Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

secret spot
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 17, 19 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

I like building trails. Would the Discovery Center really be open to kiters parking there and hiking?

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 17, 19 5:53 pm     Reply with quote

Rowena is a great spot no two ways about it. We need to figure out a way to create softer space for kite launching and landing. That grass area that we cleared is great for getting things ready to go but landing and landing there on those slick rocks is still sketchy. Scotty self launches there all the time and I think that's cray!

I think we can work with ODOT and Wasco County to make things happen at Secret Spot. I will be appointed to City of The Dalles Planning Commission May 1 so we have someone on the team in that department. Secret spot is outside city limits but who knows if a development like that will make its way to the city table somehow. CGW2, I just joined and sorry for the delay, has a lot of pull so let's make it happen. It would help out the water community and The Dalles immensely if we could dial in that stretch of river and make three legitimate points of access. Worst case two top tier access points that work for all sport on both sides of the river.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Apr 18, 19 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Helpful information Cody and so stoked to hear you're on the planning commission! Thumb's Up

Singlemalt wrote:
I like building trails. Would the Discovery Center really be open to kiters parking there and hiking?

It's about 1/3 mile hike in...downhill.....but a park like setting. Truly amazing potential where the Riverfront Park trail and the whole Discovery Center meet. Footprint is beautiful, small pond, tons of parking. Never in use. I've walked it a few times just to get a better idea of concept and it would be a fairly simple build....except for the railroad crossing. That will take a village but the timing is right for discussions to become serious because the Gorge housing crisis has The Dalles exploding with growth so we're finally seeing a caliber of new residents (Mostly HR transplants / Insitu / Google) that like to rally for something that will benefit the entire community, not just water users.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 18, 19 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

I’m planning on doing the Viento work party Saturday morning. It’ll be a good time to talk to Bart about improving access.

9 am, I think, and hot dogs for lunch. I’m curious to see how much indigo has regrown since last spring’s cleanup. We cleared a ton of that stuff.

It’s the same stuff that lines the bank at Bingen.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 18, 19 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

The advantage of the traintracks cutting through the hill between the highway and river gives an advantage of already having high ground on both sides of the tracks.
This allows for a cheaper and easier approach for making a footbridge crossing project possible.
Just an FYI to carry forward in future discussions.

Very stoked to have Bart and Cody carrying these discussions forward.
Change is good and the CGWWA has stepped up to the plate to play ball.
Looking forward to seeing these guys knock some homeruns outta the park Wink

Singlemalt wrote:
I've walked it a few times just to get a better idea of concept and it would be a fairly simple build....except for the railroad crossing.

www.Purestokesports.com

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Apr 19, 19 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up

dougadams

Since 01 Jul 2008
119 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Apr 25, 19 8:33 am     Reply with quote

For me, I think it's a good thing. I was feeling like life was too good to be true anyway. AND, I want my life to be controlled, I want ODOT to make decisions in the name of my safety. Thank goodness someone is watching out for us all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: