Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Government cove launch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Apr 30, 19 4:53 am    Government cove launch? Reply with quote

On FB I saw that there was a cleanup at government cove (cascade locks). It mentioned a kite launch ‘on the peninsula.’ Anyone have any info on this? Maybe this would be a good alternative to Stevenson launch?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Apr 30, 19 7:11 am    Re: Government cove launch? Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
On FB I saw that there was a cleanup at government cove (cascade locks). It mentioned a kite launch ‘on the peninsula.’ Anyone have any info on this? Maybe this would be a good alternative to Stevenson launch?

Not sure about Government Cove proper, but there is a Cascades Locks launch very close. I can't recall when it was constructed, maybe 8 years ago? I don't think it gets much use?

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-27737.html&highlight=blackberry

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 30, 19 8:36 am     Reply with quote

CGWA volunteers led by Admiral Bart attacked the creeping blackberrys, winning back a good size chunk of rocky beach. The crew escaped with minor scratches from the tangle with the bush.

The kite launch on the peninsula was totally overgrown, and we concentrated on the main launch site at the east end of the cove. IMHO, it’s a more viable launch than the kite launch.

There are blue and white signs saying Blackberry beach at the intersection of forest lane and at the parking area.

There is a good gravel road, and spacious gravel parking area. You’d be pumping in gravel. The port built an access of tiered rr ties steps down to a rocky beach. The launch would be similar to Stevenson. Kiter down the hill in the water, among the slippery rocks, and assist up the hill holding the kite. In a westerly breeze, the downwind hazards are ugly. Easterlies, not much better. Not beginner friendly.

The area is secluded and what traffic and signs of use I saw were either from fisherman or sketchier folks looking for privacy to party. I wouldn’t want to leave my rig unattended and be out of sight on the water. But I’m usually solo.

It’s worth a ride to check it out. I’d love to hear some other opinions or experiences.

That said, I’d pick Stevenson for a number of reasons. I live on the WA side. Stevenson has nice facilities, grass, parking in plain view, safety in numbers. I know I’ll find a launch and catch most days.

And, they call it blackberry beach for good reason. Lots of prickly bushes. The thought of slow leaks and pinhole repairs pretty much crosses it off my list.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 30, 19 8:50 am     Reply with quote

Blackberry beach is a hard spot to self launch and land. Dangerous hard.
It's not an easy launch and it's not a pleasant place to hang out.
And it will require constant maintenance to keep the blackberry brambles under control.
It was used the first year it was created.... but for these reasons it fell out of favor and quickly became overgrown.
I guess if you're coming from PDX and you figure out a way to self launch and land it would be ok......

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 30, 19 9:34 am    Blackberry Beach Reply with quote

Here it is...scouted out several spots along this side. IMHO very sketchy all around.

The next exit to the East by Herman Creek has a lot more potential but hard to tell with high water levels. A couple of spits look interesting but also there are several dilapidated pilings that would be a concern. Lots of room but needs some $ to develop it's potential.

Mc

2019-04-30_10-25-52.png 
   2019-04-30_10-26-16.png 
   2019-04-30_10-26-30.png 

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostTue Apr 30, 19 9:37 am     Reply with quote

Those downwind rocks look extra soft. Very Happy Razz

Thanks for scouting things out. Always fun and nice to think of the potential of what things could become.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 30, 19 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

The huge blackberry patch in the second picture was removed Saturday. But, yeah, it’s not for the faint of heart.

It would work better for windsurfing, but I’d still choose Bob’s beach for the amenities.

jakeq

Since 03 May 2019
1 Posts

PostFri May 03, 19 1:45 am     Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
Here it is...scouted out several spots along this side. IMHO very sketchy all around.

The next exit to the East by Herman Creek has a lot more potential but hard to tell with high water 192.168.0.1 levels. A couple of spits look interesting but also there are several dilapidated pilings that would be a concern. Lots of room but needs some $ to develop it's potential.

Mc

It's a hard spot but has a lot more potential

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostFri May 03, 19 7:09 am     Reply with quote

That is not where the previous kite launch area was located. It is about 300 yards West down the trail. It's definitely more user friendly than that but still not great IMO, Lots of weeds in summer and not possible to self launch or land, I have attempted to self launch from the cove in the pictures and WOULD NOT even use that area with an assistant.
The plus side of the area is that it is a quick drive from Hood River.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: