Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Early Bird Event Site Parking passes on sale!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostMon Apr 01, 19 3:30 pm    Early Bird Event Site Parking passes on sale! Reply with quote

On sale through May 22nd, bummer they keep going up in price!

https://portofhoodriver.com/waterfront-recreation/purchase-event-site-parking-passes/

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 01, 19 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

Just bought. $100 seems reasonable. Or I guess it is for me as I park there a lot to kite.

Thanks for the head's up!

Eric

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 01, 19 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

For me that works out to .75 cents per day.
I can live with that.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostMon Apr 01, 19 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

.75 cents a day, that's awesome. I live in Bend and don't park as often as you guys but still worth it to me.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Apr 01, 19 10:21 pm    What a joy to be able to have such a playground. Reply with quote

Are you f*cking kidding me. $100 bucks for the season of parking to be able to access such a wonderful playground.

News flash winers; wind is FREE, the parking lot needs maintenance, laws mowed, bathrooms stocked with TP and cleaned, garbage cans emptied, employees paid--I'm positive I'm failing to list many other expenses the Port incurs.

The more you go, the cheaper the pass is. . .

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 02, 19 4:39 am     Reply with quote

I will say this, however. The Port needs to continue to make parking and access available during "Events" scheduled for the "Event Site." As parking passes hit the $100 mark, I think the primary "Event" has become access for pass holders.

I am not saying that events should not be booked. Rather, when doing so, there must be a way to park, and get on the water.

Thanks,
Eric

PS I will be passing this along to The Port, whom I have found to be very receptive to suggestions, and constructive dialogue.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 02, 19 7:14 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I will say this, however. The Port needs to continue to make parking and access available during "Events" scheduled for the "Event Site." As parking passes hit the $100 mark, I think the primary "Event" has become access for pass holders.

The pass includes the overflow dirt parking lot across the street and worst case you can always walk down to the sandbar. That being said - almost every Event allowed people to pump up on the far east end.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 02, 19 9:33 am    Parking fees at event site Reply with quote

I have a few questions for the port.

When will the event site’s newly installed parking fee collection machines be activated?

Will the event site be going to year round paid parking?

What happens to the kid in the box?

Up until now, the paid parking or event site parking pass has only been in effect from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It seems like, after investing almost a quarter million dollars in parking systems, the port has big plans for future revenue.

Will my season pass be a year round pass? Sometimes I end up commuting to Portland and car pooling. It a good meeting place for car pooling.

How long until the marina and spit go to paid parking?

I buy the discounted pass. It’s not that big a deal and it supports our interests. (And if it is now a year round pass, what a deal, only $.36 a day!)

Anybody know?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 02, 19 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt - you can contact them -> waterfront@portofhoodriver.com

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 02, 19 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

I checked the web site for news, and the Hood River paper.

Let’s not spoil the surprise...

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostWed Apr 03, 19 9:13 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Just bought. $100 seems reasonable. Or I guess it is for me as I park there a lot to kite.

Thanks for the head's up!

Eric

I don't disagree, but it's 33% more than last year, which was $75 pre-season and $100 regular if memory serves me (both seem to have gone up by $25, making regular season increase 25%)

I think the price is fine, but I have to say that this can't continue forever. 25% YoY increases is pretty steep, and the Port just implemented paid parking across the board on all it's Waterfront parking, so in theory more revenue should be coming in already (net effect is they just pushed everyone to the free city parking in front of the Waterfront businesses, making that a sh*t show when it used to be relaxed and awesome - so much for small town feel).

Again - reasonable fee - but give an inch and they will take a mile I think might be the operative phrase of the day here - I don't see this as stopping anytime soon. Do we see another $25 increase next year? The year after that?

I realize the Port operates and provides a lot of great services, and these have to be supported, and I am happy to do so, I just also don't like seeing such steep increases (and despite the raging success the Port thinks the paid waterfront parking was last year, I don't agree, it sucks for locals who can no longer easily park in front of businesses or the park)

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 03, 19 9:51 am     Reply with quote

I just read through all the Port’s parking info.

You’ll find a table of rates for the various areas. The rate for the event site, and Luhr Jensen, is $1.75/hr, when the ticket booth is closed. 9 am to 8pm. Eight hour limit.

Obviously, this hasn’t happened yet. But the new machines have been installed, and will soon be unveiled. (They’ll take the black plastic off!)

It’s still early for the tourist season, so I’m sure we’ll get updates soon. Or a ticket. Things are changing.

I’m worried for the kid in the box. Did he just get downsized by tech? Can he be retrained?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 03, 19 10:04 am     Reply with quote

The automated ticket machines inside the ES parking area are supposed to be for winter parking - for people who take the ski bus to Meadows and people who park in the lot to avoid the on-street parking meters.
When they announced the concept - no mention was made regarding summer use.

If they allowed hourly parking in the ES lot in summertime it would be a shit show of tourists coming and going to check out the scene and parking for a "few" minutes.
For this reason - I don't think they will be used for summer parking.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 03, 19 10:46 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
For this reason - I don't think they will be used for summer parking.

Sooner or later someone will come up with a reason to try this in peak summer months.
The grass space is already getting worse and worse for kite "parking" as it is and this will make it a nightmare.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 04, 19 10:12 am    Pass Reply with quote

I went to port office today. You can not pay and pick up your pass yet. They don't have them. No ETA.
How about a launch fee . That would cut the crowd down. Very Happy

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Apr 04, 19 10:34 am    Re: Pass Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
I went to port office today. You can not pay and pick up your pass yet. They don't have them. No ETA.
How about a launch fee . That would cut the crowd down. Very Happy

Gulp....launch fee......don't even bring up that insanity....but didn't your hear that Morrison Park has tons of free parking in the plans as we pave paradise and make it the new windsurfing hook launch! Oh wait....or was that for high density HUD housing? I always get those riverfront scenarios confused. Shocked

Thanks for the beta and saving me a trip to the Port office today. Thumb's Up

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 04, 19 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

We just had our first Waterfront Rec Committee meeting this morning.

Here is what we know regarding parking at the Event Site.
Event Site Pass:
- $100 until May24th (after that the price goes up to $125)
*Event Site preseason purchase is only available via online purchase and cannot be purchased via walk in at the Port Offices. Go to : https://portofhoodriver.com/waterfront-recreation/purchase-event-site-parking-passes/
- If Event Site is full, then the lot C1 will be opened for pass holders use

- Event Site Permit is also good for use at Jensen Launch site

- Event Site Permit is expected to eventually modify into an annual year-round parking pass as metered parking becomes more established year-round. When this will begin is not yet decided.

- ALL parking along the entire waterfront area will be permit or paid parking as of this Spring. With exception to these always free locations - Hook, Spit and Marina.

- Animal Control officer will be attempting to visit the Event Site when possible to do what they can to help alleviate off-leash dog issues (this will be only 'when' possible).
Any off-leash dog (or dog owner) issues are to be reported to Hood River Animal Control (not the Port)
*Side Note - The new Dog Park will hopefully be under construction this Spring to give local dog owners a place for their pets, other than the Event Site and Spit.

- Rob our ever reliable and even keeled Port Representative on the grounds will be retiring, so his loss will be a reason for us all to step up and help self manage ourselves in regards to safe and sane kite launching/landing.

- John and Sharon Chao will be returning in June as our ever present and patience Event Site Hosts and situation mitigators. Always remember to say "Hello" and "Thank you" when you see these folks this summer, they do a fantastic job of keeping the peace for us.

- Hood River Sherrifs Water Patrol Officer Curtis will be on active water patrol duty on weekends and peak season days. His patrol territory is between Bonneville and The Dalles, so his presence will be widely spread/shared along a long stretch of river.

- Highwater launch access for kiters at the Event Site will run until May23rd, at which time the Port representatives will evaluate if there is a need for a launch access timeline extension, or if there is enough available sandbar for launching and landing.

SIDE NOTE #2 - For you early risers, the Sandbar Cafe hired a breakfast crew and will be opening at 7am for you dawn patrol missionaries. I don't know about you, but that has me stoked!!!

Your local CGKA Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: