Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

next round of tariffs
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed May 15, 19 10:04 am    next round of tariffs Reply with quote

read thru the may 2019 proposed additions:
https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/enforcement/301Investigations/May_2019_Proposed_Modification.pdf

way down the list:

6306.30.00 Sails of textile materials

9506.21.40 Sailboards
9506.21.80 Parts and accessories for sailboards
9506.29.00 Water-skis, surf boards, and other water sport equipment (o/than sailboards) and parts & accessories thereof nesoi

not sure if kites are other water sports equipement, since these seem to be board only related items. or if kites would be considered sails. I hope not on both fronts.

and also close to my heart, although most of my ski gear is not made in china
9506.11.20 Skis, cross-country snow-skis
9506.11.40 Skis, snow-skis (o/than cross-country)
9506.11.60 Parts and accessories (o/than poles) for snow-skis
9506.12.40 Bindings and parts & accessories thereof, for cross-country snow skis
9506.12.80 Bindings and parts & accessories thereof, for snow-skis (o/than cross-country)
9506.19.40 Cross country snow-ski equipment nesoi, and parts & accessories thereof nesoi
9506.19.80 Snow-ski (o/than cross country) equipment nesoi, and parts & accessories thereof nesoi

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed May 15, 19 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

I think there are a good number of kite companies that have moved away from production in China either for quality reasons or our sport just not being big enough of an industry for the factories to want to keep producing the goods at such small levels.

But.... can't say that this bodes well for anyone. Got a cel phone, laptop, or TV....?

www.Purestokesports.com

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed May 15, 19 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

or clothing or shoes or as far as i can tell, almost anything made in china. include such obscure items as:
6309.00.00 Worn clothing and other worn articles
6310.10.10 Used or new rags, scrap and worn out articles of twine, cordage, rope or cables, of wool or fine animal hair, sorted

6310.10.20 Used or new rags, scrap and worn out articles of twine, cordage, rope or cables, of textile materials nesoi, sorted
6310.90.10 Used or new rags, scrap and worn out articles of twine, cordage, rope or cables, of wool or fine animal hair, not sorted
6310.90.20 Used or new rags, scrap and worn out articles of twine, cordage, rope or cables, of textile materials nesoi, not sorted

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu May 16, 19 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Just as President Trump predicted, I am officially "tired of winning".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostThu May 16, 19 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Prepare for price increases across the board in our sports.

Some rates are increasing from 10% to a massive 25% tax and that begins immediately for containers already on the water.

These tariffs are a bad decision for the consumer and don't work. They only put more taxes in the hands of the government, increase prices and reduce the consumers choice.

Fight back

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu May 16, 19 11:33 am     Reply with quote

I'm pissed. Bought a kite a couple months ago and it was ~40% more than the same kite 2 years ago. The explanation I got was the increase was almost all due to the tariffs.

Will it be worth it?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu May 16, 19 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Here's some more info and a website for following how the tariff trends will affect our sports equipment costs into the future.

I correct my earlier comment. 2 of our kite brands are China and Taiwan based (I forgot that Taiwan is basically under Chinese import categorization). Our other kite brand and some other board manufacturers are now in Vietnam, Thailand and UAE.

Here is the website link :
https://outdoorindustry.org/article/oia-trade-alert-higher-costs-outdoor-products-will-come-today/

www.Purestokesports.com

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostThu May 16, 19 7:35 pm    local mfg. Reply with quote

I find it ironic given the amount of composites manufacturing in the Gorge that you would disregard the effects of Asian manufacturing on your own community. Just for a cheaper kite or board? Hopefully these tariffs do bring some manufacturing back to the US, where we have stronger environmental regulation and the dollars we spend benefit our community.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu May 16, 19 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

actually, i think you are right in that companies will leave china, but they will be leaving for Thailand and Vietnam, as well as Malaysia and Indonesia. Maybe a touch of south korea for some high tech. not to mention Bangladesh for sewn goods.

Some will come back to the US, likely high value items that can be produced profitably in the US, like skis, snowboards, surfboard, basically boards. But i expect anything textile based will stay in asia.

also, I seem to remember, while not as bad, raw textiles, as well as composite fabrics were on the list too. so if that carbon was made in china, it will still see a tariff, but that won't raise costs as much as if it was on the finished product. But if that fabric went to vietnam, then turned into a kite or board, then export to the US, no tariff.

but for skis, i'd expect china ski production would end up in eastern europe if it went anywhere.

i don't think you will see much movement out of china to the US, some, but most will be to other asian countries. and any movement of production has a cost, so price will go up no matter what, and in those cases there is no tariff either. a clear lose lose.

btw, i'm looking at this from a purely high volume low cost manufacturing point of view, pure capitalism.

j

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostThu May 16, 19 8:17 pm    good points Reply with quote

Thanks jasonq. You bring up some good points. I think it's going to be a mixture of a lot of unpredictable consequences. I personally am so sick of hearing about how these will "hurt" consumers. We consumers NEED to be hurt. We NEED to stop consuming so much stuff. Maybe this will incentivize people to buy a little less, even if it doesn't bring jobs home.

I actually think there are some companies who would like to bring their manufacturing back to the US but they just needed one final straw. Between increasing costs in Asia, QC issues, IP concerns, and problems with shipping (remember the port strikes?) this could do it. Sure they could just switch to another country, but if you're going to undertake the hassle of shifting production to another country, maybe they'll seize the opportunity to bring it home.

As you point out, the kiteboarding market is simply too small to benefit from the volumes of Asian mfg. anyway. And keep in mind that a carbon board of foil has maybe $20-$50 worth of raw material in it, most of the cost is labor. So taxing raw materials won't have nearly the impact of the finished good.

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 19, 19 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Boohoo. Complaining does nothing. So it's fine when the rest of the world has been abusing this country for decades ? At least this greatest president is doing something about it when his predecessors did diddly-squat . Is doing nothing a solution ? I am sure you guys know that when nations signed GATT in 1947 they wanted to keep helping the underdeveloped forever. You know, ITO, GATT and WTO and all what gave China, for example, the right to charge the US tariffs but not to be charged the same by the US. So what is the solution, Einsteins ?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 19, 19 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

I have 2 kids in their 20's - millennials.
They and none of their friends want to work in a factory sewing 8 hours a day or working with toxic materials.
However - they love designing, testing, filming, writing, marketing, traveling, etc.
Nobody aspires to work in a factory - if Asia wants those jobs - they can have them.
They'll be replaced by robots in another generation.
Let our children be the designers, engineers, robot builders, captains of clean energy, etc.

Trump is fighting for an industrial America of the 1950's and 1960's - those days are long gone.... the only way to support more manufacturing in America is to allow more immigration.... and throw out the welcome mat for industrial pollution.

Instead - America should become the world leader in clean energy technology. We should be designing and building the robots that build the e-cars, e-tractors, e-bikes, e-foils, batteries, solar, hydrogen.

Last edited by ldhr on Sun May 19, 19 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun May 19, 19 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
They and none of their friends want to work in a factory sewing 8 hours a day or working with toxic materials.
However - they love designing, testing, filming, writing, marketing, traveling, etc.
Nobody aspires to work in a factory - if Asia wants those jobs - they can have them.
Let our children be the designers, engineers, robot builders, captains of clean energy, etc.

Here, here!

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostMon May 20, 19 6:04 am    not everyone can afford to go to film school Reply with quote

Another bit of irony in todays WSJ. That's great your kids enjoy art but in general their generation is the worst off in terms of net worth and income than any generation in American history. For those kids who can't go to an expensive college to study english let alone finish high school, the jobs the we have off-shored could have helped them.

As a mechanical engineer I try to design things that can be manufactured in the US and work with companies who provide a good working environment and training to their employees. Not to mention actually have environmental regulation in place so the waste doesn't end up in the great pacific garbage patch. The attitude that we should just simply outsource all the necessary dirty work in this country is extremely entitled and caviller. The idea that robots will replace all manufacturing jobs is ignorant.

From the article:

"The disappearance of manufacturing jobs, which in postwar years paid middle-class wages to high-school graduates, is another misfortune. Those who lack a college degree are at the biggest risk of falling behind. Median household income last year was about $105,300 for millennials with a bachelor’s degree or higher, more than twice that of households headed by high-school graduates, according to the Pew Research Center."

If you have a wsj subscription: https://www.wsj.com/articles/playing-catch-up-in-the-game-of-life-millennials-approach-middle-age-in-crisis-11558290908

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 20, 19 10:46 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

That's a bit unrealistic unless we also have a large immigrant population a la Qatar. There will still be millions of blue collar jobs that your kids refuse to do, and no robot will every handle. Example: I retired as a bridge manager where I needed new-hires to get out onto the structure in the rain to remove pigeon nests. Even though my new-hires were starting out at near $24 per hour, these "millennials" or whatever we call them would look at me like I was crazy when I gave out job assignments. We've created a pampered spoiled culture. Your designing/testing/filming/writing/marketing/traveling children will always need a skilled blue collar person to fix their septic system etc.
Edit: Payday on Friday, Shit rolls downhill, and Don't bite your nails. Smile

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon May 20, 19 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 20, 19 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

That's a bit unrealistic unless we also have a large immigrant population a la Qatar. There will still be millions of blue collar jobs that your kids refuse to do, and no robot will every handle. Example: I retired as a bridge manager where I needed new-hires to get out onto the structure in the rain to remove pigeon nests. Even though my new-hires were starting out at near $24 per hour, these "millennials" or whatever we call them would look at me like I was crazy when I gave out job assignments. We've created a pampered spoiled culture. Your designing/testing/filming/writing/marketing/traveling children will always need a skilled blue collar person to fix their septic system etc.

This.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 02, 19 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

Guess what. Kids in China don’t want to work in factories either. Chinese companies have to ship people in from other countries or from way out in western China where there is still very little industry or implement automation. I know because I’ve been there and audited companies on quality that produced outdoor consumer products.

Btw the environmental regulations in China are not as loose as you might think. That is an outdated stereotype as far as I’m concerned. Particularly for companies producing high end outdoor retail products where the customer base cares about sustainability and nontoxic materials.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: