Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

switch feet or toeside?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon May 13, 19 3:24 pm    switch feet or toeside? Reply with quote

On my surfboard, I only make it for about 50-75% of my feet switches. Do most folks at the OR coast switch feet or just alternate between heelside/toeside? I don't like falling too much on the outside.

Should I keep working on my feet switch (90% success rate?) before doing more kiting at the coast? Should I just do more heelside/toeside? I have a harder time going upwind while toeside. Would a switch to strapless make my feet switches more successful? Advice?

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 13, 19 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

You gotta switch your feet or else you'll be stuck doing downwinders. Especially on the coast in the summer.

On a foil it's a different story though.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 14, 19 5:43 am     Reply with quote

When I was attempting my first foot-switches I rode with just the front footstrap, as for me it's being trapped in the back footstrap that creates problems.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 14, 19 7:33 am     Reply with quote

You are good to go NOW to the coast. Most of us at the coast switch just for pure efficiency and to give your favored back leg a break. The first few years I switched much less due to the fear of missing my foot switch in some intimidating conditions. Now I switch almost all the time because I hardly think about it. I know of peeps who never switch. I’ll never forget this guy I watched at Waddell who never switched. He was the best out there of 40+ peeps. He would launch these huge toeside jumps off the face of waves that to this day I still try to emulate with limited success. My preference is to try and stay balanced in my riding by switching feet and tricks both ways. But really, do what makes you happy. It’s kiting- have fun!!!

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue May 14, 19 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Individual style is one of the great things about kiteboarding. Whether you ride surfboards, twintips, wakeboards, foils, skimboards, alaias, longboards, snowboards, skis, body drags,or even lunch trays; there is opportunity to develop a unique style within each of the disciplines. Go with what feels good and fun! Your own style will shine through as you grow with the sport. Don't worry about what or how others are riding or doing while you are out having a good time. Have fun first and foremost!

Besides the style development if you are making 50% of your switch stances transitions, then just keep at it because the percentage of completion will go up with time. Being able to switch stance on a surfboard has some significant advantages with being able to add more options to jybing, tacking, reaching, transistions, tricks, and ways of riding waves.

Riding strapless will make it far easier to switch stance as you are not having to deal with getting in and out of straps or having them get in your way. I am not saying that straps are bad or wrong, it is just a different style and way of approaching the water terrain. If you want to huck giant airs and easily motor out through the surf, then straps are your calling. If you want to change up your riding stance easily and do tacks and tricks, then strapless is the way to go.

Very Happy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue May 14, 19 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Like Windian, I don't like it when people tell others how they should ride. However, not getting your switch foot jibes down when wave riding is really limiting. I see guys painfully trying to blast through big surf toe side or always settling for backside wave riding...it's just not good.

I'm in the same boat right now with my floating switch foot jibes on the foil. It's more fun right now for me to just go out and rip around goofy foot and/or do touch down jibes, but I'm on a mission to get real jibes down. Once you get 'em, you got 'em!

Falling in the ocean does suck though, so work on the jibes in warm flat water!

Thumb's Up

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 14, 19 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

My strong side is left foot forward - regular stance for a right-handed person.
Usually I gybe and switch stance on the inside and ride out thru the waves with right foot forward (goofy).

If it's big and rough and hard to get out - I might keep my left foot forward and ride out thru the break on toeside. Once I'm outside I switch feet to better get upwind.

IMO - it's best to have the option.... so it would be a good idea to practice your jibes.

BTW - I ride with one of these straps in the front - it makes gybing, riding toeside, and going upwind way easier.
I even put the strap on my foil boards - makes aerial footswitches a breeze.

https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=279&idcategory=107

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 14, 19 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

Nick's Strapless 101 is a big help. Look at 2:30 on this.
https://vimeo.com/13593102

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 09, 19 7:15 am     Reply with quote

Was riding at Lanes on a good day. Noticed Robbie Nash didn't do a single jibe all day long. Even heading back out to the line in double over foaming whitewater you can walk right up the face of it toeside. You definitely don't get as much rest on the back leg though...
Transcend Apparel http://www.transcendapparel.com/
Urban Surf http://www.urbansurf.com/
Alohabrothers Racing Oahu, HI

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 09, 19 8:54 am     Reply with quote

I mostly ride the north coast and I’m standard footed. I like to head out toe side about 50% of the time. If the waves are really big I can chicken gybe quickly to escape a beating, and it works well to quickly grab a wave down-the-line if they aren’t too organized. I can keep upwind now even if I never switch stance but I do switch to rest my right leg and to get far upwind. Especially Manzanita

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Jun 09, 19 9:08 am     Reply with quote

bustingbladder wrote:
Was riding at Lanes on a good day. Noticed Robbie Nash didn't do a single jibe all day long. Even heading back out to the line in double over foaming whitewater you can walk right up the face of it toeside. You definitely don't get as much rest on the back leg though...

Robbie must have been jibing or he would have ridden straight out to sea and never returned or he always tacked. I think what you mean is he never jibed where he switched his stance before or after the transition. If it were trade wind conditions Robbie being a goofy foot rider rode heel side out, then jibed and then rode toe side in, and then jibed, etc. If it was Kona winds, then he was riding out on his toe side.

Nevo

PostSun Jun 09, 19 3:01 pm    Re: switch feet or toeside? Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
On my surfboard, I only make it for about 50-75% of my feet switches. Do most folks at the OR coast switch feet or just alternate between heelside/toeside? I don't like falling too much on the outside.

Should I keep working on my feet switch (90% success rate?) before doing more kiting at the coast? Should I just do more heelside/toeside? I have a harder time going upwind while toeside. Would a switch to strapless make my feet switches more successful? Advice?

I would hate being out there without my foot switches down. It's not that you can't be successful doing that, or even that you should avoid the coast because you don't have that figured out, but it just feels limiting in my mind. I'd be riding out through the whitewater toeside which I'm sure you can get better at, but I would suck for a while.

I've never ridden with straps so I couldn't tell you that jibing is easier without them, but I would assume so. I would also assume riding through whitewater with straps is easier than without.

If you're really worried about the outside and losing your board, just do a controlled stop and switch. Sure, you might not have the "style" points locked in for that but if it helps you have more fun while you continue to develop your jibes then just go for it!

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Jun 09, 19 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

I've been going strapless in the Gorge several times since this initial post. Its definitely easier (for me) to switch feet on the strapless board. Lots of fun, too...

Tuesday, I will probably go to the coast. So now the question is...try the coast strapless or put the straps back on for the waves. Still haven't decided. Maybe try both?

Nevo

PostMon Jun 10, 19 8:16 am     Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
I've been going strapless in the Gorge several times since this initial post. Its definitely easier (for me) to switch feet on the strapless board. Lots of fun, too...

Tuesday, I will probably go to the coast. So now the question is...try the coast strapless or put the straps back on for the waves. Still haven't decided. Maybe try both?

I'll be there M-W. Maybe see you on the north coast?

If the waves are small I'd definitely recommend trying out strapless. If the waves are bigger, I'd still recommend it but just be ready to body drag for that board a bit!

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostMon Jun 10, 19 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

Much the same as the others above. I am regular foot (left forward) and I only ride waves in dominant stance. So if in the wave garden, zipping around, I don't switch. I only switch for long tacks back upwind -- even if you're expert toesider, you gain maybe 20% more efficiency being frontside.

I started out in straps, and did experience a problem in Maui with this approach though: once you change your feet, if you can't switch feet quickly in straps, and can't go downwind well wrong foot forward, then you can't quickly turn at unexpected moments when needed. Like chicken gybing a big set or avoiding kiters coming at you. A couple 'deer in the headlights' moments encouraged pursuing strapless.

Foil: I am 90% left foot forward only, the foil goes upwind so easy, can get away with not switching. But it really messes up your body, a lot of strain on muscles and tendons/ligaments etc when you are locked into one stance too long. So I am investing the time to get competent both ways.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 10, 19 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Agree with everyone that switching is an excellent skill to develop for versatility. I practice in the spring on SPI to work at getting quicker and more accurate. I go strapless there with a 5'7" and a 5'4" in the gorge with a front hook sometimes to help deal with chop or getting OP.

Lesson learned from strapless: make sure you have a tow loop on the board! I use a second kiteleash for cleaning up after oh-shit moments and used to hook it to the straps to keep the board from floating away (had an oh-shit moment with nothing to secure it to in current while resetting a kite issue).

Boring video for self-analysis: [youtube]https://youtu.be/1fafjmocFLk?t=70[/youtube].

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Jun 11, 19 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Heading up this afternoon...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: