Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Strapless Foil water starts for TALL guys
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 12, 19 9:31 am     Reply with quote

I guess the question is not why that little Chinese guy chose to go the easier way of foiling after realizing he can't learn the twin tip trick after trying it for 10 years but rather why is the guy who made this posting initially not having any feelings in his leg?

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostSun May 12, 19 9:38 am    FISHERMAN!!! Reply with quote

Hey fisherman why don’t you go suck a nut I’m Japanese not Chinese you stupid fuck!!!

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 12, 19 9:41 am     Reply with quote

You guys look all the same to me. And unlike you I have a college degree.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 12, 19 9:49 am     Reply with quote

fisherman wrote:
You guys look all the same to me. And unlike you I have a college degree.

HA!! Love it!! I can't wait for my next Stevenson day. "HEY!" "Chinese Guy!! BOOOOOOSTT.... you eff'n Rookie!"

Smile

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSun May 12, 19 3:27 pm    ... Reply with quote

so do you make "stuff" or "TV's and Cameras"?

The World to Americans.gif 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon May 13, 19 5:29 am     Reply with quote

Anyway....

Thanks for tips. Day three hookless and with small board and 633 it’s really easy to get going without staying scrunched up. Hooks are sold.

Eric

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 14, 19 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

Necessity being the mother of invention, I finally learned to go strapless! Smile Two days ago I broke my foil board, yesterday I broke my backup foil board. Yeah, I've got the luck... Anyways, a couple of days ago I had bought a insertless Kanaha Shapes board for future use. With no other board available, today became the future. Third try I was up! Smile "Just Do It" apparently is the right answer...

I REALLY liked the KS board; so nice not to have hooks in the way.

However, God Damn that board is hard to body drag too! My apologies for other threads where I posted that people should learn to body drag. I have never had an issue dragging to any other board. This board, up on it's side, I could make no headway to.

Shocked Sad

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 15, 19 5:50 am     Reply with quote

Nak,
I too have the KS 42 and the 633/483/91 combo, and have at times struggled with the setup leaving the scene travelling oddly up-wind. It's like a bad twintip day, or worse yet... you crash your kite and spend 4-8 minutes with a re-launch in which case you need a jet ski to recover your board. (I'm occasionally on foil kites, Souls, and have needed rescue from this).
For me it's a trade-off since strapless waterstarts are much easier on a setup that doesn't sink fast like others.
The solution is to take your Onda/91 Moses mast and get Jim to send you his big wing & fuselage that he has adapted to the Onda. I have this now and unlike the 633 it will sink and then the board follows or passes you wandering down-wind. It still has the desired big-wing lift riding ease of the 633.

Oh the Humanity! 1st World Problems.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 15, 19 6:33 am     Reply with quote

There are some advantages to set ups that float:

1. You mostly avoid watching your rig rocket, or drift into your lines post crash

2. You avoid the same into your head when trying new whatever moves

3. Water starts are just so, so easy

Trade offs....

Eric

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Sep 15, 19 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

However, God Damn that board is hard to body drag too! My apologies for other threads where I posted that people should learn to body drag. I have never had an issue dragging to any other board. This board, up on it's side, I could make no headway to.

Shocked Sad

Hmmmm Maybe a GoJoe will help........ lolololol Laughing Laughing

www.naishkites.com

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 15, 19 10:12 am     Reply with quote

I definitely agree that with the 633 and pocket board combo you often find your board way upwind and end up body dragging like a twin tip rider. I've found body dragging technique needs to be different. With the small kite you use for foiling on a surf wing you just don't have the power to make any headway with traditional body dragging technique using your body as a keel to angle yourself upwind. So what I do instead is just put the kite at 12, let the bar out and swim with kicks and armstrokes. It's a bit awkward since the kite and harness limits your position, but with a sliding hook I can usually do a reasonable one arm side stroke and get to my board pretty quickly.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 15, 19 11:48 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
the question is...

...where the hell can order that bumper sticker??

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 15, 19 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I should mention that the 633 is my small wing... I was out on my medium wing. (790) Very Happy

Never had a problem dragging to a twin tip, but obviously a bigger kite for the same wind. I really do like the board laying on it's side; it makes it so easy to water start. User124, yeah, the wind was very light for my 9m; I wasn't even hardly moving using traditional body drag technique. Next time out I'm going to try back stroking...

Mark, that is a GREAT idea. Very Happy Maybe an CO2 inflatable Go Joe that inflates automatically if the board is on it's side in the water for 10 minutes... Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: