Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

hey, Cut the Crap here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Feb 24, 19 7:52 am    hey, Cut the Crap here Reply with quote

As I look out my window this morning in Lyle, woken up by the sound of snowplows on Feb 24th, I realize there just will NOT be any sandbars available anywhere on the Columbia for watersports enthusiasts (let alone kiters) until what maybe August? If you enjoy crawling all over each other, with your $3000 GEAR, dragged off the top of your $120000 Sprinter van, at the only safe launches (maybe 3 or 4) along a 100 mile stretch of river, fine. You're gonna get what you're asking for. Without enough money to do improvements that will benefit all user groups this spring, in a short window of time,( Bart negotiated 2 weekends only from Wa, state parks, for Doug's improvements alone). It's gonna take expensive heavy equipment and alot of dedicated manpower to pull it off.
As far as the proposed increase in boat fees on navigable interstate waters, if it leads to more, better, safer, with sanitary facilities and PARKING, access points to the river, I'm going to purchase those tags for my 8'6 SUP, 5'8 kiteboard, 7'11 windsurfer. and smile as I want to be part of the solution, and role up my sleaves and get to work. Someone please post this on ALL the other user group forums, you know who I mean. It's already taken me 2 hours to peck this out and I gotta go shovel my driveway for the umteenth time (never before in Feb in 37 yrs here) and ski down the street to the quickly disappearing Lyle sandbar and set a track! Thx, Inflictor Out

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Feb 24, 19 9:22 am    Fear and panic, two worst ways to die. Reply with quote

Yeah, like paying more fees will do something. Those suckers will either steal it or waste it on their pet projects and do ABSOLUTELY nothing for us. And I wouldn't worry anyway for Global Warming is coming. This winter is just an occasional hick up.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Feb 24, 19 9:56 am     Reply with quote

License for a board?
Portlandia out of control!
Time for everybody east of rooster to secede?
Join idaho?

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Feb 24, 19 11:28 am    oops Reply with quote

Sorry, Didn't want to start a peeing match here, just wanna see more safe access for all, no one owns the river, we just all wanna get to it with a smile!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Feb 24, 19 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

The "best bang for you buck" is to put in the time and money yourself by volunteering and getting involved in non-profit organizations.

Second best is the private sector that will return up to 90% of your investment, and charge you only 10%.

The absolute worst is to put your money into a government lottery ticket for your boards. You can't win enough to recoup even half of what everybody puts in. And even if the govt covers their administration costs, enforcement costs, planning costs, actual development costs, and costs of operation, you don't know if that development will go towards kite launches at all. It could all be used for the first 5 years for kayak or tubing launches. Maybe in 10 years they will finally be operating in the black well enough to form a committee to look into increasing the softness of the toilet paper in the women's restroom at the event site. And that motion will be denied as there will be a statewide budget shortfall that requires the state to put excess funding above cost, into the general fund.

But there is also a "secret" way to help out the kiting community. It requires you to become a legislator yourself. This is extremely profitable if you "play the game" and don't "make any waves". With the right back room deals, you can get the money from the bicyclists redirected to kiters only (no windsurfers), and get some awesome launches built. That way, we get great access to kite locations, lots of contractors and lobbyist's get money or what they want, and kiters get another user group to pay for our launches. It is a WIN, lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, lose situation for lots of people. God save the Government!

Or like Butters says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0F6v1_iy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRbyKDUpk2k

"Night government."

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Feb 24, 19 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you guys for being realistic. For a moment I started losing hope in a humanity. Now I can get to the water with a smile. And for the one guy who wants to volunteer in paying extra and necessary fees, thank you for your "Alexandria Occasional Cortex view ", but it won't work for the rest of us with common sense.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Feb 24, 19 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

I thought alexa’s cortex was occluded, more than occasionally. All the same:
“Alexa, order me a mofungo, Bacardi and coke, and 2 boat permits”
Never hurts to ask, ya know...

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 25, 19 4:43 pm    Re: hey, Cut the Crap here Reply with quote

Inflictor wrote:
As I look out my window this morning in Lyle, woken up by the sound of snowplows on Feb 24th, I realize there just will NOT be any sandbars available anywhere on the Columbia for watersports enthusiasts (let alone kiters) until what maybe August? If you enjoy crawling all over each other, with your $3000 GEAR, dragged off the top of your $120000 Sprinter van, at the only safe launches (maybe 3 or 4) along a 100 mile stretch of river, fine. You're gonna get what you're asking for. Without enough money to do improvements that will benefit all user groups this spring, in a short window of time,( Bart negotiated 2 weekends only from Wa, state parks, for Doug's improvements alone). It's gonna take expensive heavy equipment and alot of dedicated manpower to pull it off.
As far as the proposed increase in boat fees on navigable interstate waters, if it leads to more, better, safer, with sanitary facilities and PARKING, access points to the river, I'm going to purchase those tags for my 8'6 SUP, 5'8 kiteboard, 7'11 windsurfer. and smile as I want to be part of the solution, and role up my sleaves and get to work. Someone please post this on ALL the other user group forums, you know who I mean. It's already taken me 2 hours to peck this out and I gotta go shovel my driveway for the umteenth time (never before in Feb in 37 yrs here) and ski down the street to the quickly disappearing Lyle sandbar and set a track! Thx, Inflictor Out

Um, my sprinter was only $75k, and its 4x4. Just sayin ... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: