Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Strapless Foil water starts for TALL guys
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu May 09, 19 7:13 am    Strapless Foil water starts for TALL guys Reply with quote

I have done them many times, but end up putting my front hook back on because at 6'4" with a lower back that does not like to scrunch up I end up being annoyed without the front hook, and sometimes with a sore back. The only thing I use the hook for is a water start, after which I kinds wish it was not there.

So, any tall foilers out there who can line me out on getting up without becoming little ball first?

Thanks,
Eric

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 09, 19 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Even though I'm not particularly tall at 5'10" I too have kept a hook in the past with the soul use of the waterstart.
Aren't you on the floaty Moses 633 setup? Once I use that foil, on both my Doyle and the Kanaha Shapes my need for a hook diminished because the board & foil float into perfect position themselves, lay on their side and simply wait for me to place my feet.
I will still screw on a hook occasionally when I'm nervous about other elements of the upcoming session (like solo light winds on a beach in Mexico surrounded by shear cliffs).

Video of 633 floating and waiting on it's side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rXSE1U0ho

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 09, 19 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Another option is to attach a piece of webbing as a handle using the back most front foot mounts or front most back foot mounts. It doesn't get in your feet's way very much and you can use it to keep the board in position during water starts.

Personally I have a big floaty wing so I don't really need anything but it's just so much nicer and easier to have a single foot hook to hold the board in place before you dive the kite. With my setup the front hook is actually in my way so I opted for the rear hook in the rear most holes and I'm really happy with it. Basically after I'm up and riding the foil I don't even notice the rear hook is there.

I also always want a leash point on my foil so I just put a loop of old kite line under the hook screws.

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 09, 19 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

Try levering your board up on its side, off to your side, while floating upright next to it. I lever the board by grabbing the far rail, pressing my forearm against the board with elbow toward the near rail, then pull the far rail up and toward you while pushing the near rail down and away with your elbow. This is a lot easier with carbon foils and thin boards.

Start with the nose pointed upwind and slightly toward you, or downwind and slightly away from you. As a right-handed-regular-footer, I find it easiest to start with the board to my left, nose upwind to go left (port tack), or nose downwind to go right (starboard).

Once you get the board on its side, you can let go of the board, and use the kite to pull you toward the board, feet first (or away from the board if you're too close, then toward it). This might be easier to just show you next time we're both at the Event Site.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu May 09, 19 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

^^^
Deal!

Thanks much
Eric

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri May 10, 19 6:20 am    The strap idea.. Reply with quote

I did this a few months ago. I have no sensation feeling in my left leg, knowing when the board is on my foot is difficult if I'm not looking at it or there is enough pressure to feel it in my hip. I added a grab strap to get started.

FB_IMG_1557497738309.jpg 
   FB_IMG_1557497746864.jpg 
   FB_IMG_1557497758956.jpg 
   FB_IMG_1557497769108.jpg 

www.freeridekiting.com

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostFri May 10, 19 9:11 am     Reply with quote

That strap on the board thing above me is a really good idea. I'm 6'1 and just push on the tail of the board real tough and get it underwater. The nose pops up and I dive the kite while getting my feet up on there. It works real nice. But I am not a pro foiler. I've heard that getting a buoyant front wings helps too.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri May 10, 19 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

OK, I'm not buying any of this. It's scientifically impossible to waterstart strapless. Boosting strapless is impossible too. I've done thorough research; it's just not possible. It really bugs me that you guys pretending to ride strapless won't share the secret of the hidden bindings I know you're using. Some kind of velcro transplant on the bottom of your feet is my guess. Oooh, maybe you have strong magnets implanted in your feet? That's it, isn't it?

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostSat May 11, 19 5:33 am    Shhhhhhhhh Mike!!!! Reply with quote

Mike please don’t let out all of our secrets or else everyone will be boosting and riding strapless like the PDX foil army hahaha!!! But man them magnets kick ass...

B67D25B2-7158-4617-99B4-76D931E7CD77.jpeg 
   9D4236CC-B5B9-4DA2-B44B-36EAFD431D49.jpeg 
   C9412FD5-25A3-4FDB-96F9-5FA251E723A6.jpeg 

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 11, 19 6:20 am    TALL ! Reply with quote

Tak ! The topic was about TALL guys and strapless water starting . Wave

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

snowycreek

Since 01 Dec 2009
38 Posts
Hood River

PostSat May 11, 19 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Hey Eric, Sounds like you are exactly where I was with the strapless waterstarts about a month ago. I have now, ahem,"mastered" them. I am 6' 1" and not flexible enough to put both feet on the board and still hold it in place with my free hand. So, if that is your situation, here is my take on it:

It is much easier with a very low volume board and a light/floaty foil as you can put the board in place and you have some time before the mast goes vertical.

If you have a heavier foil and/or floaty board, you need to put the board in position, mast horizontal, front foot on the board. I also favor to positon nose a little off the wind. Before letting go of the board to put the other foot on the board you need to send the kite at the PERFECT time so that you can let go and put your back foot on the board at the EXACT time that you are getting some pull from the kite and before the foil goes vertical.

And, take the hook off. It is impossible to learn it with a hook on the board. The temptation to use it "just a little" is irresistable.

The technique with a low volume board and light foil is exactly the same without the capitalization. You have a lot bigger window of opportunity.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat May 11, 19 11:53 am     Reply with quote

^^^

Yes, and thanks. I hate being in a little ball. Lower back no bueno like that. Pulling the hook now...

Thanks,
Eric

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostSat May 11, 19 12:37 pm    SHORT!!! Reply with quote

Oh oops I forgot I’m not tall and don’t ride strapless sorry bro wrong pics!!!
Maybe these are a little better haha. Oh and as for water starts JUST DO IT... Laughing

0A4B95A8-7A6E-4157-8078-CF2A41CD85DA.png 
   7152B74B-6B41-4135-B950-ABF3A9C4648C.png 
   F24765FB-B26C-4E82-8B8F-F53B0C59440B.png 

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 11, 19 12:50 pm    Blow Out ? Reply with quote

Tak ! When are you going to do the blow out on your foil ? Shut the haters up , once and for all . 🤙🏽 #straplessfoilflikepdxtak

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat May 11, 19 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

ahem... finally saw this on my ride north out of Baja after hearing about it all season. Somewhere around the San Luis Gonzaga cutoff

https://www.venturedsome.com/2019/04/baja-backcountry-moto-camp-kite/

No one cares if you foil!!
 No one cares if you foil!!  nociyf.JPG 

www.freeridekiting.com

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat May 11, 19 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

Pulled the foot hook today. Brainless easy on the 633 wing to water start.

Anybody need some hooks?

Noe I just have to figure out why I lost my 180 heel to toe tacks that I had down last season...

Two steps forward....

Eric

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 12, 19 8:29 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:

Now I just have to figure out why I lost my 180 heel to toe tacks that I had down last season...

Two steps forward....

Eric

Help me with this. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: