Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New to RPMs. What should I know? Learn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostThu Apr 18, 19 2:39 pm    New to RPMs. What should I know? Learn? Reply with quote

I'm going into year 3 of kiting this June and finally got my first new kite. It's a 2018 9m Slingshot RPM for Gorge and Maui.

Before this I've almost always flown either my 2016 9m or 2017 12m Rally. I also have a 7m Core Free but only a handful of days on it.

What does someone going from a Rally shaped kite to an RPM style need to know? I've heard they turn faster and don't jump as easily as a Rally (I think) but still don't really know what to expect. What do I need to watch out for with this new kite shape?

Also, any suggestions on progression with an RPM? I can do solid front/back rolls, down loop transitions at landing, boosts but not a lot else. I wanted an RPM for looping. What things does an RPM make easier to learn?

Thanks in advance, appreciate the community here.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostThu Apr 18, 19 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

Pound for pound RPMs are not as powerful of a kite as Rallys. Your will fly your new RPM 9m in the same wind range as an 8m Rally. So you need to recalibrate your wind ranges for RPMs coming from Rallys. I have had quivers of both RPMs and Rallys so this is all coming from hours and years of experience flying the two styles of kites (12m Rally = 14m RPM,
9m Rally=10m RPM) and so on.

RPMs are pivotal turning kites and Rallys are arc turning kites so Rallys stay really powered all the way thru a full turn when transitioning or wave riding while a RPM will temporary dump power during a pivot turn, then light back up.

For upwinding the Rally cannot be matched by an RPM.

For drifting the kite I have never had any problems getting Rallys to drift and prefer them to RPMs for coastal wave riding which is where I do 95% of my riding. Other people say the opposite so I think that is personal preference and a lot on proper technique on how to get a kite to drift correctly. Getting a kite to drift right is an advanced skill that is developed by a rider and not something that necessary comes with just turning downwind and expecting the kite to behave by drifting accordingly.

Good luck with your RPMs, they are great all around kites and do most things quite well.

Smile

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 18, 19 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't flow a RPM newer than 2016 or so so things might have changed but here's my take.

RPM is the best powered looping kite I've ever powered looped. Super smooth and predictable pull throughout the loop. This is the defining characteristic of this kite for me.

RPM is heavy and does not handle lulls well at all, 10m would fall out of the sky as soon as it got near 10 knots.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Apr 18, 19 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
Pound for pound RPMs are not as powerful of a kite as Rallys. Your will fly your new RPM 9m in the same wind range as an 8m Rally. So you need to recalibrate your wind ranges for RPMs coming from Rallys. I have had quivers of both RPMs and Rallys so this is all coming from hours and years of experience flying the two styles of kites (12m Rally = 14m RPM,
9m Rally=10m RPM) and so on.

RPMs are pivotal turning kites and Rallys are arc turning kites so Rallys stay really powered all the way thru a full turn when transitioning or wave riding while a RPM will temporary dump power during a pivot turn, then light back up.

For drifting the kite I have never had any problems getting Rallys to drift and prefer them to RPMs for coastal wave riding which is where I do 95% of my riding. Other people say the opposite so I think that is personal preference and a lot on proper technique on how to get a kite to drift correctly. Getting a kite to drift right is an advanced skill that is developed by a rider and not something that necessary comes with just turning downwind and expecting the kite to behave by drifting accordingly.

Good luck with your RPMs, they are great all around kites and do most things quite well.

Smile

Great sumation of both kites WIndian. What are you riding these days?

FlightMac, there is some good info for you; run with it, just don't over-think it too much. "Trust the force, Luke." And trust your own skills too.

Have fun with your new ride!

Last edited by Sasquatch on Fri Apr 19, 19 7:00 am; edited 3 times in total

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Apr 18, 19 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

Agree on the previously mentioned sizing. Your Rally will feel more powerful to same sized RPM. But you are getting the RPM to learn to loop so this is a valid purchase as the RPM is widely regarded as one of the best for looping.

And it is considered great at looping because it turns fast - significantly faster than a Rally. There are a few surf riders who appreciate the faster turns of the RPM to the upwind ability of the Rally.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 18, 19 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

On a twin tip or a surfboard I prefer the RPM 10m and smaller and the Rally in 12m. Turbines for 15m and bigger. As mentioned earlier, the RPM has less low end, so in a bigger kite I like the Rally. I fly the 12m Rally up to 23-24 mph, and the 10m and smaller Rpm 20 mph and up. So the "falling out of the sky" thing is not a factor. I like the way the RPM handles gusts better. On occasion others get off the water in high/gusty winds complaining about the gusts and I barely even notice them. I find the RPM more "explosive" with power when you send it, as opposed to a steadier pull with the rally. Under powered the rally goes upwind better, but over powered I think the RPM does--at least for me it works out that way.

Damn it. I switched to SSTs and Naish Boxers for foiling, and now you have me missing the RPM. Sad

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 19, 19 6:43 am     Reply with quote

I love my RPMs (fly 6/8/10/12m) switched from Rally couple years ago (although i still fly my 2016 9m Rally from time to time), main difference for me is how predictable and stable the RPM is, part of it is the muscle memory for sure, but with RPM i just know exactly what the kite is doing and where it is all the time. It allows me to land some sketchy jumps more easily. I also enjoy that it has less bar pressure (i heard conflicting opinions on that, but my experience is definitely less pressure than Rally) since i get an elbow pain after long session with a high bar pressure kites.

Initially i was not able to jump with the RPM after switching from Rally, but that was mostly because my load & pop sucked and while Rally wouldn't care and would just pick me up, RPM refused to do the same. That said once i figured that out and since then all of my highest jumps are on the RPMs.

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostFri Apr 19, 19 11:26 am     Reply with quote

Awesome info all around, can’t wait for my first session. This weekend!

Thanks everyone

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Apr 19, 19 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:

Agree!

Windian wrote:

For drifting the kite I have never had any problems getting Rallys to drift
Disagree! Laughing

I'm sure Windian can drift most kites, garbage bag, beach umbrella...

i find the RPM shines 4.5 to 10m in the surf. That said take it to the beach and work on drifting it, or gorge swell where u sail straight at the kite, practice sailing switch foot, sail one handed, sail with your less dominant hand, work on jumps, have fun! - you will crush it when you go back to maui

Cheers!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 19, 19 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

Well, if you take the right size out for the conditions you will notice that it is a kite and it will fly well and you will get used to it really quickly and then many hours later you will have it dialed. It will do some things you like more and some things you don’t like as much. Kites are a very personal thing based on feelings. Go fly the f*cker and come back and tell us what you think. I mean, after all, it’s just a kite, it will pull you around. Just wait till you want to know about boards....! Shocked

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 23, 19 9:09 am     Reply with quote

I’ve always wanted to demo the RPM. Can they be flown off of most 4 line bars; more specifically Core or Ozone?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 23, 19 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Yea but you’ll probably need to get pigtails to reverse the kookproof connections front to rear.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 23, 19 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostTue Apr 23, 19 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

Alright, I took the crinkly new RPM 9 out in HR son Saturday. It was my first session of the year and the water was cold so I didn’t push my limits at all given the time of year.

That being said I had a blast playing around with it. It was awesome to be on a new kite and helped bring me back to the progression mindset. The wind was solid on Sat and it was not crowded at all on the water.

I will say it wasn’t as different as I thought it might be at first. As knotwindy said, it’s still a kite! I didn’t feel like I had to spend a ton of time getting used to it.

The biggest thing I noticed, and loved, was how quick it pulled around on down loops. My rally made much wider loops and took longer. I loved watching the RPM swing thru the loop smoothly. That was very noticeable to me.

There were times when my rally would have held onto power when the RPM started to “sputter” out and I had to work the kite to get power going again. This really only showed up when the wind started to dying a bit. That was in line with what others had told me.

Jumping felt mostly normal, but hang time felt a little different. On the other hand, controlling the kite in the air and how fast it moved side to side was better on the rpm.

Playing on this kite kept me on the water all day until I could no longer fly it (dying wind). I love that feeling of it wanting to stop!

I left HR already looking forward to my next session to keep learning about this kites and kiting in general.

Thanks everyone!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 24, 19 6:12 am    The NewRPM Demo Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
I’ve always wanted to demo the RPM. Can they be flown off of most 4 line bars; more specifically Core or Ozone?

Hit me up for a demo in Hood River . I currently have a 8,10 & 14 . I will be adding more sizes once a couple more of my 2018 sell .

Jon

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: