Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Board Rescue Lanyard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 23, 19 12:28 pm    Board Rescue Lanyard? Reply with quote

I'm starting to explore very very light wind foiling conditions and I've been thinking of rigging a "purse" or something onto my harness somewhere for storage of a board rescue lanyard for when the wind disappears and I need to swim.
Any ideas? How long is best? Photos of your creations?
Kip

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostTue Apr 23, 19 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

I wear a double leash both with those carabiners. I try to self rescue first straddling the board then if swimming is necessary either lay on it or hookup the secondary leash around the foot hooks.

(most boards have leash type attachment or you could screw in a loop on it somewhere in an insert of course) I have seen some have like a rope on the rear of the board to aide strapless starts. All else fails you can rope the foil.

Its still a struggle dragging everything!

A swim is rare foiling but did happen twice last year. I never go out in ultralight conditions without a lifejacket helps ALOT. thinking of getting those shin fin things they might also help.

One time i was on a huge lake and got stuck on one side about 3 miles from the rv i ended up stashing the gear and used a kayak to retrieve it. leashed the kite to the board and leashed the foil to the kayak and hauled it back after a nice walk to the rv.

a few years ago at the gorge i pushed foiling til dark and used one leash to fully wrap up the kite and attach it to the board its a tough call to make but i was at the far north end of the sand bar in the dark hoping i wouldn't get swept away in the shipping lane. made it but it wasn't easy.

Dragging a kite is alot of resistance add a foil and your not going anywhere if there is current or even a fart of wind. either pack it all down or hope for a puff. having extra leashes helps pack things up. packing it up is the hard call and full commitment to the swim.

One last lesson i learned is never try to swim without fully wrapping your bar for self rescue. it may seem like a good idea to just start paddling and dragging but you can get tangled in the lines so severely it can just about drown you.

This only applies to glassy absolute full cutoff of wind. if there is even the slightest puff you can usually get on foil and limp back to shore or wait it out. just give yourself time so its not dark.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Apr 23, 19 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4sKnHmjSRs

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 23, 19 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

I picked up a couple of those Oceanus reel leashes, used, at the last swap. It’s not too terribly bulky or heavy. Hung it on the back handle strap on my nitrous shorts and don’t really notice it. It gives me 9-10’ of webbing with a clip at the end. Spring tension keeps it reeled in, nice and neat. Two for $20.

I put a rope loop on my boards and foil boards so I can clip the leash on.

Not suggesting riding with the leash, but just something to keep the foil or board from getting away while I deal with a kite that won’t fly or some other disaster.

It’s that time of the year to renew the name and phone number on your boards. Fast runoff currents are coming. I write, “return for rewards!” and contact info.

So far, every board I’ve lost has made it home.

At least the foils tend to go downwind, but they can go downwind pretty quick.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 23, 19 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Normally I carry a second kite leash to hold my TT or surfboard while dealing with kite issues. Worked OK until last August when I was playing with strapless and foot hooks and forgot to put a rope loop into the board...

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 23, 19 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

Google "kayak tow line" for a variety of tow ropes that come in compact fanny packs. A good one will even have a quick release.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 24, 19 6:11 am     Reply with quote

I made a 15' leash out of kite line, a heavy rubber band and two small carabiners. It takes up almost no room in a pocket, and if I have to swim, it's there. The rubber band is between one end of the line and one carabiner. If something does go wrong, the rubber band will break under load, rather than slingshotting the board at my head...

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 24, 19 11:35 am     Reply with quote

I always wear a short leash attached to my kite and a handle pass leash on the other side attached from back to front side so it doesn't drag too much.

I use the long leash to leash up my foil as soon as my kite goes in the water otherwise I might never see it again.

Once I have to swim in I clip the longer leash to my kite pump attachment.

You can see a big swim here (with surfboard though but same diff):

Link

Jump to rescue here (time part of embeded URL doesn't seem
to work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YP28xYlQ3E&t=255

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 24, 19 1:09 pm    Re: Board Rescue Lanyard? Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
I'm starting to explore very very light wind foiling conditions and I've been thinking of rigging a "purse" or something onto my harness somewhere for storage of a board rescue lanyard for when the wind disappears and I need to swim.
Any ideas? How long is best? Photos of your creations?
Kip

I made one for you about two years ago that was just about as minimalist as possible. It was two small carabiners (you could eliminate one of them), a small neoprene pouch that I repuropsed and a line similar to bridal line. It was incredibly simple. Then you decided you did not want a leash.

WTH?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 24, 19 8:33 pm    Re: Board Rescue Lanyard? Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:

WTH?

It tangled with everything. I'll look at it again.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 25, 19 6:49 am    Re: Board Rescue Lanyard? Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
SalmonSlayer wrote:

WTH?

It tangled with everything. I'll look at it again.

That will be no different than any small compact leash that is a line in the water. A line that has a lot of buoyancy may be marginally more effective at avoiding tangles

A reel leash will not be slack in the water so it will tend not to hang up on foil parts, but the reel is too bulky. A smaller reel the size of a small tape measure with small line that automatically recoils so there is no slack line in the water may be a happy medium. I dont think one exist, but it would just have to be long enough to keep you from kicking the board when self rescuing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: