- In some places there is an easy to identify channel that the water goes downriver faster in. Do what you have to do to understand where that is, and then try to stay out of it.
- Consider going to a launch with lots of beach. Sometimes if you cant catch up to your board, you can make a run into shore, then run upwind with your kite and get in front of your board.
- Community is king. Make friends, enjoy the sport, do unto others, bring beer, enjoy the life style.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed May 15, 19 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

OG wrote:

- Take some time before your sessions to practice upwind body dragging. Maybe use an easy to see target like a ball for practice. If you've made it back to your board body dragging a couple times successfully, you are probably really close. I think a little practice will clue you in to the difference in technique that you need to make.

do that one! spend an hour and you will be the body drag master!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

SV->HR

Since 18 Sep 2018
8 Posts
Hood River
Kook

PostWed May 15, 19 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

As a fellow noob(started kiting last summer) one bit of advice I received works well for board recovery.

When shit hits the fan and you lose your board, immediately start body-dragging upwind away from your board for a few, then tack back upwind toward where you lost your board. This usually gets me just upwind of my board in one tack. Sometime during all of that sheet in with the kite @ 12 to pull yourself up for a quick look around to spot your board. Don't try to drag yourself directly at your board, you'll probably never get there.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 15, 19 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
OG wrote:

do that one! spend an hour and you will be the body drag master!

To add to this...
The current pushes your board and you at the same velocity. So, as long as you are using proper technique the current is not a factor.

Where people usually have difficulties is when they put their kite at (or around) 12:00 (perhaps looking for their board). You will lose ground very quickly in fast current when you do this.

Knowing where your board is without having to put your kite up to 12:00 will result in much better success.

If you don't know where your board is you are usually better off body dragging long passes to make sure you get upwind of it. I use a technique of counting to keep track of my relative position. I count to 10 with my head down in the water while body dragging. I take another breath and count to ten. Pretty much if you do this three times one direction, then three times back you should easily be well above your board. Now put your kite up to 12:00 and look for your board directly down wind of you.

Last edited by bigjohn on Wed May 15, 19 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed May 15, 19 9:07 pm    . Reply with quote

Sounds like you should make a go-Joe out of plastic bags Twisted Evil

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 19, 19 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

But make it quick. Bags are made in China and will get more spendy soon. You know, TARIFFS !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: