Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Damaged LF Galaxy foilboard
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 21, 18 8:06 am    Damaged LF Galaxy foilboard Reply with quote

I flew down to mex with my Galaxy board, pool noobles on the edges.

United managed to ding it up.

Any idea who to re-seal this delam on the edge?

Thanks.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 21, 18 8:55 am     Reply with quote

It is hard to see the damage

If I were on a short trip, I would just use something quick, easy and effective. Wait until you get home to give it a proper repair if needed. Solarez

there is a similar discussion here.
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-45097.html&sid=ffb4b9e1b7a3142e585ee4e51f04f0b6

Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Wed Nov 21, 18 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 21, 18 8:55 am     Reply with quote

If you are still in LV there's a Facebook La Ventana Garage Sale where there's repair help:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1693539184298377/

Also La Ventana Kiteboarding:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/421458964632341/

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 21, 18 9:04 am     Reply with quote

That's an interesting photo.
Is it a ding or did the board delam?
I can't imagine a long delam like that would be caused by abusive baggage handlers.... was the outside of the board bag scratched or ripped?
What's your theory on how it happened?

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 21, 18 9:27 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
That's an interesting photo.
Is it a ding or did the board delam?
I can't imagine a long delam like that would be caused by abusive baggage handlers.... was the outside of the board bag scratched or ripped?
What's your theory on how it happened?

Its a delam, no damage to bag. But you can see where the edge is a little compressed.
I dont think it is a manf warranty issue, and would not claim that.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 21, 18 9:31 am     Reply with quote

probably just use the solx resin stuff. Seems to be easiest solution.
Thanks for the input.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 21, 18 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Would not advise using solarez, as it will likely not cure adequately internally, and you need to use a bonding resin to both seal the interior and reattach the outer ASA skin at the seam.

If the glass (internally) appears to be damaged or impacted:
Basic hardware store epoxy will do the trick. A baby feeding syringe for injecting the epoxy and some duct tape or packing tape to hold the seam back in place while it cures is best.

If the seam is just splitting apart due to impact and the glass (internally) seems intact:
Super Glue (hardware superglue or better yet, Super 'T' glue) can be injected into the seam to hold it back in place and hopefully seal it up.

Do not use Gorilla glue or any other messy carpentry glues.

www.Purestokesports.com

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Nov 22, 18 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Agree as to 2 part epoxy injected or forced into the delam. I repaired a happy foil with a similar issue with very good long term results using JBWeld slow cure. Very good for marine applications. Love the stuff.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Nov 23, 18 7:50 am     Reply with quote

I'll second both Pepi's and wallydog's comments. Solarez isn't going to work here. A slow cure epoxy will be the easiest to deal with and give you the strongest repair. It's also a good idea to do a dry run of your repair. i.e. set up however you're going to clamp the repair in place before you apply the epoxy. Then, once you know EXACTLY how your clamp system will work, add the epoxy and clamp. I like to use a clamp setup over tape in this situation because it's easier to clean off any excess epoxy once it's clamped in place. use some sort of plastic bowl to mix the epoxy--and mix it well. Or, there are epoxies now that have a mixing tip. These are really nice to use. The tip has passages that spiral across each other and mixes the epoxy and hardener completely before it comes out of the tip. If you might be doing other repairs down the road, the West system of epoxies is really, really nice to have on hand in your workshop. Too expensive for just one repair, but I love having it on hand for all sorts of projects. https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/DIY-Using-Epoxy-Systems

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Nov 23, 18 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
I'll second both Pepi's and wallydog's comments. Solarez isn't going to work here

I think what many of you are suggesting is for a home repair. What about the person with limited access to tools and time that want to make the most out of their vacation? I believe that is the scenario here.

Short of finding another board to ride, what is a simple beach repair to secure the most time on the water and enjoying beverages on a well earned vacation?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 23, 18 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

Paul,
SolRez is good for what it is, but I've found it weak in strength. Tried a quick fill and repair of a foil wing 2 years ago and it failed within one session. As far as your "Quick Repair" maybe Marine Tex is stronger. But for my money, I'd slop some 2-part epoxy as suggested and wait overnight.
Kip

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Nak wrote:
I'll second both Pepi's and wallydog's comments. Solarez isn't going to work here

I think what many of you are suggesting is for a home repair. What about the person with limited access to tools and time that want to make the most out of their vacation? I believe that is the scenario here.

Short of finding another board to ride, what is a simple beach repair to secure the most time on the water and enjoying beverages on a well earned vacation?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 24, 18 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Bruce Sheldon in LV can fix this is no time, just ask around where he is now located. Last time I used him he was living at his pizza place across from Playa Central.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 26, 18 10:43 am     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:

Good point. It needs to be waterproof and strong. Two part epoxy, ideally clear, ideally 60 minute or longer cure time. Mix it well. Inject it into the crack. wipe off excess while someone else holds the repair tight. Duct tape together. Prior to the end of the cure time, when the unused portion of the mixed epoxy feels rubbery, remove duct tape while assistant holds repair tight. (This step ensures you don't stick the tape to the board permanently...) Scrape off excess epoxy with a razor. pull the razor backwards so the blade can't dig in... Re-tape. Wait till unused and mixed epoxy is hard, and cure time has passed. Remove tape. IMPORTANT: Practice this WITHOUT the epoxy as many times as it takes to do it perfectly. Then use the epoxy.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 26, 18 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Would not advise using solarez, as it will likely not cure adequately internally, and you need to use a bonding resin to both seal the interior and reattach the outer ASA skin at the seam.

If the glass (internally) appears to be damaged or impacted:
Basic hardware store epoxy will do the trick. A baby feeding syringe for injecting the epoxy and some duct tape or packing tape to hold the seam back in place while it cures is best.

If the seam is just splitting apart due to impact and the glass (internally) seems intact:
Super Glue (hardware superglue or better yet, Super 'T' glue) can be injected into the seam to hold it back in place and hopefully seal it up.

Do not use Gorilla glue or any other messy carpentry glues.

would you use c clampls or another type of clamp to hold it together? Does not appear that holding or taping the seam together will acutally create enough pressure to work.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 27, 18 6:28 am     Reply with quote

I do the same as Nak but l use packing tape and leave it on until it wears off in a few months. Harbor Freight has cheap clear 2 part epoxy in super glue like tubes and now a double syringe with mixer tip which I haven’t tried yet. I keep them in my car and have done a fix on the beach in under an hour especially in warm sun

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 27, 18 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

Like what gruber mentioned. Packing tape, pulled tightly over the seam can help seal things up until the resin has cured, and will also leave a smoother finish.

I can't imaging fitting clamps to make the seam close, but highly tensioned packing tape should be able to do the job.

Photos?

www.Purestokesports.com

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 27, 18 2:39 pm     Reply with quote

great resolution from LF. Seam split and LF is going to warranty it.

Great customer service.

Thanks for all your input.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: