Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

12 m for the gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Syotw

Since 28 Apr 2018
9 Posts

Kook

PostFri May 10, 19 8:34 pm    12 m for the gorge Reply with quote

Summary: 2nd season kiter who has only flown rallys (biggest kite currently a 10m) looking for 12m kite recommendations for after work gorge sessions. Thinking RPM or flite/turbine.

Hi All,
I've come to ask for some opinions. Last year was my first year kiting. I live in the gorge and have only kited in hood river and a spot east of hood river. I'm getting upwind fine, jumping fairly well, and really enjoying what has quickly become one of my favorite sports.
I'm 180lbs and have a 6, 8 and 10m rally between my wife and I. I have a day job so I often can't get out until after 5 when the wind is dying down. I often feel underpowered on my 10 and I'm looking to add a kite to my quiver that will help me enjoy after work session and gorge wind days when the 10 isn't enough. I'm not ready to jump on a foil either, maybe next year. I've been thinking about getting a RPM, flite or turbine 12m. The rpm looks cool because I want to try a new style of kite, but I worry that there isn't enough of a power difference between a 10m rally and the 12 RPM. I haven't had a chance to fly an RPM yet either which doesn't help either.
What do you think? RPM or flite/turbine 12m? If I don't get the RPM now Id probably just replace my 10 rally with an rpm once my 10 bites the dust, it's an older kite anyway.

jiberus

PostSat May 11, 19 6:27 am     Reply with quote

If you are wanting more power, the spread from a 10m rally to a 12m rpm might not be enough of a difference. Probably depends on the year, though. I have an 11m rally that is more powerful than my 12m rpm.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 11, 19 6:45 am    12M Rally Reply with quote

12m Rally is a great after work session saver . It has a better low end range than a 12m RPM . You will experience a difference between a 10RPM & 12Rally

I have a 10m RPM you can demo .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 11, 19 6:55 am    Turbine Reply with quote

Go with the 11 or 13 turbine. The rally isn't really a light wind dedicated kite. It can behave a little funky when winds get light. The turbine will stay up and perform well even in light winds. When kiting after 6, you never know when the gorge wind will abruptly shut down. Having a light wind kite like the turbine is almost a safety mechanism to get you back to shore when winds start dying. My two cents for what it's worth

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSat May 11, 19 7:27 am    12 m Reply with quote

I'm pushing 207 lbs and never use my 12 any more. I usually get to the event site around 4:45.
The big difference I found was going from a twin tip to directional. The surf board has more volume and less resistance.
What board are you riding?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat May 11, 19 7:51 am     Reply with quote

10m Rally has as much if not a bit more power and low end than a RPM 12m. If you want an RPM, then go with a 14m as a good step up from a 10m Rally.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 11, 19 8:19 am     Reply with quote

Do you love your Rally kites?
If yes - then get a 12m Rally.
If no - tell us what you don't like and we can better recommend. Do you want to rip a twin tip or transition to a surfboard and waves?
Turbines are a different breed - don't buy until you try.

Syotw

Since 28 Apr 2018
9 Posts

Kook

PostSun May 12, 19 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Do you love your Rally kites?
If yes - then get a 12m Rally.
If no - tell us what you don't like and we can better recommend. Do you want to rip a twin tip or transition to a surfboard and waves?
Turbines are a different breed - don't buy until you try.

Thank you everyone! All of this is very helpful.
Good to know about the RPM, looks like it may not be what I'm looking for to fit this niche.
I'm riding a twin tip, I picked up a 5'7 squad surfboard recently that I'm looking forward to trying out. And I'm really looking forward to getting to the ocean this summer, but will still primarily kite in the gorge. Sounds like the directional board should make the 10m rally feel a little better in lighter conditions.
Also good to know about the turbine, how would you say it performs differently than the rally? Does anyone know of somebody in the gorge that demos the turbine by chance? And would you say that the Flite has pretty much the same characteristics as the turbine?
As for the rally, probably my favorite thing about it is the long floaty boosts. The easy relaunch ability is nice too but I'm (fortunately) not needing that as much these days, but relaunch ability would be nice on a kite I'm using for lighter wind. I'm happy to try a different kite, especially if it can get me more time on the water.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 13, 19 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like you want a 12m Flite, super boosting kite.

I would stay away from a 12m RPM unless you are full time wakestyle as older 12m RPMs had a tendency to fall out of the sky under 13 knots (dunno if newer ones are better but probably not, it's a pretty heavy kite).

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 13, 19 12:24 pm    Rally and turbine Reply with quote

I own a 12 rally and 15 turbine. The turbine is a more aggressive rally. They have very similar flying characteristics and turning speed. The turbine is higher aspect and is more floaty than the rally, it's lighter and always stays forward so it's rare for it to drop out of the sky, has a constant tug to it that can wear out your core if you're not ready. Strong bar pressure and minimal depower. Every time i ride it, it's a great workout. Almost feels like a boxing match. The rally is more forgiving but can fly overhead and slack more compared to the turbine. In my opinion, for light winds, you want something that's light, stays forward, and doesn't slack. That's the turbine.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon May 13, 19 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

A.Benjamin's turbine description vs. Rally is spot on. I have the 15 Turbine, which will stay aloft in nothing but do demo it.

Syotw, factoring your weight, take up JonPNW's demo offer for the Rally 12M and see if a 13M Turbine is also possible. Could give ideal perspective in your hunt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: