Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kauai Foiling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostThu Feb 14, 19 4:38 pm    Kauai Foiling? Reply with quote

Going to be there the last week of February, staying at Wailua Bay. Does anyone know if Wailua (or any other spots) would be reasonably good for someone who is in the early foiling stages? Will definitely be bringing a surfboard, but don't want to lug the foil stuff for no reason. Any general Kauai kite advice would be welcome as well. Thanks!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Feb 14, 19 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

Advice on Kauai:

1) Rent a car.
Each side of the island is different. For such a small island it is a kick sight seeing. A plethora of things to see/enjoy.

2) Sunny... then rains a lot... Then all of a sudden it's sunny again. While kiting you can see the weather systems coming in. Picks up for a while then drops off. Just come to shore and wait for the wind to pick up again. 15 minutes later you are back on the water.

3) Not many kiters / foilers. There is a reasonable probability you will be kiting by yourself.

4) People do foil, but there is a lot of shallow reef in the area you are staying. My recommendation is to make friendly with the locals and find out where the shallow spots are.

5) Be aware of the River flows (rip currents)

6) Wind direction makes all the difference of where to kite. for that side of the island I would watch the lihue meter on ikitesurf. Keep an eye on the wind direction "degrees". This will make or break your session. I don't remember exactly, but seems like less than around 30 degrees was unkiteable.

7) Goes without saying but be nice to the locals... whether kiting or driving. Rush hour traffic around Wailua can be terrible yet the locals still always let you in. One car on the highway, One car on the intercepting road... Everybody gets their turn. It seemed to me that the tourists (you could tell because they were all driving rental jeeps or dodge caravans) were the only one who were occasionally rude.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu Feb 14, 19 9:18 pm     Reply with quote

I had a great time at a spot known for surfing and snorkeling on the North shore. The reef is tricky if you don't know it well. I always felt like it was shallower than it actually was. I wouldn't have wanted a foil. Definitely make friends with the locals. I offered to help carry their beer cooler from their car and we were instant friends. They shared some great local knowledge and their beer.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostFri Feb 15, 19 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, all!

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostFri Feb 15, 19 2:32 pm    foiling Kauai Reply with quote

I have not foiled on Kauai. I heard Salt Pond might be the place or have a short mast. Here is more info on Kauai. http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-31620.html

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Feb 15, 19 9:42 pm    Re: foiling Kauai Reply with quote

wood wrote:
I have not foiled on Kauai. I heard Salt Pond might be the place or have a short mast. Here is more info on Kauai. http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-31620.html

I have not kited at Salt Pond, however on a site-seeing trip I was amazed how windy it was there. Winds on Kauai are usually from the NE direction so Salt Pond would tend to be an offshore wind.

Wind was light at Lihue when I left (NE direction). When we dropped into the dry south side of Kauai you could see many white caps on the ocean.

My guess is the dry heat from Kauai's South/East side terrain generates low pressure which adds to the trade winds generating additional wind velocity.

But, once again it's an off shore wind... If/when things go bad you are getting blown out to sea.

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostSun Feb 17, 19 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

We have kited Kauai a few times with varying luck (not so windy there). I may need some correction but is Waluia bay also called Kitchens? You drive by the campground go under the wooden play structure/ pedestrian bridge and launch there? If this is where you are talking about it would work well as there is a long beach with good downwind places to ditch if the wind dies out on you. This spot what ever its called would be the best spot IMO.
I saw people foiling out of Kappa as we were leaving Sad . So cant speak to it first hand.
Anini beach is my wife's favorite but may be too shallow to foil in? may want to check this out because its a cool spot regardless.
Tunnels is awesome best wind I found there but probably not for beginner foiling as the name implies small tunnel through reef. And I doubt the road is put back from last year.
We go to Kauai at least once a year to visit friends, you can hit him up for local advice he is not a kiter but has friends that are. He also runs Kayak / Hobie bike tours and would give you kayak support if you wanted some possible help, Scott NANIKAI.COM
My daughter learned to surf on a break right in front of Club Lava Lava, while sipped beach booze!
Anyways have fun it is a great spot for adventure kiting or not.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostMon Feb 18, 19 10:03 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Taking the foil seems worthwhile.

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Feb 18, 19 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

kitchens is at the very south end of lydgate park and is the bomb when windy however like anani reef is shallow. . Best and only foiling on Kauai due to reefs is Waimea river mouth. Have fun!

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Feb 26, 19 11:11 am     Reply with quote

I am over here on Kauai right now, got here in the middle of February. It has been a strange year for weather according to the locals with lots of rain, cold air temps and very strong winds at times. However, it has been relatively sunny and pleasant since my wife and I have arrived, but little if any wind. Might be windy enough today with supposedly a building cycle of north to northeast winds. I will definitely be on it if the wind comes up today, Kitchens will be the spot that I will be hanging out at and keeping my fingers crossed for a lucky go out. Maybe see you there.

The road beyond Hanalei that goes out to Tunnels and Na Pali coast is still closed from the flooding and debris flows from last April. Only people allowed out there are residents that live off the road, and it is very strictly enforced by National Guard where you have to have documentation to be in the couple times a day caravans that are piloted through the road construction. No opening dates have been set at this time. I am sure there are some local kiters that live out there that are soloing Tunnels and thinking they live in a ghost town. Wouldn't necessary call them lucky as they are living with a major inconvenience with road access, and many own homes that have been severely damaged.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostTue Feb 26, 19 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Windian - Does Kitchens look foilable?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Feb 26, 19 11:43 pm     Reply with quote

Got lucky and kited Kitchens with a 12m kite and a strapless surfboard today. Good steady NNE wind and small, but messy waves. Eventually it got goofy when a rain squall came through and turned the wind too northerly in the late afternoon.

Yes, it is foilable as one of the local guys was out there killing it on an 8m kite and a Moses 633 foil with a 91cm mast. Seems like a long mast for the conditions, but he made it work just fine. Only myself and 3 local kiters shared the place today, seems like Kauai has a very small group of core kiters and most spots are very quiet and uncrowded. Local crew all agreed that this island is difficult to score good kiting on a regular basis and definitely does not have the the regularity of Maui in terms of wind consistency.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostFri Mar 01, 19 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

I'm here and work obligations are done. Shoot me a pm if you're heading out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: