Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Shipping Option for Board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 06, 19 8:23 pm    Shipping Option for Board? Reply with quote

I'm sure it's been asked here before. Is it feasible to ship a 5' 6" directional to Toronto, Canada? Or should I find another buyer local? Seems crazy after a quick Fedex search.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 07, 19 7:48 am     Reply with quote

As a Canadian living in Vancouver I typically get things sent to an address in Washington, just South of the border then bring it back myself. By doing this I avoid the outrageous brokerage fees charged by UPS or Fedex when they ship internationally. These fees are in addition to the 17% duties that seem the be the norm for kiteboarding gear, and are paid by the receiving party at pickup. Brokerage fees alone can easily be about 20% of the cost, they seem to be arbitrarily assigned. By picking up shipments in the States sometimes the Canadian border guard will wave me through without paying duty on the equipment, despite me telling him them the exact cost I paid for it.

I know that Toronto is a fairly long drive from the US, but it may still be worth the buyer getting it shipped to a parcel receiving place in, Niagara Falls NY or Buffalo, to save on shipping costs, brokerage fees if applicable, and possibly duty. Despite the crappy exchange rate, the long drive and all these potential costs it's still way cheaper for the buyer in Toronto to go through this hassle.

Good luck!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 07, 19 8:31 am     Reply with quote

Thanks. That answers this question. Screw it.

ericvs

Since 05 Jul 2008
133 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 07, 19 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

if the buyer covers the shipping then it is a no brainer.

If they expect you to pay, then bail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: