Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fix for Slingshot GW-91/Moses 633 floating on side?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSat Jan 26, 19 6:19 am     Reply with quote

Brian H wrote:
Does anyone know if the Mhl lift 170 floats on it side for long periods of time like the 633 on the same given board ?

First hand knowledge, the Lift 170 does not float on it’s side for extended periods of time.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jan 26, 19 7:05 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
First hand knowledge, the Lift 170 does not float on it’s side for extended periods of time.

There's the solution. Nick sells his Lift 170 to Christy.. Wink

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSat Jan 26, 19 7:32 am     Reply with quote

apctjb wrote:
Quote:

There's the solution. Nick sells his Lift 170 to Christy.. Wink

I don’t think so. 😎 not yet.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 26, 19 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

Just got off the water in a funky light flukey wind session here near Manzanillo MX. I'm on my Kanaha Shapes 37, with a 633/483 and a 91cm Onda mast. I can say that I LOve the way it lays on its side. It just sits there waiting for you to calmly put your strapless feet in position.... have a smoke... sine the kite and go.

The bodydrag is similar to any twintip. But how would I know, haven't touched one in years. Smile

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostSat Jan 26, 19 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

Hi kip , how's the wind in Manzanillo for foil boarding ? a bunch of my friends go there to paraglide and I've been meaning to get there to paraglide and I would like to foilboard also . Thanks

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 26, 19 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

Brian,
I have been coming here for 28 years. We live in Melaque which is 40 minutes north of Manzanillo. I used to ride my huge 16m Rebel, a Glide, and I still carried taxi fare in my pocket. It's pretty light, but since foiling, I'm getting 2-3 sessions a week on an 8m and foil. The best months are Feb to May. Not perfect.... but worth bringing gear if you can. Hey!! I have gear you can borrow. I'm here til the end of March, I have a spare Doyle & Moses 590. You'll need a kite. Probably a 12m
Kip

Brian H wrote:
Hi kip , how's the wind in Manzanillo for foil boarding ? a bunch of my friends go there to paraglide and I've been meaning to get there to paraglide and I would like to foilboard also . Thanks

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostSat Jan 26, 19 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Kip . I would drive down for a couple months and bring all the toys . 2 to 3 days a week doesn't seem that good 4 to 5 would make it worth the drive .

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Jan 26, 19 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

BTW, the 633 laying on it's side for ages is a saltwater only thing. I tried mine in a freshwater pool today, it immediately starts to sink--albeit slowly--in freshwater. The extra buoyancy of the wing in saltwater is what keeps it up on it's side...

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 27, 19 6:24 am     Reply with quote

I disagree Nak, I had problems in the Gorge with the 633 floating on it's side. On 20% of my falls it would do it. There is a certain angle to the wind after a crash where it would happen.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 27, 19 7:30 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
I disagree Nak, I had problems in the Gorge with the 633 floating on it's side. On 20% of my falls it would do it. There is a certain angle to the wind after a crash where it would happen.

Interesting. What board do you have? With my 4ft 8 galaxy and a 633 in the pool, the wing immediately started sinking as soon as I let go. The galaxy has a volume of 20 l. If you have a lower volume board, that would definitely make a difference. i.e. the board wants to float so it pushes up, so the wings sinks

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 27, 19 7:51 am     Reply with quote

I have the Alien Air in the gorge and a home built in LV by Dave Bixby, similar boards.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 27, 19 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Likewise. The 633 stays on its side for me in The Gorge. Using a small DC pocket board.

As an aside, I had two 633 wings for a time. The "earlier" model was noticeably heavier. It was a loaner from a friend who works in the industry while I waited for my order to come in 2 months later. When my 633 came, "later" model, it was a lot lighter and a floater.

I wish it would not float when in fast current. At all other times it's not an issue. And yes, I am a good upwind body dragger. Deal is, in April it's not a lot of fun chasing your board in cold water.

Brian H

Since 08 Aug 2015
54 Posts

PostSun Jan 27, 19 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone ridden the lift 170 and the Moses 633 that can compare the 2 would be great info .

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 27, 19 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

I just tossed it in the pool. Kanaha Shape 37" 633/91 Onda mast. After a 1/2 hour it never sinks. Oh well. I can tell you that compared to yesterday in salt water.... yes, It floats deeper in fresh. In the salt water yesterday it seemed like the wing was dry almost to the mast:

https://youtu.be/O_rXSE1U0ho

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 27, 19 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

So weird. Just tossed mine in the pool again. Brand new 2.0 version from Slingshot. Starts sinking immediately. Sinks very slowly though. Takes about 60 seconds to sink completely. Stays on it's side forever in salt water. I'll have Barnes try it with his Moses version and low volume board in the next day or two.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 28, 19 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Nak,
Could it be that my Moses version of the 633 with the Onda 91 mast, purchased December 2018 from Bobby in Long Beach CA is a different version and more flotation?

And.... Is this a real "problem"? So far it seems like a plus in light wind tropics ocean waters as the strapless is easier. Wonder if this could create issues at Jones in The Alley?

Nak wrote:
So weird. Just tossed mine in the pool again. Brand new 2.0 version from Slingshot. Starts sinking immediately. Sinks very slowly though. Takes about 60 seconds to sink completely. Stays on it's side forever in salt water. I'll have Barnes try it with his Moses version and low volume board in the next day or two.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 30, 19 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, hard to say. I'm pretty sure my slingshot version is identical to a new Moses. In the right light you can even still see the outline of the old Moses graphics. I am using a different stabilizer, but I can't imagine it would make that big of a difference. I'm using a slingshot 42cm hover Glide stabilizer. That and the way I have it mounted probably add a tiny bit of weight. On the other hand I'm using titanium screws which subtract a tiny bit of weight. As far as the body dragging to it, must have something to do with the exact choice of board. And maybe how well the kite goes up wind?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: