Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fukuoka, Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 13, 19 12:59 pm    Fukuoka, Japan Reply with quote

Anyone have any intel on kiteboarding Fukuoka? I've got a 48 hour layover there right by a beach... Next to the Sea Hawk Stadium if that means anything.

Thanks!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 14, 19 6:47 am     Reply with quote

Isn't that where they had the nuclear disaster when the tsunami hit?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Mar 14, 19 7:11 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
Isn't that where they had the nuclear disaster when the tsunami hit?

Other end of island. Fukuoka is just south of Hiroshima. Fukushima is north of Toyko.

Easy Fuking mistake....

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 14, 19 8:02 am     Reply with quote

I searched hard on the internet and this spot info is all I could find: http://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/kyushu___momochi The picture is NOT of the spot. The red pin on the map is Momochi, which is right by where I'm staying. According to that Page, April is the best month. So that's good. (My layover is in April.)

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Mar 15, 19 10:00 am     Reply with quote

I would check to see if Temira or Adam LaPierre have any knowledge.
Both are windjunkies who lived for a time over in Japan and might have info to share.

www.Purestokesports.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 15, 19 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

OK, I thought I'd post my experience in Fukuoka here in case anyone in the future does a search. I tried Momochi beach, as it was a two minute walk from my hotel. http://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/kyushu___momochi I've updated that spot page...

Anyways, not so good and impossible on light winds. due to terrain the wind is considerably worse than is reported at nearby stations, including the airport. Both the city sensor and the airport reported pretty steady 12 mph, which would have been perfect for me on my foil. Actual wind at the beach averaged 8 mph half the time with long--5 minutes or more--lulls down to 5 mph. Given that the beaches for launching/landing are relatively small, I didn't dare risk leaving my little beach. As it turned out I got one reach in, about a minute of riding. Then my kite fell out of the sky and I drifted in to shore. LOL. Oh well, at least I rode in Japan, a new notch on the belt. If the wind was stronger, which it rarely is it seems, you might get away with riding this spot. Still, I'd guess the wind would be squirrely as hell. Regardless, the wind needs to be NW - N - NNE for this spot to work at all.

A better choice if you're going to be stuck in Fukuoka would be this spot: http://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/kyushu___shikanoshima That's a much bigger beach and it looks like the wind quality would be much, much better. Probably an all day adventure to get there and back...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: